2»

Comments

• W4HBM
    W4HBM Posts: 15
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Dear Tour,

Here's a blast: "Daaaaiiisssy, Daaaaaiissy...."

Sorry about those from-hunger photos. I use this camera for taking pictures of construction defects in power plants and up on towers. Maybe I need a new one one of these days.

I'll try again. Here's a pic for "H-Bomb too" Every home needs one of these. I figure that when the bell rings I'll have about 3 milliseconds before the house vaporizes, which hardly gives the sound wave of the bell ringing to rattle my eardrums, but, a warning is a warning. The funny thing is that the unit is mounted on shock absorbers. Maybe it's meant for installation in a missle silo and not a private home. I'll have to write a letter to the manufacturer and inquire......

By the way, thanks for all your hospitality on the reflector here.

Hal
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I still dont understand (big surprise eh?)
    What is the exact point of doing something like this??

And the generation gap rears its ugly head...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • W4HBM
    W4HBM Posts: 15
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    And the generation gap rears its ugly head...

Dear Mr. Definitive,

Let's say you're listening to a radio program originating thousands of miles away on shortwave. The wave the station is transmitting, being on shortwave, is perhaps over 100 feet long.

This wave travels up to the ionosphere, bounces down, hits the earth, bounces up, and continues to do so with your receiver somewhere in the path.

Because the ionosphere is not a shining mirror held stationary up over the earth at 130 miles altitude, and because it resembles the surface of a pot of water boiling rapidly, various parts of the waves hitting it are reflected at slightly different times, and this results in atmospheric fading as a receive-type interference. Very annoying as the good parts you're listening to just fade away.

If you were to use two receivers, one with your antenna pointed North and South, and another receiver with the antenna pointed East and West, the part of the wave that was delayed by the ionosphere might be picked up by an antenna pointed in another direction but at a slightly different time.

Using a binaural speaker, the two radios can play at the same time and the sound emitted will seem to originate from the same place.

Tuning one of the radios slightly off frequency, like 10 hertz or so, will offset the Doppler shift effect and the binaural speaker will again blend the two audio signals into a cohesive image.

Fifteen years ago I participated in Earth-Moon-Earth radio paths bouncing 450 MHz signals from the moon and was simply astounded when hearing the first echoes from the moon because they "shook" a certain way, and thast was explained to me as being "libration," or the effect of the entire moon wobbling along in its orbit and the 23 centimeter wavelength radio signal was acting like a Doppler radar with the effect of libration heard in the audio signal.

As well, when participating with the Mars Observer satellite team in developing a method to quickly retrieve images from the satellite I used a bird some 58,000 miles in altitude to relay images and experienced the wobbling reflections as the satellite spun, wobbled and travelled in its orbit going closer to or further away from the planet.

The entire point of all this is pure science. It has no practical application. It's done just so I could experience its effects and report to you and others of its success or failure to resolve aural images better than a single receiver/antenna on the same channel.

Respectfully,

Hal
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,044
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation...

I understood it (the best I could manage to)

Sounds like an interesting thing to try, will have to hear something like this one day (or maybe I shouldnt, may strike another money draining hobby)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by W4HBM

Here's a pic for "H-Bomb too" Every home needs one of these. I figure that when the bell rings I'll have about 3 milliseconds before the house vaporizes, which hardly gives the sound wave of the bell ringing to rattle my eardrums, but, a warning is a warning. The funny thing is that the unit is mounted on shock absorbers. Maybe it's meant for installation in a missle silo and not a private home. I'll have to write a letter to the manufacturer and inquire......

Hal

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Hal you are a riot!!! ***:D ROFLOL:D ***

Please do send a note to the manufacturer and I can't waite for their response.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    "WANT TO PLAY A GAME?"
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I knew things were going to get crazy when I saw the ham call sign... :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Crazy? This stuff is awesome! This is what I work with on a regular basis!

RADAR is merely radio signals and HAM radio is some impressive stuff when you get someone whos knows whats going on to talk about it!

Hal knows his stuff! I don't understand all of it because I am no where near as well versed but I can understand alot of what he is saying. I can tell you that he is not talking out of his aft regions either!

Hal, thank you for stopping by and asking your questions! I only wish I had a chance to get in on this thread earlier. It's refreshing to see some serious discussion that one can learn something from. The Internet is populated with so many people who want to talk specs and tolerances and such but nobody seems to want to lay down the science behind it.

I may have missed it in my rather hasty perusal but what did you do to the '400 to get the desired result? I actually worked with a binuaral device in college working on a robot that responded to voice commands. I didn't get too much into the engineering aspect unfortunatly because I had an over-bearing group leader who said my most valuable asset to the group was wiring skills. That's ok though, while working on equipment for the Drexel University HAM radio club, I learned more about binaural derivers and how they work. Pretty fancy stuff and more people who are interested in audio should look into them. I learned a great deal about sound reproduction messing around with that equipment!

I really hope you hang around and get more active 'cause I find your post extremely entertaining and exciting!

So what other little projects do you have laying around?

I'd comment on some of the less insightful posts in the thread *cough*Sid*cough* but I think it'd be a waste of time. All I'll say is that there is much much more to the world than face value. The small percentage of those who actually take the time to stop and look for that extra bit is so small saying "nobody stops to look" is statistically an accurate statement. Read a book, talk to that "geek" down the hall or just go and get your hands dirty. There is a whole world out there for your taking and lumbering through it in mouth-breathing, blissful ignorance is a pathetic way of doing things.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Oh and Hal, thanks for exercising my brain! That was refreshing! I don't always get to flex it that hard. The mundane parts of life get in the way.

• Tour2ma
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Jstas***
    I don't always ... flex it that hard.
    Sheeeeet... we knew that a long time ago... ;)

===========================
    *** and Originally Edited by Tour2ma...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Jstas
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Sheeeeet... we knew that a long time ago... ;)

===========================
    *** and Originally Edited by Tour2ma...

Forget Polk Master, you should have Polk Spin Doctor under your name!

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited November 2004
    Options
    damn you guys are smart