Got an old friend to step up to real stereo

2»

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    the TSX speakers are pretty descent, i think your average person would be pretty happy with them.

We are not average persons...
  • FestYboy wrote: »
    the TSX speakers are pretty descent, i think your average person would be pretty happy with them.

We are not average persons...

maybe not but the guy who is buying those speakers is new to the whole audio thing so i would say he would be considered your average person.. till one day he possibly gets a really good stereo and sees the light.. lol than he is no longer a average person..
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    It's a progression guys. Not everyone starts with high end amps and speakers and wires. That's why we refer to it as the rabbit hole. We slowly get deeper and deeper. Heck, I started with Polk R50s and thought they sounded awesome.
    Little did I know how little I knew. :smile:
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I just wanna jump in here to say I was just joking around when I told Danny to shuddup. Pretty sure he knows I was just kidding.

Second, I agree with the progression thing, and I think it's great that spazmo's enjoying getting his buddy up to speed, and that his buddy his really getting into it. I just had a my first opportunity with this, myself, in having a friend over last week to check out the Signature S20s I've been playing with. He's been on the fence for 2yrs in buying speakers, and unfortunately, been wasting money on "deals" he sees and then coming up underwhelmed. He liked the S20s and, as this guy alllllways seems to do, happened into an amazing deal on some S60s, which arrive on the 11th of the month. Now I just gotta help steer him into a modestly appropriate base unit to power them properly.

Budgets are always a consideration. For me, it's cool building up to a higher comfort zone as I learn, but looking back, had I known then what I know now, had I listened to what some of the recommendations were, knowing where I'd end up just 3+ years later, I coulda saved a lot of money - though learned a lot less in the process - had I gone straight way outta my budget/comfort zone at the time for y experience level. Had absolutely no idea I'd end up here, so... hindsight.

We're all doing this for the same reason - the pleasure of building and getting use of these systems at our relative levels of goals and system desires.

just my 2¢

ps.
    shuddup Danny.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    LOL...
    "Budgets are always a consideration. For me, it's cool building up to a higher comfort zone as I learn, but looking back, had I known then what I know now, had I listened to what some of the recommendations were, knowing where I'd end up just 3+ years later, I coulda saved a lot of money - though learned a lot less in the process - had I gone straight way outta my budget/comfort zone at the time for y experience level. Had absolutely no idea I'd end up here, so... hindsight."

I think for some of us, working on our own on this journey, it's a hearing is believing type thing. We hear what others say about amps, cables, speakers, wires, etc... but until you experience it for yourselves it's hard to take the plunge.

While some of us have thousands of discretionary income we can take risks with, for others there may be only $100s or less. Each budding audio bunny will travel at their own pace, learning and growing with each purchase. And that's part of the fun of this hobby.

100% agree with MSG on this one... very well stated.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Legender wrote: »
    I think for some of us, working on our own on this journey, it's a hearing is believing type thing. We hear what others say about amps, cables, speakers, wires, etc... but until you experience it for yourselves it's hard to take the plunge.
    yes, and along these lines, difficult to draw context to the "audible sensation" in some of these descriptions we read about. While we can kind of sort of understand what they might mean, like you said, until you hear it for yourself... And I think that's what Spazmo's buddy's experiencing lately in his new 2.1, which is something we can all appreciate.

I think back to when I thought a boxed Sony soundbar and subwoofer package was me stepping into the modern era after a "friend" told me no one wants big speakers anymore, after the surrounds rotted on some old Pioneers I'd been using. I'm embarrassed to admit that I really thought a soundbar/sub was going to work for me for music and tv... could not get over how tinny and empty it sounded, and that thing was $400! I returned it that same day, went home, took my old Onkyo receiver, RCA outs from the TV, RCA to 3.5mm for mp3 player, and used the headphone jack out on the receiver to a little Bose 2.1 computer speaker setup, and ran like that for the next year, until I tried again in late 2013, which sounded way better than that Sony kit, btw. Was all downhill from there B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • well these last few post remind me of something.. the reason i lost a friend....

