Ever Been Chased?

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,042
Have you ever been chased, followed, or road raged on? Tell.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I'm more interested to hear what you did to this person.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    yep but it is not a story i can tell on here. Lets just say it was eye opening for the other person.
  • Nightfall
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    yep but it is not a story i can tell on here. Lets just say it was eye opening for the other person.

I'm a small guy, nothing I can do about that, but after my own eye opening experience it might be time to figure out the legalities of keeping a weapon in my car even if it's only a baseball bat.

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    I'm in florida. Be polite down here as you never know who's packing!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Nightfall
    msg wrote: »
    I'm more interested to hear what you did to this person.

Literally nothing, as difficult to believe as it may be. This guy was behind the car behind me and drove into the oncoming lane to get in front of me to initiate. Maybe he was upset I was going the speed limit? Maybe he confused me for the wrong car? Maybe he was on PCP? I'll probably never know.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    All depends, different levels of that stuff. Local tuff guys, who think they are anyway, having fun, or gang members with machine guns.

Either way, your best bet is to pull into a place with security cameras or security guards on duty like a Hospital, police station, etc. Best to avoid it altogether anyway and tuck your ego in your back pocket for 5 minutes. Unless your under threat of real harm coming to you, then pull into a police station asap because chances are, your going to be out gunned making a stance alone.

It's not like the old days, when someone flips you off on the road and you both get out and have a go at it. Too many morons with guns these days who can't exercise judgement and let emotions activate their trigger fingers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I had an ex-gf try an chase me down in high school. :o I try and stay away from any road rage...not worth it.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Nightfall wrote: »

I'm a small guy, nothing I can do about that, but after my own eye opening experience it might be time to figure out the legalities of keeping a weapon in my car even if it's only a baseball bat.

Make sure you have a ball an a mit too. I am serious.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    I'm too big to chase...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    I'm in florida. Be polite down here as you never know who's packing!

This statement is true in ALL states! One would be very surprised just how many folks have carry permits. Then there are those that dont. Just go to a safety class, local range or gunshop & you would be surprised just how many folks were talking about.

Make sure you have a ball an a mit too. I am serious.

Very good advice on the ball & mitt.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

Forget about that baseball bat. Bad Idea you'll either get lucky or killed. Those are not odds in your favor. Tonyb is correct in his statement, but if stuff gets crazy beyond your control you'll need an "App" as Steve stated. Lots of open space in Colorado learn it, use it, trust it as your life may very depend on it. By all means get ALL the proper credentials for it.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I've been involved a couple times and now I have learned it is not worth it. My goal is to make it home to see my wife and kids not to be the guy who wins (what exactly?) or to teach someone a "lesson".
  • Nightfall
    Willow wrote: »
    I've been involved a couple times and now I have learned it is not worth it. My goal is to make it home to see my wife and kids not to be the guy who wins (what exactly?) or to teach someone a "lesson".

What if they're intent on chasing and/or following you until you get out of your vehicle or you lose them?

• Willow
    Willow wrote: »

What if they're intent on chasing and/or following you until you get out of your vehicle or you lose them?

let them follow me to the police station... by then I have their plates. or pull over let them get out of their car to come be tough and take off and go somewhere extremely public.
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    edited June 2017
    Try not to let it happen in the first place.
  • msg
    Let's be real here, Josh, with what you've shared, the only people you're gonna lose will be pedaling, and even that's iffy on a hill.

Don't make eye contact with the carnival people, and get someplace safe, or call the police. Don't stop. If you have to, make sure your doors are locked and windows up.

Michael Bolton.
    https://youtu.be/GKlDBi0cyIA
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Kurt300 wrote: »
    Try not to let it happen in the first place.
    Shuddup Kurt
    ew3xk3hrmi39.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    msg wrote: »
    Let's be real here, Josh, with what you've shared, the only people you're gonna lose will be pedaling, and even that's iffy on a hill.

Don't make eye contact with the carnival people, and get someplace safe, or call the police. Don't stop. If you have to, make sure your doors are locked and windows up.

Michael Bolton.

"I celebrate his entire catalog."
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I try to avoid/ignore the morons, but if stuff gets crazy, I have an "app" for that in my console.

Yep..avoidance is the best recourse...but if all else fails..a nice Five-seveN app works wonders to defuse the situation...guaranteed...
  • afterburnt
    CO. is "shall issue" no?
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    My aunt left middle finger is all twisted and screwed up. Back in the early 70 a guy cut her off so she flipped him the bird. Jerk forced her off the road and seriously crushed it.

For me I've only had one guy follow me. Some jerk in an F150 didn't like that I was doing the speed limit in the slow lane. he was flashing his high beams and hitting the horn. I just kept driving. I got to work and got out of the car the guy was 1/2 way out of his truck when he noticed a 6'1" 280lb Nordic warehouse guy smiling at him. He drove off pretty quick.

It's best to just stay away from these jerks. If they cut you off or give you the bird ignore it and drive on. If they are following you call 911, that is what I should have done. Being in SoCal we have or fair share of them.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Willow
    Seriously, none of it is worth it. Who has the bigger nads!?!?..... Like said above, call the cops. Done.
  • msg
    You must be out of practice Loren. Most Vikings would have automatically R'd, Pillaged, and set his vehicle ablaze. Not necessarily in that order.
    I disabled signatures.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    "Metro" Viking maybe???
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    A few years ago my wife accidentally cut this kid off, she was on her way home, and he would not let up kept following her, my daughter was in the car as well, she was in the neighborhood, and was afraid to pull up to the house because then he would know where she lived.
    She called me in a panic, I jumped in the car staying on the phone with her so she could tell me where she was at, when I got behind them, I cruised around him cutting him off from my wife, jumped out of my car and had words with him, he freaked out big time..

No way in hell would I do that anymore, I would still follow them with the cops on the other line, but I would stay right behind them..
  • msg
    PS - Josh, I don't mean to make light of your experience. This sort of thing can escalate very quickly, and can be stressful at the least, and sometimes plain traumatic in some circumstances. Finding yourself in the position of being the sane one limited by the law while dealing with a person out of his/her mind without The Law nearby to help can feel pretty hairy and have you feeling somewhat helpless. Had my share, and yes, been on both sides at times. Again, as others have mentioned, I always feel best when I have the wherewithal to just put distance between myself and those people whenever possible, instead of engaging. You just never know, these days.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    DSkip wrote: »
    I've always outrun them. Don't know that I can do that anymore with my current car. Often just putting distance between the two cars removes both parties long enough to realize they're being jackarses.

Plus more than likely you have at least 1 kid in the car.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    Best advice is to keep your distance and call the cops (or drive him to the cops) but if you want to get all dramatic you could have him follow you off of a cliff and jump out at the last minute.