Vinyl comeback: Sony to produce records again after 28-year break

I saw this today and thought it was interesting.......

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/30/news/sony-music-brings-back-vinyl-records/index.html

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    A little late to the party?
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Better late than never!! Let's just hope it's 180g or better, not that cheap thin stuff from the late 80s
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    best record I ever had came off that back of my cereal box in 1972...
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    best record I ever had came off that back of my cereal box in 1972...

lol I remember getting some of them as a kid too.

I remember in the late 60's getting one on a box of cereal. It was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nE2spOw_o

My little sister and I played the crap out of it over and over until my Dad couldn't take it anymore and told us to stop playing it. When we played it again anyway he ripped it off his Garrard turntable we were using and threw it in the garbage. My sister started crying and I was sent to my room.

My mother who was a school teacher was pizzed-off at the old man for freaking out.

The next day when my father got home from work he called my sister and I into the living room and handed us a bag. Inside was the brand-new Archies album on 8-track!

Well we played the crap out of that too but at least there was more than one song.

My Dad is a great guy.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Just like the new Sony. Get involved with something just as the fad is about to end. LOL
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I don't know that vinyl can be considered a fad at this point.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I don't know that vinyl can be considered a fad at this point.

I am a vinyl-first guy, but I agree with @BlueFox . It has made a great resurgence, and it has been wonderful. But I feel we have hit a saturation point and it is going to start dying down fairly quickly over the next few years.

Will there be thousands of "new" vinyl converts that are hooked...absolutely. But will there be 10s of thousands who only got into it because it is super trendy, and drop it...absolutely.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Better late than never!! Let's just hope it's 180g or better, not that cheap thin stuff from the late 80s

I wish the 180 gram fad would die already myself. There's no sonic benefit and the records seem to warp easier.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk