anybody try the Rega CD players from back in da-day?

I caught wind of one...
Apollo, Saturn?
Putting together a little system.

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Both have a nice sound to them but if you can find a used Jolida 100, I feel with the right tubes it out preformed both the Saturn and apollo.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I might also echo Brians thoughts. Personally I never found Rega players to be special, better than most consumer grade players, but nothing that's going to blow your sack back.

The Jolida 100....now that's a player you could live with for your remaining years.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Awesome! Thanks for the info!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I traded my brand spankin' new Rega Apollo back in the day for a used Jolida and some change. Until I bought my recent Marantz big boy SACD player, the Jolida did me justice and I preferred that over the Apollo.

What I didn't like about it was the "forward" sound. Everything got pushed up right in front of your face. Drove me 'knuckin' futz. The Jolida pulled back quite a bit and presented a really good depth perception as a result. I will say this, I never once had ANY disc skip on the Apollo the whole time I had it.

The one thing I liked at the time about was the top loading tray.....that is, right up until I had to add a piece of gear underneath it due to no more room on the rack. That presented an issue due to the amount of verticle real estate it needed to load and unload a CD.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I traded my brand spankin' new Rega Apollo back in the day for a used Jolida and some change. Until I bought my recent Marantz big boy SACD player, the Jolida did me justice and I preferred that over the Apollo.

What I didn't like about it was the "forward" sound. Everything got pushed up right in front of your face. Drove me 'knuckin' futz. The Jolida pulled back quite a bit and presented a really good depth perception as a result. I will say this, I never once had ANY disc skip on the Apollo the whole time I had it.

The one thing I liked at the time about was the top loading tray.....that is, right up until I had to add a piece of gear underneath it due to no more room on the rack. That presented an issue due to the amount of verticle real estate it needed to load and unload a CD.

Tom

I always thought they had some style points going with the funky top load, but never thought about placement issues.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    I had an Apollo. Sounded good enough, but not as good as an Opera Consanance CD120 Balanced that I still own. Like the others have said, the top loading feature made it not as versatile placement wise versus front loading players.
  • Well,

I took use guys advice. :)
    Pink Floyd Meddle test CD on now.
    cb2bhkbfko55.jpg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Enjoy brother......for many years to come.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • I don't remember if I read about the Opera Consanance CD120
    here or elsewhere but I've never crossed path with one. Well
    thought of indeed.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Awesome!! What tubes are you running? If you can find an old set of EI gold pins, on my rig, I thought they were a great matchup.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Thanks buddy. I'll look for some.