Magnifi Mini - without SUB ...?

Possibly a unique question ... what is the sound quality WITHOUT the sub?

I have limited space both room and shelves. Use mainly voice/dialog/drama - music,not so much .

So, feedback welcome ....

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Better than the typical TV speakers for sure. Unless you have a TV that has excellent speakers.

It's better with the sub obviously, so if you can find anywhere to place the sub that would be the best scenario.

But I would use just the sound bar without the sub if I had to. I'd keep the sub just in case your situation changes so you have it for the future.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Thanks for that useful info !
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    there are lots of soundbars with no sub, those might be better options. I would also suggest these if you can fit them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Technology-Incline-Bipolar-Desktop-Speaker-System/222601946329?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20160908110712&meid=0dd2c2aaa856463fb936af63a6e5b6a7&pid=100677&rk=1&rkt=16&sd=272528655250&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

They are awesome and with the DSP inside really give response into the 40s hz range. And you get true stereo reproduction, and a subwoofer output for future upgrading.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Nice BUT I need something compact - hence the appeal of the mini. Bass only needs to be adequate, not thumping deep!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    castalla wrote: »
    Nice BUT I need something compact - hence the appeal of the mini. Bass only needs to be adequate, not thumping deep!

You will not get any bass from the center unit. The bass (all the bass) comes from the sub. You will get better volume and increased clarity as well as some SDA properties (only if you have a multi-channel signal) through the center speaker vs. most TV's, by a lot. The speakers are far too small and the enclosure is far too small for any kind of bass response. It won't sound like a tin can, but no bass to speak of. Think small boom box type of presentation.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Thanks for all the advice