Magico SPOD spikes on S5 MKII

Options
BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
Was finally able to replace my stock spikes with the new SPOD spikes. They are breaking in now as the system warms up. Listening impression coming later tonight.

dhaww1op2kk5.jpeg
z8zoil4c9hsq.jpeg
e1sclye21sbm.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    I hope ya had help on the install.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Hopefully with lots of beer! Your floor looks super clean. Great pictures.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BlueFox
    Options
    chumlie wrote: »
    I hope ya had help on the install.

Yes, at 225 lbs per speaker I realized it was a bit awkward to try and push it back and remove/replace a spike by myself.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Hopefully with lots of beer! Your floor looks super clean. Great pictures.

I will try again tonight to listen. I was really tired last night and just went to bed. Slept 11 hours.

I wiped the floors down before the picture. I have burnt myself in the past where a picture showed dust on, or under, some gear. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I am surprised I haven't done something like that yet. I dislike light, and am always walking around in the dark. No comments from the peanut gallery. Aside from tripping over the dogs, and kicking the cats, nothing major yet.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    While I was very happy with my stock S5 MKII speakers, what I was reading about the improvements from the SPODs caught my attention. Especially since at $3K this was audio spare change, (I can't believe I just said that.).

Anyway, the chatter was the bass tightened up, and was obvious. Well, I can, and cannot, confirm that. Listening to bass heavy tracks from Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga I do feel there is a bit more articulation in the bass. In fact, on one Nicki Minaj track I had to sit up since I was hearing something new. Usually bass is a distinct thump from a point in space, but this was like a bass reverberation fading into the background. Basically, WTF was that?

However, I will say the overall sound now seems more coherent and precise with the treble, midrange, and bass.

I think one issue why the SPODs didn't jump out for me is because my system sits on flooring on top of a concrete slab, and that sits on the ground. If my floor was more average in that there was hollow space under it then I bet the SPODs would really make a very obvious improvement.

One interesting point is that I really like the way they look. Although no one else would even notice it, I think they go great with the speakers. On this site, and others, trolls will say the only reason why someone thinks their new cable, or gear, sounds better is because they are delusional and think the appearance is tricking them into thinking the sound is better.

I just shot that down since I am saying that while there might be a sound improvement, the physical appearance is a lot better. LOL.

I would recommend them to anyone on the fence. In fact, I wonder why they aren't standard with every S5.

Three 20 amp circuits.