Tidal v Spotify

I have to admit some ignorance here on my part. I haven't been listening to much other than Pandora *gasp*, YouTube music videos *DEEP GASP*, and music I already own via Plex.

I'm thinking of asking for a subscription to either Spotify or Tidal for Christmas.

I tend to listen on a multitude of devices, Roku, Xbox One, iPhone 6 Plus, Laptop.

I know Tidal *should* be the best bet, but I'm wondering how "close" Spotify can get when your not "critically" listening often.

I'd love to hear from people that have and use both, or had one and went to another and why.

As dumb as it sounds, if Tidal cant be played from an Xbox One, thats pretty much a dealbreaker for me as I use my Xbox One downstairs as my source for MOST of my stuff, and use Roku's upstairs.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I believe Dan, Tidal needs a third party app to run on xbox. Not really a big issue. Spotify is more main stream, and cheaper, so for casual listening I'd go for the cheaper option.

Tidal does have video though, so if your into that, the extra coin may be worth it to you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Tidal has two tiers one at $10 and one at $20 so tidal can cost the same as Spotify.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I tried Tidal when it first came out. Thought the UI was a chore to navigate. Stuck with paid Spotify. Have been happy since.

Have I tried Tidal again? No.
    Will I? Doubtful.
    Why? Because I'm content...and lazy.

I don't "critical listen". I relax and space out. Usually with a beer. Spotify handles this admirably.

Ymmv.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Spotify...no contest. Unless you’re critical listening. Spotify sounds very good through a good DAC and unless you’re switching back and forth to lossless on some really good equipment your not going to know the difference. The UI is way better and is available on many more devices such as smart TVs and AVRs.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    If the goals are ubiquity and casual listening, Spotify wins hands down. Great features, interface, easier to share playlists with more folks, etc. This from a satisfied tidal subscriber. For me, the extra 10 bucks a month for tidal is worth the few hours of critical listening I get to do. And I have access to it on all my devices. But I agree with @jeremymarcinko that I really have to sit down and pay attention to quality recordings to hear a difference, and with 4 young kids that doesn’t happen very often. On the other hand, it’s 10 bucks a MONTH. You could easily save than by taking a pb&j to work for lunch a couple days a month...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited December 2017
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    If the goals are ubiquity and casual listening, Spotify wins hands down. Great features, interface, easier to share playlists with more folks, etc. This from a satisfied tidal subscriber. For me, the extra 10 bucks a month for tidal is worth the few hours of critical listening I get to do. And I have access to it on all my devices. But I agree with @jeremymarcinko that I really have to sit down and pay attention to quality recordings to hear a difference, and with 4 young kids that doesn’t happen very often. On the other hand, it’s 10 bucks a MONTH. You could easily save than by taking a pb&j to work for lunch a couple days a month...

Well, I was thinking more of Tidal Premium (20) v Spotify Premium (10) or Spotify Family (15). I didn't know about Family. That would save me from the Netflix problem we had before we setup accounts as I kept getting recommended shows like Bob the Builder followed by House of Cards because my daughter and I were watching on teh same account.

That might be the ticket. Skye, Tasha and I could all have our own accounts so we could all have our own playlists...

I like to skip around a lot, so not having ads or X number of skips would be worth 10 bucks.

But I think the fact that Tidal isnt on the Xbox One may be the killer.

There is so much out there that I DONT own, and can't afford to buy and buy and buy, that I used YouTube to create my playlists for my kids and some for myself. And while there is some music I'd let my daughters listen to LYRIC wise (that I dont already own), the music video's sometimes are a bit more than I want to expose them to.

So with either, we can enjoy the music, without the video's, which they will like.

And more importantly, the playlists I curate will be available on all our devices, which was also the other goal.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2017
    Tidal also offers MQA with its $20 option. Of course, if music is just background noise then the $10 lossy files are okay.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    Yes, I was thinking tidal hifi is 10 bucks more a month than Spotify premium, and it’s worth it to me. Like at work I use my laptop through a drangonfly black and some nice cans and I can get MQA and that’s the main time I can take a few minutes here and there and really enjoy highSQ.

