venomclan Posts: 2,467
edited November 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
That's what I call a front end.
Post edited by venomclan on

Comments

• PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited September 2004
    Might look pretty good if your house was an old warehouse with LOTS of room to spare...........Those things are...:eek:
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2004
    I'll bet money that a pair of busted up Rti28's will blow those things away.:D
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited September 2004
    that thing looks like glorified HVAC vents...
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2004
    **** awesome.

Where's the link to the site you ganked this from? I'd like to read more on them.

Those are some bitchin' horns, period.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2004
    Early, I'll take that bet! :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2004
    HOLY SH#T!!!! Please post the link. I want more info! Man, horns that size just makes me all horny:D.

Maurice
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2004
    Very low WAF! I think my wife would have to draw the line on those!

But they are some of the better looking horns I've seen, great paint or texture effect.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • venomclan
    edited September 2004
    Hi Guys,
    What do you mean, what site did I gank these from? This is my livingroom dammit.

Just Kidding. I frequent the www.htguide.com site. In the audio section there is a long thread called show your 2 channel. Some wild stuff in there.
    Cheers.
    Venom
  • venomclan
    edited September 2004
    P.S.
    Imagine if these were just the surround speakers? I wonder if they are full range...
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2004
    Oh, me so horny!

Damn, those are UNREAL!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by 2+2
    that thing looks like glorified HVAC vents...

Uh-huh... rotate them 90 degrees forward and they look just like the vent hoods on trichloroethene cleaning booths. :p

I like the dual grab bars. Give yourself a real hummer with these!
    :eek:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2004
    Mike, you sick puppy.....no doubt you fit right in here! :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited September 2004
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Mike, you sick puppy.....no doubt you fit right in here! :D

I won't speculate on what the vertical ducting might be necessary for. But, perhaps this is one of the "new ideas" in SDA technology? DGA-AV :eek:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by venomclan
    www.htguide.com
    Nice site... I like their Flea Market policing...
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=9266

Also the drop-down preview you see just passing over a thread topic is really cool... minimizes the wear and tear on IE's "back" button.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • LethalLee
    LethalLee Posts: 27
    edited October 2004
    Could someone explain how horns work from that pic. Are the only things making sound from the cone in the middle. That looks like a single full range speaker covering all frequencies or just the highs.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    edited October 2004
    The horn is attached to a woofer...

which is at the other end of the horn :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2004
    I didn't see any info, but assuming by the pics it is a single driver that is rear loaded. The horn compresses and there-in attenuates the frequencies. The bigger the horn the more capable it is in reproducing the lower frequenies. I would say that this one doesn't attenuate the smaller high frequencies much at all but does boost the lower octaves. I would assume that most of the higher freqs come from the front of the driver and that the horn takes the rear stroke of the driver to reproduce the lower freqs., attenuates them to get the most out of the lower end. The volume of the horn will dictate the range of freqs reproduced and attenuated, while the length puts it back in-phase with the front at that freq.

It looks like either a Lowther or Fostex driver. It might be a Supravox or Moth but I doubt it. Judging by the size, I'd say it shold be flat to around 35 or 40 hz with a gradual roll-off after that. The highs should be solid to around 16-18Khz. No need for a sub, tweeter, or crossover. Probably around 105 db efficient. I would love to hear these.

One of the best rigs I've heard had a rear horn driven Lowthers (in smaller horns) crossed over to, and sitting atop of, a pair of Klipschorns for bass (the mid and treble horns were long gone).
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited October 2004
    That is SO bitchin'........stuff like that really makes one humble. What an incredible design and execution effort.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited October 2004
    www.passlabs.com/np/KleinHorn.pdf

Mr. Pass's writeup on el-pipe-o is also a great read. I can only imagine the devastation after his parties with them and the horns... :D

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited October 2004
    Where can you read about EL PIPE-O?
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by okiepolkie
    Where can you read about EL PIPE-O?
    El pipo has to be one bitchin sub!

http://www.passdiy.com/projects/el-pipe-o-1.htm
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Damn... the pipes would stop somewhere around mid to upper 2nd floor... would definitely place a premium on getting the placement right the first time..

Could always suspend them from attic rafters for a down-firing mode... that way I'd be sure I could hear them... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2004
    You might be able to find 90 deg. elbows out of PVC that diameter. Make it into a corkscrew.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2004
    Found these beautiful horns surfing.

Thought all would enjoy!!

Look at the closeups for some great detail pics.

Cheers,

Dennis

A Little Horn Action
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable