Lets talk spikes and racks

Options
After seeing ER308L's rack. How important is it to spike everything? I am guessing that the most important spikes would be on the floor, is this true? I have this thing https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004U8A0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do yooz think it would be worth it to try replacing the leveling feet with spikes? They are something like 1/4" coarse thread, where do I look for such spikes? Most spike that I have seen cost as much as the shelf, so only cheapos need apply.
Thanks

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I guess it may be hard to find some rated for a couple hundred pounds?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What's the diameter of the legs?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    If you're that cheap make your own from threaded rod from the hardware store. grind down to a point, paint. I'd also buy a nut to chase the threads after cutting to straighten out any threads gnarled by the cuts.

or look below

http://www.adonacorporation.com/tweaks.html

http://www.oregondv.com/15spike.htm
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    ER308L wrote: »

OH SNAP! Thats who you need to talk to :smile:

He can make anything you want... for a price lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • afterburnt
    Options

I don't have a "peter meter" but eyeballing it I would say that it's 5/16 coarse X 2 1/2". I will check it at the hardware store tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yea I'll help a homie out. I'm already going to be making some spikes I can make four extra. Just pay me for material and shipping.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Turns out they are M8X1.25 pitch OAL is 1.75"
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Yea I'll help a homie out. I'm already going to be making some spikes I can make four extra. Just pay me for material and shipping.

Hell yeah you da bomb! Can you make the little dix that go under them too? 8 spikes 4 dix, how much do you think that woul run? Oh and can you make me a 15" barrel for my 44?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well I bought just enough to do four extra. The material I bought is 1.5" stainless. They'd basically be the same as mine except it'd be tapped with a M8x1.25.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Well I bought just enough to do four extra. The material I bought is 1.5" stainless. They'd basically be the same as mine except it'd be tapped with a M8x1.25.

That's cool, ya think I should use em for the system sitting on carpet or the one on the wood floor?
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    How about we talk spices and racks of ribs.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    Where's @Rick88 when you need him :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Got em! Damn Brian, you don't play! Thes spikes look like what should come out of the business end of a GAU-8! Thanks man, if you ever make another batch I could use another set if that's not too much to ask. Hey, you think you could make me a stainless Morning star, if that's legal that is?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Glad you like them! I'll see what I can do about another set :)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,453
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Brian, you taking orders on these janks?
    I disabled signatures.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Seriously, i'd pay a nice penny for a set to fit my SDA 2bs.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I like points on racks. ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The thing is if I'm going to do these as a group I'll have to do a boat load of them to justify it. And to cut down on costs.
    Another member on here sent me a PM wanting to get a price. I sent him this as an example.

304L stainless 1.5" dia 2" length (what i just did) = $12 per (material)
    labor at $21per hour ÷ part run time 30min per at = $10.5per (labor)
    material x labor= $22.5 per x 8pieces= $172
    plus tool wear (i burned through two different styles of inserts after 8 parts)= roughly $50(maybe more)
    plus shipping = worst case $25
    so in total it's $235.

But that's for what I did. People are going to want different sizes, material, and thread types.
    That means different programs and different set ups. And on top of that we only have one lathe so a decent size run could take months considering shop work has to come first.
    Is it worth the headache? Idk...
    That's why Larry's never done this, as well as CRS+ stands. Its to big of a pain in the d*ck to do. Lol
    This was just a random act of kindness for afterburnt. I saw this thread and I was already making some so if he was down for the same thing...well sure I'll help a homie out.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    Pandora's box has been opened.