no "highend" in my right sda speaker

Options
mr pete
mr pete Posts: 17
edited November 2004 in Vintage Speakers
I have noticed that, when listening to my Sda's, that my right speaker does not have the same brillance as my left speaker. I called Polk and they were very helpful. I will test them tonight to make sure that they are not..blown!
If this turns out to be not the problem...how does one go about testing the crossover system?
Is there any other possibilities that might be causing the "high end" not to occur?

Thanks for you insight(s).
Mr.Pete--->
Post edited by mr pete on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Hi Mr Pete and welcome to the forum.

You didn't mention which SDA model you have.

If it's a model with dual sets of binding posts per speaker (for bi amping/ bi wiring), the problem could be as simple as one of the braided interconnects being loose/missing. But, I'm sure Polk CS would have suggested that.

Rather than external fuses, I believe most SDA's have internal circuit protection on the crossover boards. That component should auto reset if tripped. If it's defective, it's a fairly easy fix (and, I understand, available from Polk CS.)

Please give us more information: SDA model, speaker wiring used, amplification used, anything else you think is pertinent.
  • mr pete
    edited November 2004
    Options
    The model I have is SRS 2.3 tl's. I am sure that when I get the right side tweeters to work..I will love them even more. I did hear, a couple of times, a loud "thump" sound coming from my speakers.
    I am sure that when I was gone my son "cranked" them up....very loud.
    I chatted with Ken, from Polk, this afternoon. He suggested that if the speakers tested out ok...it might be a blown polyswitch. He said that this is not a big deal to fix. I am open to any "other" suggestions.

thanks for your time regarding this matter.
    Mr.Pete--->
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Ken's the man! I'm sure he's got you on the right track. The polyswitch (also called, I believe, a thermistor) is what I was referring to as being on the crossover circuit board in lieu of an external fuse.

Good luck with your diagnosis. 2.3tl's are gorgeous sounding speakers!

BTW - if your son cranked them in your absence, I doubt that they had too much power to them. They love power. What they hate is clipping caused by overdriving a low power amp to distortion levels.
  • mr pete
    edited November 2004
    Options
    While listening to his Rap...which I hate!!!!!!!!....I am sure that he turned the bass all the way up...and also the volume.
    I drive these with an old Grand Integra M-508 amp. It has been dependable to date.

thanks!
    Mr.Pete--->
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Yes, your M-508 @200 wpc should drive them very nicely! I wasn't implying you had an underpowered amp, and I trust you didn't take it that way. Distortion (clipping) destroys more well engineered speakers than power.

Best of luck. Let us know what the problem was when it's solved, will you?

Mike
  • mr pete
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I will let you know when this is finally figured out. I did not take any type of offense to your comment. I am just glad for the "insight(s)" provided by you and others.
    Mr.Pete--->
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited November 2004
    Options
    If you find the polyswitch isn't fried and it's actually the tweeters I have some minty SL3000's to sell you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mr pete
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Are they the same tweeters as come with the speaker? If not, what is the difference? What is the cost?

thanks!
    Mr.Pete--->
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Sure are, SL3000's in minty NOS condition and unavailable from Polk any longer. I can send you pics if you'd like. I paid full list price and that's all I'm asking for them, $80.00 each plus shipping.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mr pete
    edited November 2004
    Options
    My stereo wizard checked all my SDA speakers last night for me. I had one that was "blown" and one that measured 4 ohms...while the rest of them were 8 ohms. All had the number 6510 on them. I will replace the two of them but does anyone have any idea how one could be 4 oms...the rest 8??
    Thanks for you help.
    Mr.Pete--->
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by mr pete
    My stereo wizard checked all my SDA speakers last night for me. I had one that was "blown" and one that measured 4 ohms...while the rest of them were 8 ohms. All had the number 6510 on them. I will replace the two of them but does anyone have any idea how one could be 4 oms...the rest 8??
    Thanks for you help.

Mr Wizard found the mid-woofers damaged? The 6510 drivers are the mid-woofers rather than the SL3000 tweeters. This doesn't really explain the missing high-end in one speaker, but does seem to explain the thump sound you heard a while ago. The 2.3TL used identical MW6510 drivers for all the stereo and dimensional arrays. The drivers should all measure the same if they're removed and tested. :confused:

You can obtain replacement MW6510s from Polk. This may solve the problem, but I suspect there's something more you'll need to do.