What was your very first piece of audio equipment

My very first piece of equipment was a Sansui receiver. I think it was a series 6000 or something like that. I purchased it at the PX at Long Binh Post Vietnam in 1968. I think I paid under $100 bucks for it. I can't remember what speakers I had. Also, I think the only FM station was Armed Forces Radio. That was the beginning for me.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited June 2017
    Pioneer SX-6 something or other receiver followed by Acoustic Research bookies that same day.

Months of newspaper delivering.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    Back in '68 I was a buck Sgt making about $300.00 a month including combat pay.
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    Didn't own a transistor radio but did make a crystal radio back in the late 50's. I completely forgot about it. And Damn It did work.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Transistor radio here as well.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    My dad a turntable in a big cabinet that I could listen to during the summer thru the 60's when they were working all day :)

the only vinyl he had was:
    Jim reeves
    Patsy Cline
    Marty Robbins
    The Ventures!

but I did have a little AM radio!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    F1nut wrote: »
    A transistor radio when I was a pre-teen.

I still remember it was silver colored and had a leather slip cover, but I don't recall who made it.

Same...
    Probably Realistic

But if you're asking about "stereo", is would be Fisher with some Curtis Mathis speakers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    A little denim covered record player with mono speaker that we probably got in some thrift store. Sanford & Son theme song 45rpm that I played over and over for about a week, until...
    qdlwi74a5atz.jpg

my parents probably got sick of hearing it, and gave me the little portable radio we had, and I started listening to the FM radio. Got a department store combination stereo for Christmas later that year that came with a tuner, record player and 8-track player, with little bookshelf speakers that the foam would eventually disintegrate on. For cans, I used swiped Sansui SS-10 headphones from my dad. It was great. And the beginning of me thinking my parents were old fogies and listened to crummy music (they were nearly 10 years younger than I am now, and didn't have particularly bad taste in music. It just wasn't "cool" music to a ten yr old)

There was a lot of "little msg turn it down!" over the years to follow.
    I did not own an Air Supply record at any time.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Panasonic cassette player. Then moved up to a turntable receiver stereo(all in one) hand me down from mom and dad. Speakers hooked up with rca jacks. Dad had ran 50' of all of 24gauge cable to put a speaker in the kitchen.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Speaking of Panasonic...had one of these too
    Remember getting the Richard Pryor 8 tracks out of my step dads car
    bspd3psqbqt5.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    We had both of those 8-track players at different times, Rick and Ron. I think I still have our Panasonic one. Ours was yellow :)

Lol to Richard Pryor. Mischievous kids.
    I disabled signatures.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Transistor radio.
    Used to listen to WLS out of Chicago.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I went straight to "hi-fi". Some Motorola or Zenith stereo with wired speakers (maye about 24ga wire) and a cheap turntable.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    A crystal set with head phones. Put s piece of wire out my bedroom window as the antenna. Favorite jazz program http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pCO0K-UtDMI/Tzk7M8M9UrI/AAAAAAAAMMI/wqg4LmQPuqU/s320/Concert+-+Ad,+Trianon+Ballroom,+Chicago,+Ray+Charles,+Chuck+Willis+-+19560901.jpg
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Pioneer SX-650 was a hand-me-down from my uncle along with a pair of Bolivar Speaker Works Model 18s

pioneer-sx-650-ad-1.jpg

$_1.JPG

Those 2 pieces are what got me hooked on audio in junior high.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    edited June 2017
    Some JC Penney stereo from that had 4 speakers. Really cool for the time I was in high school.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Rick88 wrote: »
    This was mine, back in around 1976 or '77. I thought it was great.

My best friend had an Emerson portable 8-track player. We would have contests to see which would play louder and sound better. Mine always won.... B)

p9hlc77tf9as.jpg
    I had an uncle who had one of those. I thought it was the greatest thing ever and wanted one so bad. So cool to see that picture.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    77ide590t8do.jpg
    Got this in middle school. This was pared with Sony Speakers that each had 6.5 active driver and 6.5 passive radiator along with 1.5" cone tweeter.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • lunazul
    lunazul Posts: 780
    Soundesign 8 track player, record player, AM/FM radio all in one system.
    Along with a Columbia House 12 for a penny subscription.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Hitachi boombox with phono input for a linear tracking Technics SL DL5...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2017
    LOL. A transistor radio here too. Emerson, I think, with a brown leather case.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    JCPenny all-in-one with tuner, turntable and 8 track. Then bought this model of Pioneer headphones b/c we know what parents always yelled about.l8rppbaqn02z.jpg
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • well little boom boxes when i was a kid.. not sure if those count lol

first real stereo was techincs receiver and CD player and i think i pair of baby advent speakrs.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited June 2017
    not sure how far back you want to go
    5t7z4fuvk33i.jpeg
    there is a utube of mine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XrgHuE_jNs
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    1970, age 8, I got a Lloyds 8 track player for Christmas. At 10, I scored my first piece of real audio, a fischer combo thing Tuner/turntable speakers for cutting my neighbors lawn.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    My 1st was this Zenith drop top suitcase type thing. buttoned up you could take anywhere you went w/ an outlet. You un hooked the speakers and they gave you about 10' of separation and the turntable dropped down for playing. It held about 5 LPs and loved the thing until I got my Lafayette receiver and Dual tt w/ Criterion #100 speakers. I tried finding it but not hing was shown.This was the closest device I could find. Mine was a year or 2 newer more rounded and sleeker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Zenith-Solid-State-50-Stereophonic-Record-Player-Phonograph-15-33-45-78-/191771012090?hash=item2ca6716bfa:g:9REAAOSw~otWhEAp
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    A MCS digital clock radio. I got it for Christmas in either 1978 or '79 when I was 13 or 14. I still have it somewhere in a closet. It was a couple more years before I got a stereo- an all in one Magnavox.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    1970-71 bought a console w/Garrard turntable and 8-track from W.T. Grant Co. on payments. A couple of years later upgraded to a Kenwood KR-4400 receiver, Dual 1225 w/Shure M91E, Utah speakers with 15" woofer. Much better than the console.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    1987 JVC Rack System. I still have the integrated from that system in a closet somewhere.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Rick88 wrote: »
    This was mine, back in around 1976 or '77. I thought it was great.

p9hlc77tf9as.jpg

Mine too. I was at a conference with my Dad and won one of these in a raffle. Best thing ever!
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605