so i had a pretty nice surround sound system that probably cost me around 1500 bucks... our neighbor which i hung out with allot. i guess he worked with audio equipment or something that delt with audio equipment.. but me and my girl friend would go to their palace and hang out with him and his girlfriend all the time..

he had this little 100 dollar sony surround sound system that you get everything all in one box.. some tiny 2 inch speaker cubes front and read and a muddy boomy subwoofer. it sounded horrible..

he comes over to my place and sees my stereo and he starts telling me i should get little speakers like he has because they sound better than big speakers. he says big speakers get confused as to what sound goes where and big speakers sound horrible. than he starts saying his stereo sounds so much better than mine.

all i said is your telling me your tiny inexpensive speakers are going to sound better than a full size set of much more expensiveness speakers.. and he says yes they do sound better.. so i say why do you think big speakers cost allmot more money than.. and he blew up on me. saying i do this for a living and your trying to say that i dont know what i am talking about.. i think the guy hated me after that.... his girlfriend started coming to our place all the time and we never really saw him anymore.

but he though he had a awesome stereo.. some people have lousy little systems and they think there awesome.. as long as you like what you have that is what counts.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited July 2017
    Definitely a progression, only took me 12 year to get where I am now, and I wasted 10 of those on home theater, then I found 2 channel :sunglasses:

Now I'm broke. At least I'm broke with a nice stereo.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Love this thread. Good on you spazmo.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Definitely great helping your friend. Sounds like he is enjoying the new sounds. I wish I could get my buddy to upgrade his system. I have been trying to get him to update his system for a few years now. He still has the same speakers, turntable, receiver from college.

He is now 63. Also he happens to be the most musically educated person I have ever met. Almost like rain man but, for music. Just ask him a question... he knows the answer or has the 8 track, album, cassette, cd or even some obscure vhs from a hundred years ago. He is in awe with some of the sounds he hears at my home but, refuses to spend the green.

Guess he doesn't like rabbit holes?

So good deed done @spazmo. Keep up the good work. I love to spend other friends money too!!!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • spazmo
    spazmo Posts: 21
    He has less than $500 in it and for the money it sounds tenfold better than my first real system. Gotta love that ebay.
  • spazmo
    Budget considerations didn't allow for a 'High Current Amp' receiver but maybe when he feels like stepping up to a higher level. It sounds great enough for now since he just got bit by the component bug.
  • spazmo
    Thanks for all of your comments guys,I think that he has a decent start.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Sometimes helping someone is disillusioning them.
    There is always the risk... well you know.

Peace out brother.
    well these last few post remind me of something.. the reason i lost a friend....

so i had a pretty nice surround sound system that probably cost me around 1500 bucks... our neighbor which i hung out with allot. i guess he worked with audio equipment or something that delt with audio equipment.. but me and my girl friend would go to their palace and hang out with him and his girlfriend all the time..

he had this little 100 dollar sony surround sound system that you get everything all in one box.. some tiny 2 inch speaker cubes front and read and a muddy boomy subwoofer. it sounded horrible..

he comes over to my place and sees my stereo and he starts telling me i should get little speakers like he has because they sound better than big speakers. he says big speakers get confused as to what sound goes where and big speakers sound horrible. than he starts saying his stereo sounds so much better than mine.

all i said is your telling me your tiny inexpensive speakers are going to sound better than a full size set of much more expensiveness speakers.. and he says yes they do sound better.. so i say why do you think big speakers cost allmot more money than.. and he blew up on me. saying i do this for a living and your trying to say that i dont know what i am talking about.. i think the guy hated me after that.... his girlfriend started coming to our place all the time and we never really saw him anymore.

but he though he had a awesome stereo.. some people have lousy little systems and they think there awesome.. as long as you like what you have that is what counts.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^He obviously has convinced himself that size doesn't matter. That may apply to more than his stereo. May be that is why his girlfriend is coming around. ;)
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.