OK, So I'm gonna buy a Jolida 100...

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited October 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Got a couple of questions, though. But before I do, let me tell you how I arrived at the decision. I went to Underwood HiFi today in Atlanta, GA and listened to a modded and unmodded Jolida 100 CD player vs. a Musical Fidelity X-Ray (original retail price was $1,500). The unmodded Jolida spanked the **** out of that MF. And the modded one sounded even better.

Right now I have a Cambridge Audio 640C that I'll eventually sell. It's a great CD player, but a bit outclassed by the Jolida, as a couple you gents have already eluded to in a previous post. This will be my first tube purchase. I don't know a darn thing about tubes, but I know I'll want to change out the cheap stock tubes of the Jolida. I noticed that tubes come in a variety of prices. So my questions are simple --

How do you shop for tubes? How do you determine quality/sound?

Is price a general indicator of quality?

What brand/type of tube would you recommend as a "starter" tube for the mod?

Any good websites out there to learn about and/or purchase tubes?

Thanks for your input.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2004
    Options
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Ram Labs (Tube Audio Store)

tubeadiostore.com
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited October 2004
    Options
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Early B.
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I am curious - what equipment were you listening to ? (amps, pre amps, speakers, et all). This is pretty important to me as the X-Ray is right in my cross-hairs for a cd player.

The dealer was using an integrated amp -- either a Music Hall or Musical Fidelity -- I don't recall, with Triangle floorstanders, and some big **** high quality speaker cables that I never heard of. I wish I could be more specific, but he had so much great stuff, it was hard to keep track of it all.

Zero -- don't misunderstand me -- the MF X-Ray was very impressive. It would most definitely be my second choice and I would encourage you to get one. I just liked the tube sound better from the Jolida, but if you're not a fan of tubes, by all means get the MF. According to the dealer, the MF was originally priced at $1,500, but it didn't sell here in the US because of its odd rectangular shape. So instead of just yanking them out of the US market, MF dropped the retail price to $999 so they could sell more easily. Besides, it's a MF so you are virtually assured of a good quality product. This particular dealer sells them new for $860.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Brad, was that the new X-Ray V3?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Early B.
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I found a local dealer (www.verastarr.com) who sells brand new modded Jolida 100s for $899. I may save my coins and give them some business. Seems like a reasonable price, I guess.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2004
    Options
    From everything I've read, looks like you made a very good choice--hell you got me interested in the Jolida.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Duet of 12AX7, right?

I would recommend the following, for you to roll, keep what you like and sell the rest.

1. Get a pair of Telefunken smooth-plates that test high, run you about $100. Lots of 'air' on the top end, good bass control, and a warm midrange. Slightly lower gain, and a good noise floor

2. Order a pair of Sovtek 12AX7a. Overall, a 'darker' midrange, sparkling highs, and phenomenal bass. High gain tubes with almost ZERO noise floor. Run you $20 or so.

3. Find a pair of 'Groove Tubes' 12ax7-M. Designed for use in Fender guitar amps. A sleeper Mullard re-make, with outstanding midrange clarity. A little lean on the top end, but still very airy. Good for a subtle taming of the high end. Excellent bass control and gain. Run you about $60, if you can find them.

4. The Electroharmonix are a good overall choice too, very popular line/pre stage tubes that may not do anything perfect, but everything very well. You can get a pair for $25-$30.

5. Phillips / JAN 12ax7. Either the mid-80's NOS, if you can, there are a few 1968 NOS still out there for the taking. Slightly forward and very open midrange, good bass control, and a flat - but consistant top end. Anywhere from $20 - $50 for a pair.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Early B.
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Thanks Russ. Looks like the Sovteks are for me. The term "phenomenal bass" was the key decision factor.

• RuSsMaN
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Don't discount the other suggestions either. Sovteks are great tubes, but you owe it to yourself to get at least ONE other pair of SOMETHING - just to hear the difference if nothing more.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I just dropped off a pair of EH 12ax7's to troy for his new j100. He swapped 'em for the stock tubes and already a significant change from relatively sterile/filled but dry sound to honey ( can't beat that for pennies basically).
    Try any of those suggested but the EH's were made for that player.

Dave
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2004
    Options
    See, there ya go. Rock on Dave.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • F1nut
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Just to be clear about which X-Ray Early demoed, it was the new X-Ray V3.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited October 2004
    Options
    What? X who?

You getting a paycheck from MF these days? Jesu effin Christo man.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2004
    Options
    You see a complete kW rig here??? Nah, didn't think so.

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Dave's absolutely right on......

Fresh out of the box, the EH's make the Jolida a completely different player. With the stock tubes, it's a good player. Better than the standard fare but that's about it. With the EH tubes, the improvement was nothing short of dramatic. Again, I'm not a big believer in night and day improvements but this was one of 'em.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Early B.
    edited October 2004
    Options
    OK, EH is it. Incidentally, those are the tubes used in the modded version from Verastarr.