RTi10'a on 2-channel

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited October 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Just for the hell of it, I hooked my RTi10's to my 2-channel system (MF A3CR pre, Cambridge Audio 640C CD player, and Odyssey Stratos amp), turned off the Hsu sub, and it sounded awful. The bass was muddier than molassas. It surprised me because the RTi10's sounded pretty good with Outlaw monoblocks and a Parasound PHP 850 preamp. Hooked the Lsi7's back up and it sounds sweet like honey. Anyone know why the 10's sounded like crap?
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited October 2004
    Options
    *I DO* *I DO*

Think about it, and it will come to you!

;)

You should hear the FIRST version of the RT line, and the reason will be even MORE apparent than it is now.

Nah, The new RTi line is alright, much better than the one before it... (RTi70, etc)

But still, the RTi line is called Reference Theater for a reason...

*Puts on flame suit*

Your 2-channel rig is probally much more unforgiving than your HT rig is. Probally because of Preamp differences...etc
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • hamzahsh
    hamzahsh Posts: 439
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I love my RT800i's both on movies and music. They are the sweetest speakers to listen.

;)
    Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
    Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
    Polk Audio CS400i (center)
    Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
    Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
    Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
    Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
    Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
    Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Lsi's probably have a better crossover... ??
  • Early B.
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Let me clarify... my question is more about why the RTi10's sounded very good on my previous 2-channel setup (Outlaws and Parasound pre), but really sucked on my current system (Odyssey and MF pre).
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Probably a hearing "adjustment" thing. Big towers can sound muddy behind a nice, tight monitor like the Lsi7. I bet if you left the Rti10's in place for awhile, you'd have a change of opinion.

When I was stationed in Turkey for 2yrs I ran a pair of Polk Monitor 5jrs; when I got back to the states and got my "regular" speakers out of storage and into the system again, they sounded extremely bass-heavy too. I was so used to the limited low frequency of the 5jrs, I grew to really like it as it places more emphasis on midrange/highs.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Personally, I have not heard the Rti10's, but I have talked to a buddy that has aditioned the 10's and he said the same thing when it came to two channel.
    Also, you have one sweet **** amp there with the Stratos!! The Stratos is well know for it's lenghty break in time and the bass is one of the last things to level out.
    Just curios...have you tried to leave the power on your Stratos for a long time before any critical lissening? (and I mean several hours) If not...give that a try and see if it makes a difference at all.

Also...I have been eyeing the Stratos for some time now (drool)
    and I have had several conversations with Klause. In your own words...what do you think of that amp?

Brad
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • Early B.
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Just curios...have you tried to leave the power on your Stratos for a long time before any critical lissening? (and I mean several hours) If not...give that a try and see if it makes a difference at all.
    Also...I have been eyeing the Stratos for some time now (drool)

Niner -- I leave the amp on 24/7. The power button is located on the back of the unit, so I'm assuming the amp is supposed to remain on.

As far as my impression with the amp, it's awesome. I bought mine used. It's actually an ODL (Odyssey Design Labs) model, one of the first to come off the assembly line. It's a long story, but Klause had some partners that marketed this amp before he could get rid of the partners and gain control of his own product. Anyhow, it sounds great. I'm considering making some modifications such as increasing the capacitance and changing out the internal cabling. Might do that just for the hell of it and see what kind of difference it makes. This hobby lends itself to lots of [expense and] experimentation.

• scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Early B.
    sounded very good on my previous 2-channel setup

was the previous setup in the same room? anything else change?

)
  • Early B.
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Yeah, same room.