Changing to 4ohm and hooking Polk PSW10 to LFE input questions

Options
Hello all, I just got my hands on a Polk powered sub PSW10 from 2010 for free with a blown sub it calls for an 8 ohm speaker but I have a 10" JBL laying around that is only 4.
So, can I just leave the volume turned down on the unit so as not to drive it too hard or is there a way I can add to the resistance with some circuitry?
Also I'm trying to hook it up to my govideo dolby unit which has a red and black speaker output labeled woofer that the go video manual calls LFE (low freq effect). However, in the Polk the manual I found online (thank you crutchfield) states that it doesn't have an LFE input, but does have line in and to therefore use the front speaker outputs from the receiver etc.
What exactly is the difference between LFE and Front speakers? Is the voltage expected to be that much higher that it would damage the amp? If I measure the output voltage and it's not very different between front speakers and woofer outputs would it be okay to use that channel as opposed to running my front speakers through the Polk amp? If it's not possible could I modify the circuit to accept an LFE input? Thanks

Best Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The components in the crossover are designed to drive an 8 ohm nominal load. You need to use an 8 ohm nominal woofer.

All the LFE connections that I'm aware of use a single 75 ohm coaxial cable. I'm not familiar with your Go Video product, but it would seem you have positive and negative RCA cable connections, which you should be able to plug into the corresponding RCA jacks on the sub.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yeah ok, it was designed for running the original sub and that's it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• downwardflight
    Options
    Oh ok, I didn't know about the coaxial style connection. The govideo doesn't have rcas, the woofer/lfe channel are red and black speaker wire pinch terminals
  • F1nut
    Options
    Just to be clear the LFE cable is coaxial with RCA terminations.

So, I looked up Go Video and it appears you have some sort of all in one deal, but I never could find a good picture of the rear. I'm beginning to think your item originally came with its own subwoofer. Do you know?

Any reason you are not using dedicated components?

President of Club Polk

• downwardflight
    Options
    Yes originally it had 5 satellite speakers and a 40w 3 ohm sub oc02ruwovqsg.png
    1u6zx0djd2kn.png
    6bm4ae48wi4v.png
  • downwardflight
    Options
    I found just the headunit at a garage sale and already had some speakers laying around, trying to get something decent for less than 50$ basically. Theoretically I should be able to Y speaker wire from the woofer channel on the govideo to the speaker Inputs of the Polk, correct? I think I will try siliconing the woofer foam surround where it's torn and see what happens
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    None of this is ideal so fiddle with it until you get something that makes you happy. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. You're right that you should use the speaker line level outs to connect the subwoofer. To me it looks like you could two runs of speaker wire and then just twist them together before they go into the Polk sub. The tear in the foam can be repaired or you could replace the foam cheaply.