Line Conditioners?

Options
okiepolkie
okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
edited November 2004 in Electronics
The system I am helping to install will have a Sony 61" plasma tv($20,000).

Is this technology any more susceptible to fluctuations in voltage than a standard CRT?

The system will also have a minimum of three multichannel amplifiers(whole house system) on the same circuit.

Will a line conditioner be needed for everything as a precaution, or will a high quality stand-alone surge protector be sufficient?

What are some suggestions for good line conditioners or surge protectors?

Thanks for the help.
Tschüss
Zach
Post edited by okiepolkie on

Comments

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Yes! Plasma's love to show off the flaws of everything, from source units to power lines. You definitely need a good line conditioner for a good plasma. Plus, if someone bought a 17k plasma (I hope they didn't pay 20!), then they can afford $7-800 for a quality power bar. Look into the Monster rack mounts...well worth the bucks! 5100 would be a good start unless they don't mind spending the $1400 for the 7000 which is the best Monster Power makes...
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Set them up with the 7000 and 2000 Monster perfect power setup. The 7000 will re-build the current to a perfect 60 Hz, while the 2000 voltage stabilizer will produce a constant 120v. When a system draws that much power the equipment alone will create and unstable supply. I have seen this combination produce a constant -7 to -16 voltage drop during peak requirements. This combination runs $2800, but when you’re dropping that much into a system, why not maximize its potential.

-Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I think the above suggestion is overkill, but I'm also not against the idea given the proper application.

I like the concept of power conditioning and power supply in an external format. Depending upon your area, you may experience some crazy things during the course of a day, or your listening period. It's mostly a peak hours issue, but if it makes you feel good, and you can afford it, carry on.

You should do SOMETHING to protect your gear, and I don't care whom you choose....just choose someone.

I'll probably do a substation type setup in-house, but it's nowhere close to the top of the list of things that matter most.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I'll probably do a substation type setup in-house...
    Mark,
    Would you please elaborate a tad on this?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2004
    Options
    No.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Is substation like a sub-panel off of your main panel? In my house at the farm in IA, I ran a 60 amp sub-panel off of my main 200 amp service panel. This sub-panel feeds all stereo, home theater, and computer related circuits. These circuits go thru an industrial power regulator, conditioner, surge protector made by Dayton (I believe!) that an electrician friend picked up at a business closing auction. Works very nicely. If you wanted to bypass any electrical noise made by your main panel, have your electrician or power company install a meter base with dual lugs and you can run a separate service right off of your meter.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    Options
    dkg,

I was thinking along those lines, but with a 220 - 110 transformer in the mix.

I guess we'll never know...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Tour - now that would make it more of a sub-station! My electrician friend specializes in commercial wiring, mainly for hospitals. He was able to show me some things to do to prevent noise in the electrical supply, mainly thru use of good components, and using a dialectric grease on wire connections to prevent oxidation buildup and the associated noise.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by jrausch
    Set them up with the 7000 and 2000 Monster perfect power setup. The 7000 will re-build the current to a perfect 60 Hz, while the 2000 voltage stabilizer will produce a constant 120v. When a system draws that much power the equipment alone will create and unstable supply. I have seen this combination produce a constant -7 to -16 voltage drop during peak requirements. This combination runs $2800, but when you’re dropping that much into a system, why not maximize its potential.

-Jer

Not quite. Monster products do not re-build/correct the AC wave.

The 7000 has stage 5 level of filtering with two 2.5A transformers that provide balanced power for smaller components. The 2000 regulates the voltage (and may filter as well?) using a series of taps (hense the noise others on the forum have noted).

PS Audio has products (Power Plants) that re-generate AC power. Exactpower has a product that regulates and corrects the existing AC wave. There are others that regulate the voltage, but do not correct the wave form. For regulation and wave form correction, the Exactpower unit would be my choice.
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited November 2004
    Options
    For more on substations and power supplies in-house, check out www.richardgrayspowercompany.com
    The units are very expensive, but one unit will clean your whole circuit, plugged into the unit or not. Whether you buy one or not, there is plenty to read about line conditioners/substations as a concept.

I have the Monster HTS 5100, and it works great. The unit was recently recommended in Home Theater Magazine as well.
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner