Downfiring sub on concrete?

Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
I have a small Pioneer 100w downfiring sub that someone is interested in but they want to use it in a garage and put it on a concrete floor. Is the hard surface going to make it to "boomy"?

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    It shouldn't.

If anything, the solid footing would improve response since the floor won't be flexing.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,357
    It might as that is a hard reflective surface. They can always put a piece of scrap carpet or the like under it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, like @F1nut said, reflections can be a problem. Won't necessarily make it boomy, though. More like shouty, like when a tweeter is real bright.

A chunk of carpet underneath it will tame all of that. Even just a piece of, like, particle board. Something with a non-smooth surface that will help break up reflections. Carpet would work best, though.

I have a pretty powerful sub sitting on the concrete floor in the basement. It's on spikes so it's sitting on the concrete but there is a carpeted floor under it. It's only boomy when I set the crossover to make it boomy. Otherwise, the concrete is a positive thing since it can vibrate the entire floor in the living room and gets muddy because of that.

In the basement, though, the low-end extension actually improved being on the solid surface.
    Post edited by Jstas on
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,357
    ^ Nailed it ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
    Thanks, guys, he has decided to take the sub. And funny you mention about the carpet, I was thinking the same thing. I have a couple 18"x18" carpet squares laying around and was going to offer him one.

He said he has a receiver already and a pair of Bose 201's that he's going to use. I would think the Bose would be tough to place well in a garage. Good luck there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 342
    edited May 2017
    I saw a headbanger cruising up my local inner city street about a year ago. His car audio system was literally shaking the ground! Luckily he pulled over & I got a chance to ask him about his setup. The boot was full of amps (I counted 6). The subs that were shaking the ground turned out to be a pair of massive 1500 watt MTX subs! The guy had cut holes in the floor of the trunk and had the subs pointed straight toward the ground, with just a perspect cover over them! Not sure if streets in the US are concrete?...but that car sounded pretty good! B)