receiver / amp recommendation for SDAc1's

SWHALEN
SWHALEN Posts: 14
edited July 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm sure this question has been asked before, maybe i haven't found the answer in the right place? I have been using a Technics receiver SA-GX650, it's a 120 watt@8 ohm, and is capable of running 4ohm or lower, and yes i know it's not the ideal piece for the job, Well its started to go to protection now, could be an age issue anyway it's time to update. My better 1/2 insist on a remote control, no knob turning for her. I have a Kenwood basic M2/C2 combo in the basement that drives these well but is not allowed up stairs, you know why W.F.A. Is there any receiver with a remote that has good specs/high current, to power the SDA C1's properly? without breaking the bank? I may be able to hide an amp behind something, so if used a preamp it would need a remote, do they make a affordable pre with remote? it's been awhile since i've been stereo shopping. She would prefer a receiver, 2 channel, the SDA's are the only speakers, listens mostly to cd's. any suggestion would be appreciated.

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Anthem 225 integrated. There are a couple on eBay with a 5 year warranty. Should pass the waf.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Inscrutabl0915
    Inscrutabl0915 Posts: 47
    edited July 2017
    Have driven some demanding speakers with a Plinius 8200 integrated, including SDA SRS2's.
    Or look for a Parasound pre/amp combo. Not sure if the Halo integrateds are common ground but the HCA amps are.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    SWHALEN wrote: »
    I'm sure this question has been asked before, maybe i haven't found the answer in the right place? I have been using a Technics receiver SA-GX650, it's a 120 watt@8 ohm, and is capable of running 4ohm or lower, and yes i know it's not the ideal piece for the job, Well its started to go to protection now, could be an age issue anyway it's time to update. My better 1/2 insist on a remote control, no knob turning for her. I have a Kenwood basic M2/C2 combo in the basement that drives these well but is not allowed up stairs, you know why W.F.A. Is there any receiver with a remote that has good specs/high current, to power the SDA C1's properly? without breaking the bank? I may be able to hide an amp behind something, so if used a preamp it would need a remote, do they make a affordable pre with remote? it's been awhile since i've been stereo shopping. She would prefer a receiver, 2 channel, the SDA's are the only speakers, listens mostly to cd's. any suggestion would be appreciated.

If a receiver is what pleases both of you, then your going to have to pony up some coin. They don't make powerful receivers like they used to....on the cheap anyway. Look at Yamaha Avantage line of receivers, Pioneer SC series of receivers too. Obviously you can always buy vintage again but a remote might be the problem.

If this is strictly for music, maybe an older B&k 307/505 Receiver, which has a remote, good build quality and good dacs inside. Outdated for HT use though but on music they are pretty darn good and around 300-400 on the used markets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SWHALEN
    edited July 2017
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, Tonyb, you have some good ones. I always see used receivers for example, Marantz A/V Black receivers, Denons, Onkyos, Yamahas, they all seem to have around 90 thur 120 watts, some claim they can drive 4ohm or lower but i just don't seem to see any with the right specs and high current. I do have a vintage Luxman 1070 reciever i am tempted to try, its a knob turner, it's only 70 watts per channel but sometimes they can surprise you. I'm trying to find an affordable solution, under a grand would be nice, under 500 would be better lol! It's a strictly music setup.
  • SWHALEN
    I've hooked up the Kenwood Basic M2A amp/C2pre that i use in the basement. Well the sound is noticeably better than before, i can't believe it ,i should have done this awhile ago. What a difference power makes with these speakers, a better preamp doesn't hurt either, it really opens up the clarity also. It seems the M2a has plenty of power to drive the, C1's. My wife can't complain any more, she agrees the sound is amazing. SHE SAYS SHE CAN LIVE WITHOUT THE REMOTE AFTER LISTENING! Looks like the Kenwood may stay. I did hook up my Luxman 1070, if you increased the volume it would distort a little, my guess would be lack of power/current , but sounded great at lower volume, both are much better than the old Technics that was there.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    The kenwood is a nice start as I have one but there are some better options. The kenwood will be bass shy with those. I found some Harman Kardon PA 2400 s that work much better if you want to stay cheap. You're just getting started.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • SWHALEN
    We have been listening for a few hours now and both agree what a difference, night and day, WOW! Sounds great. The bass seems pretty good with this combo, nice not overpowering but still noticeable, rattles some shelves. Legender i'm going to check out the HK and see whats out there. I noticed you have a Yamaha Mx 1000, how do you like it? Is it similar to the M2A? I have seen one for sale in my area. Would it be a good fit for the 1c's?, i'd still have to use the c2 preamp though.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Used the MX1000 for my 3.1s for a bit. It's a step up from the Kenwood for sure. The MX sounds fine until you get something else. A friend hooked me up with the yamahas as that is what he had in the 80s. It was a nice start for me but I've moved on from there. The HKs have auto sensing so you only turn on the pre. I'm currently waiting on my 'new to me' parasound A21 to be returned from CA to hook up to them. I think in the used amp market in that price range there are better choices.
    The MX is now feeding my monitor 7s.
    I think now that you've gone pre and amp combo it's going to be hard to go back to a receiver. Consider yourself spoiled.
    It's a journey. Enjoy the ride. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new sound.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • SWHALEN
    edited July 2017
    Thanks, i will enjoy listening for a while i think i will have to save up for a step-up in gear.