Epson 5040 anyone?

Ricardo
Ricardo Posts: 10,636
What's up guys. I am extremely happy with my Epson 8100 that I've owned for 7 years or so, but the itch is starting...
I've seen some very good reviews for the 5040. Pretty decent price for "close" to 4K too.
Anyone here has one and want to share their experience? Like I said I have no complaints on my current.one, but if I can see a considerable improvement I would definitely go for it.

Thanks!!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Comments

• It is a model I was looking at. You just missed the Black Friday deals. Check out the prices at the Projector People if you decide to get it. I ended up not pulling the trigger at all. I'm going to wait to see what happens this year. I'm looking at the Optoma uhd65 instead. I know about the better black levels on the Epson, but don't think it will make so much of a difference in movie viewing. The Optoma has better contrast. I've only gotten to see the 5040 demo'd. It was pretty good, Bang for your buck, both of these units seem to be pretty good. Can one get a better pq? Yes. but you'll be paying for it. 3 grand and below is my threshold just like yours.
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2017
    Thanks. I also looked at the Optoma. Comparisons don't give a clear winner so based on my great experience with Epson I would pick the 5040.
    I know that compared to my 8100 the extra brightness and the huge contrast difference will make for a better picture even without the 4k enhancement via pixel shifting.....the question is if the difference is worth the extra $2,600.

I guess I'll never know unless I try it

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    JVC RS400/420/440 all day, every day. They are just better at everything and same price ballpark.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Ricardo
    Thanks ZLTFUL. Not really what I have seen in comparisons. Blacks do seem to be better though. But it is at least $500 more, and I understand lamps are more than twice than Epson lamps.

SOPA
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Having seen them in person, the differences in performance are worth those small increases in price (the JVC lamps are nearly twice as much if you shop around).

During the AVS Forum KC home theater crawl early this year, someone summed it up perfectly when they said, "The JVCs just seem to do everything better and it is like they actually project black." There was a pretty even division between Epson, Panasonic and JVC with only a couple of Sonys. 2 of the Epson owners ordered up JVCs after doing side by side comparisons.

That being said, I am currently torn between the JVC RS540 and the Sony 285ES for my own theater. I am leaning towards the JVC though for the lens memory as I am going to be using a constant image height screen.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Ricardo
    Damn ZLTFUL......shut up...you now have me wondering... :):):)

SOPA
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Wait after CES and see what clearance sales come up...CES in January
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Wait after CES and see what clearance sales come up...CES in January

Is CES better than Black Friday? I've been pricing these units for a few months. I pretty much know what they are selling for. :smile:
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    CES is in with the new out with the old....Best TV values are between CES through superbowl sales

No such thing as Superbowl Sales...it's actually a years end clearance
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Special pricing on the 5040 today only The Projector People

I've been pricing this unit. They have a really good deal today.
  • Nevermind. Price went back up :(
  • Ricardo
    edited December 2017
    5040 is up and running. Have only watched for an hour or so but here's the quick comparison with the 8100 viewing in daylight (Theater in the basement but there's a walkout so some light gets in.
    -Normal TV. Better brightness is all I can see for now. But just watched a few minutes.
    -4K from Netflix and Amazon through Xbox one S. OMG. Can't wait until it's dark..
    -Blu Ray on Xbox one S: I don't have any 4K movies but watched a bit of Avatar with the fake 4k and it is really impressive.

So far very happy. I need to look into calibrating it to get the best out if it.

A couple of pictures:

5040 vs 8100 side by side and look at the optical HDMI vs. the beast it replaced:

q47tr7cowtsb.jpg
    yg8xgv0abomh.jpg

SOPA
  • Very nice! I have the 5030UB and I love it so I can only imagine what the 5040 must be like.
    Running 5.1.4, Yamaha RX-A 2070, Parasound A31, Polk LSiM 707 (Fronts), Polk LSiM 706 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Surround), Polk TL3 (Atmos), HSU VTF-2 MK4, Epson 5030UB, Silver Ticket 110"