i've always wanted one of these

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited April 2002 in Music & Movies
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=856825337&ssPageName=ADME:B:ON:US:1

It's an auction for the Led Zeppelin "Presence" Object, which was a promo in the mid 70s for the album. I keep getting outbid on it, and I really don't want to spend all this money on a cheap plaster non-art sculpture.

When I was younger, I used to hang out on 8th St in Greenwich Village, where there was this cool store called "It's Only Rock & Roll," and they had all this cool rock stuff: actual matchbooks you'd find "in the room ashtrays" of The Hotel California, KISS pinball machines, Ted Nugent bow & arrow sets (toys!)... All sorts of amazing promo materials that the record companies used to make. They had this Object, and I should have bought one then!

Anyone have any stuff like this?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Led Zeppelin, more like a lead ****, in my underpants...they stink.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Aw, jeeze Ron!

Come on. "Presence" man. The stuff is STILL CURRENT, still better than anything being made today. Still more complex, more evil, more intricate and better produced than anything today. Gad, it's a towering album, man! It flat out rocks, moreso than even other Zepp albums.

I don't know what you're talking about.

What are you listening to? What the hell are you listening to, that could go up against "Presence"?

You are SO FRUSTRATING!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited April 2002
    Options
    i am with ron..
    just never could get into them, they are good musicians..
    just dont get the "led zeppelin" thing
    :confused:
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited April 2002
    Options
    The "Led Zeppelin" thing is an oxymoron...............................it would defy physics if the name were accurate!!

Joe
  • Micah Cohen
    edited April 2002
    Options
    You know the story, right? Page was telling Moon about the band he was planning upon the demise of The Yardbirds, and Moon, brilliantly, said, "That'll never work -- it'll go down like a lead zeppelin!" That Moonie!

Anyway, you wackos are seriously missing some brain-shakingly good music by continuing to think that Zepp is those four songs you keep hearing on "rock and roll radio." There's a movie, too, you know: THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME, that's film footage of a bad night of Zepp at Madison Square Garden that BLOWS THE ROOF off any show you've ever seen for sheer musical power. Oh well. I like that I'm the only one who knows about such great stuff as "Presence." Your loss, amigos.

Anyone have any of this "rock memorabilia" stuff?

Anyone else notice that Lynyrd Skynyrd's amazing live LP "One More From The Road" has recently been re-released, remastered from the original tapes, in totally complete form (not missing songs to "fit the two-record set on one CD") for the first time since the vinyl version? Anyone?

Anyone? Bueller?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    They wanted to be named the band "The New Yardbirds". Obviously based on Page.

All Zeppelin albums should be treated as their own entity. The changes from one to the next are pretty big. I like Presence as much as II, but it's a tough comparison. Apples and oranges. I haven't found "The Song Remains the Same" in DTS. I'll wait. Imagine No Quarter in DTS.

No memorabilia except a few pins that I stole.

Bonus question: Who besides Page played guitar for the Yardbirds?
    Make it Funky! :)
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I believe it was Jeff Beck that played guitar for the Yardbirds, while Jimmy Page played bass.

FWIW, Jimmy Page also did most of the studio guitar work for Herman's Hermits.
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Micah. If you really have always wanted one of those, then you should try to go all out and get one. Heck you only live once. You gotta birthday coming up? Make it a B-day present to your self. Better yet, why don't you make this your reward for putting up with all the evil crap the board members give you. Also that object looks like it would make an excellent sock holder.

joe