As for playlists, You can also create different playlists on tidal. I have a car ride playlist for riding with the kids, and a couple kids dance party playlists. But they would also be able to see your playlists if that is a concern.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • EndersShadow
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    But they would also be able to see your playlists if that is a concern.

Yeah that was my thought. They may not INTEND to click on it, but they could lol...

I'm also wondering if Spotify Family has the ability to set parental controls on music so they cant listen to music if its rated more than X.

Regardless I just saw that Spotify Premium is .99 cents for 3 months, so I'm going to sign up for it, try it for a couple months, and if I like it, convert to a family plan.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I'm also wondering if Spotify Family has the ability to set parental controls on music so they cant listen to music if its rated more than X.

What the fuzzy is X-rated music?! Is that like pron without the video feed...i guess i could make that work... ;)

I don't see anything about parental controls in the settings area.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    mrbiron wrote: »

What the fuzzy is X-rated music?! Is that like pron without the video feed...i guess i could make that work... ;)

I don't see anything about parental controls in the settings area.

LOL... in that sentence X is meant to be a variable as I forget the ratings on music :p
  • Tidal has a 30 day free trail right now, regular or hifi choices. I'm trying both since they can be canceled after the trial ends if needed.

What I need to find is a good cheap source of flacs or other lossless files to add to my collection. Then internet streaming wouldn't be necessary.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• rooftop59
    edited December 2017
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    What I need to find is a good cheap source of flacs or other lossless files to add to my collection. Then internet streaming wouldn't be necessary.

So you just want someone to give you a bunch of cd quality files for free?!?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • BlueFox
    Hey, what is wrong with high-def, or DSD, files for free. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

So you just want someone to give you a bunch of cd quality files for free?!?

Well that would work I guess... o:) HD tracks is a bit expensive, finding places that are cheaper would be great.

I had most of my CD's stolen a few years ago. They got hundreds of them. Lately I buy CD's from Salvation Army, check out ones from libraries, use Craigslist and hit rummage sales. I still have tons of holes to fill though.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• rooftop59
    Well that sucks man, and I think you have a good approach. Lots of cheap used options out there. Don’t forget eBay and Amazon. You can easily get older used cds for 4-6 bucks shipped.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Now that I got my office rig up and running, I am trying both Tidal and Spotify for a few months to see which one I like better. Initial thoughts are both sound decent.

This is coming from an old school guy who said he would never listen to music on the internets LOL.
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    I had Spotify for years. Used it for previewing records (vinyl) I want to buy. Squeezebox stopped supporting it. Now I have Tidal. Sounds much better. Don't know anything about playlists. I listen to albums (old school, retired)
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• BlueFox
    Spammer.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    ^^^^
    You must be related to Martinling
  • This new update is great as i was getting some hanging problem after update it is recover. If you are a music lover and facing any music transfer related problem then visit my friend website MusConv.com tool with the help of you can easily handle your problems.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    You started off a bit shaky and fell to pieces near the end.

LOL @ "your friend's tool", though.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    TimFloyd wrote: »
    This new update is great as i was getting some hanging problem after update it is recover.

After update it is recover?
    If you are a music lover and facing any music transfer related problem then visit my friend website

Is the website literally your friend or did you mean my friend's website?
    with the help of you can easily handle your problems.

With the help of what? With the help of which you can...?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Viking64
    I think he is trying to say that if you have a problem with your tool, he would be glad to handle it for you.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I think he is trying to say that if you have a problem with your tool, he would be glad to handle it for you.

PM sent!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Viking64
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »

PM sent!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :p
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    SSSUUU REPORTED
  • Its all about quality , otherwise all of us get bose.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    ^^^^
    Reported Piloy for SPAM.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Spotify is better. It can satisfy the basic needs of listening to streaming music. Also, almost all the latest tracks are available on Spotify. And It is easy for me to enjoy my favourite Spotify tracks without premium by using the drmare Spotify music converter.