Are drapes good for taming sound reflection?

The wall behind my mains has two big windows which would require custom blinds. It would be a lot easier to hang drapes to cover the whole wall instead. Would insulated blackout drapes be good for the sound or would it be insignificant?

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    DSkip wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    YES
    All long as they match the carpet :p

If you need help finding the right pattern, this is your dude.

Is Ron like an interior decimator?

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Lookit Bruce....If the bouce back from the drapes equals the friction reduction of the carpet...go for it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Yes they work. I had to do the same thing.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Skip's making fun because I coordinated drapes and a throw rug when my wonderful wife gave me another listening room in the house....it showed my feminine side.

But I learned long ago if the wife ain't happy no buddies happy...not a man cave but a fair compromise

And the real answer is yes...glass is bad for reflections
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Yes drapes good,glass bad. :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Lookit Bruce....If the bouce back from the drapes equals the friction reduction of the carpet...go for it.

... and then there's the dielectric constant differential between the materials to take into account. This danged hobby is so complicated.

:)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Hello afterburnt and good morning to you. To answer your question from trusted ears, professional acousticians as well as my own personal experience, yes. Heavy drapes can definitely make a huge change with reflections.

Here is a real world example. A good friend of mine, Steve Williams, moved from one state to another. In his new house, he had to custom create a listening room from scratch. Although this room was still a decent sized listening room, the new room was much smaller than his old listening room where his Wilson's had much more room to breathe. This gets into more detail as you read the link provided below.

Now I want you to keep in mind, this cat isn't on the same budget most of here on this forum are. In fact, he's on another planet when it comes to budget. I won't get into that because it's beside the point.

That aside, check out the link provided below. This is his new room. Please note what Steve says on post #3. In particular, #1 and #2.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?10535-Doctor-s-Orders-Part-Two-The-New-Listening-Room-Of-Steve-Williams

IMG_0005_zps564ab091.jpg

With that said, I have had the pleasure of hearing many a system in many different locations in cabins that we rent out for an audio event. In particular, cabin 11 at the Watershed cabins out in Western Carolina. I have heard my rigs as well as many other rigs through the years in various locations within the same cabin. My favorite location for systems auditioned in that cabin? The dining room (we remove the furniture) because the backdrop of the back wall and wall to the right has a thick drape from floor to ceiling and the other wall has a drape that goes down about halfway. All of the drapes cover windows or doors.

Although there is more space and room for any system to breathe in the main area of the cabin or even the loft upstairs, my preference has always been the dining room....and it's because of the drapes. I have been personally impressed so much by the drapes that I am very seriously considering adding them to my current listening room.

I hope this sheds a little bit of insight to your query.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Are we still talking about curtains and carpet?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    seems to be the case. I equate "drapes" with "curtains"; I guess maybe the difference is that curtains cover windows; drapes just -- drape(?).

I had drapes on the back wall of my room in college (an unfavorable acoustic space) behind my Polk Monitor 7s to provide a softer, deader (acoustically speaking) environment for them (FWIW). That's pushing 40 years ago :blush:
  • treitz3
    Curtains usually are a lighter fabric, thin or sheer and are usually hung by tabs. They are not lined and won't block out light. Drapes are usually pleated, are heavy, mounted to the wall via a rod and block out light FWIW.

I think that'll be enough trivial **** for today.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    smarty pants^^^ B)
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    YES
    All long as they match the carpet :p

I could say something to that, but as a woman, realize it is pointless..LOL
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2017
    For many there is no carpet these days

exit stage left
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    For many there is no carpet these days

exit stage left

In the context of windows or women?
    (or both -- oy vey)
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    any suggestion where to get the drapes? Please advise. Thank you.
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    The Drape Factory........
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Drapes R' us...
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    That is a nice room you posted Tom! I have black velvet draped on the front wall of my room as it gets projector usage too. You don't realize how much a single wall can affect the sound until you walk from my tile hallway talking as you go into my music room and notice how dead it is in comparison to the living room/hall that is tile covered.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Is there anything you can't get on Amazon?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2017
    ^^Prostitutes and body organs. Other than that, no.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorhead43026
    ^^ask Trump
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• motorhead43026
    ^^lucky you.....lol.

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Lots of acoustic info on this forum.

http://the-audio-expert.freeforums.net

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • mhardy6647
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Is there anything you can't get on Amazon?

Russian Mail Order Brides? :)

Yeah, but the drapes don't match the carpeting.
  • treitz3
    Let me guess without even looking it up...

Ethan Wiener?

Tom
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    How bout sheers?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I could impress the chicks!
    I ran from USA to Canada today. Didn't even need a shower. :o
    nbrowser wrote: »
    ^^lucky you.....lol.

I took this photo on the way to work one morning recently, scary factoid the flags...are in the CORRECT country to which they belong to. The American one is in America, Blaine WA to be specific. The Canandian one (my country) is in Surrey BC Canada.. we be close neighbours!

itxtbfzkqig0.jpg