Motorcycle Riders...

Answers

• msgmsg Posts: 5,736
    I used to hate those Can-Ams, Mike, but I had a closer look at one the other day while at a light, and I have to say, found myself viewing them in a new light, seeing where that'd be a nice fit, as well. It is a big fatiguing sometimes working a big bike for hours on end, or in stop and go traffic when it's hot. Good point on the size, also.

Not sure whether this is a particuarly good idea, but I'd probably feel inclined to lighten up on protective gear a little if I had something like a Can-Am or a Slingshot, since the potential for a spirited run induced wipeout should be reduced somewhat with the extra wheels and stability? It's an awful bother getting all the gear on sometimes, but I don't ride without it. Sometimes I start to get ready and lose my motivation due to the hassle. Other times, barely make it out of the neighborhood before turning around and doing something else with the time. I've always enjoyed the hop-on and go feel of little 400cc or 650cc enduro bikes, like the Suzuki DRZ400 or DR650. That supermoto version of the DRZ is pretty fun for dogging around town. Total hooligan bike. Needs an extra gear, though. Even there, I don't feel comfortable without jacket, boots and gloves. Heard too many disturbing stories of people getting feet ripped off unexpectedly.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 3,580
    So. I went and checked them out and am no longer interested. Fun for sure, but lacks any sort of refinement to justify the price point. Not particularly good at highway speeds or in the corners. For the money I'd be better off in a new Miata honestly. It's a shame, could have been so much better.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • thsmiththsmith Posts: 6,092
    If it has a V-8 or more than 2 wheels it is no longer a motorcycle. May as well buy a convertible.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
    Yeah I agree. I have ridden motorcycles for twenty years and there is no substitute. Being a father of three small children I was looking for a slightly safer alternative, that I could potentially take my kids on short trips at times.

This isn't it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
    well, that's good info. nice to cross something off the want list without buying it to figure it out.
    I disabled signatures.
  • smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,229
    On a different note, who is tired of spending money on tires!?! Cripes, you can get almost a set of 4 tires for a car for the price of two motorcycle tires and get alot less tire life. I love riding but, dang, I hate buying tires every 10-15,000 miles...
  • Rick88Rick88 Posts: 13,187
    smglbrth wrote: »
    On a different note, who is tired of spending money on tires!?! Cripes, you can get almost a set of 4 tires for a car for the price of two motorcycle tires and get alot less tire life. I love riding but, dang, I hate buying tires every 10-15,000 miles...

YES!

10-15,000 miles? Wish I was so lucky. I am doing great to get 6k out of a rear tire (though I do get 10-12k on the front).

Then again, I ride it like I stole it.... :)
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

“I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.” ~ Johnny Cash

YES again.
    My poor Buell's shoes... looks like a neglected kid on the first day of school!

I haven't done the maff yet, but I'll be lucky if I got 10k on the rear. Being a hooligan doesn't help (READ: prob same style as Rick). I like the Metzeler Sport-tec M5 for best overall performance. Dry, wet confidence (important to me), tread life, etc. Got some M7's getting ready to go on, the next gen of that tire, but such a pain getting that coordinated, so I've been limping it for the past couple of months. Won't survive riding season, so I gotta get on that.
    I disabled signatures.
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796

try racing them...i get less than 40 minutes on a rear tire before it doesn't have the traction to continue racing on it.

But I will say my tires have a full life cycle. For the first 40 minutes, they're race tires, for the next 4 hours, they're track day tires...and for the remainder of their life, I use them to instruct on until I can almost see the air inside them ;)

This one used to have sipes on the side too.
    10361493_10105118257862094_4570061941689990345_n.jpg?oh=a1d1b40e635740e50a64df48c241c67b&oe=597E10AB

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
    On my V Strom it had the originals, Trailwings (11,000 miles), then Battlewings (9,000 miles) and now Metzeler Tourance (current, around 12,500) which are getting ready for a change the next 1,000 or so. I just bought a set of Michelin Anakee 3's as a new replacement so we'll see how they work in. I use the front brake enough, evidently, to replace the front at the same time as the rear. The Darkside keeps calling me but I don't want to move to that, yet anyway...

Cody - Dang, track day sure is expensive for you!
  • ambiophonicsambiophonics Posts: 689
    Here's my Yamaha Triple

hnm9xkzwxhmg.jpg
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Chromecast Audio (optical), Bugle II phono pre, Technics SL-1500 w/ M97XE, DIY Passive Preamp/Input selector
    edited May 2017
    oft4chy8aj6c.jpg
    Love the new Ducati Cafe racer...has me thinking.

• Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,932
    edited May 2017
    exalted512 wrote: »

try racing them...i get less than 40 minutes on a rear tire before it doesn't have the traction to continue racing on it.

But I will say my tires have a full life cycle. For the first 40 minutes, they're race tires, for the next 4 hours, they're track day tires...and for the remainder of their life, I use them to instruct on until I can almost see the air inside them ;)

This one used to have sipes on the side too.
    10361493_10105118257862094_4570061941689990345_n.jpg?oh=a1d1b40e635740e50a64df48c241c67b&oe=597E10AB

-Cody

NO Chicken Stripes on these tires, love it
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
    Looks like he is too chicken to ride in a straight line...jk of course. Looks good.
    Here's my Yamaha Triple

hnm9xkzwxhmg.jpg

Beautiful bike...
    Here's my Yamaha Triple

hnm9xkzwxhmg.jpg

Beautiful bike...

It looks a bit similar to the 1981 Honda CB750 I once owned, even the colors. Beautiful bike, and it looks like it's in great condition! B)

What year is it?

“I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.” ~ Johnny Cash

• DerfDerf Posts: 227
    pdcxs77zc5xf.jpg
    Thought I would throw my bike into the ring for all to see. Enjoy riding in the dirt more than street, but at 53 my body can't handle it as well as it used to. So I have a dual sport, modded more for the dirt. Ride on the street until I hit the dirt, then stay off pavement. Mainly trail riding, small log hops, try to keep all bones intact!
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
    THAT looks fun! These dualsport enduro bikes - hooliganism
    Indeed bones, ribs and collarbone type injuries - no fun.
    I disabled signatures.
    From this photo, Cody clearly doesn't even use handlebars. Says they're for sissies. Wills the bike into turns.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ambiophonicsambiophonics Posts: 689
    Rick88 wrote: »
    Here's my Yamaha Triple

hnm9xkzwxhmg.jpg

Beautiful bike...

It looks a bit similar to the 1981 Honda CB750 I once owned, even the colors. Beautiful bike, and it looks like it's in great condition! B)

What year is it?

It's a 1980, picked it up a few weeks ago as I was missing my old Honda 360
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Chromecast Audio (optical), Bugle II phono pre, Technics SL-1500 w/ M97XE, DIY Passive Preamp/Input selector
    Very nice! Congrats on the Yammie!
    I haven't ridden in a few years myself, but have just been given the green light to purchase another.

Not sure what I want yet, but have only owned serious sport bikes in the past. I still want something that handles great but not so much concerned with blazing acceleration.

It needs to look great too.

Going up to Pony Powersports after work to look at some Triumph and Duc's.
    Taking delivery tomorrow morning...feels like Christmas.
    On what? B)

Taking delivery tomorrow morning...feels like Christmas.
    Good to hear, and make sure you post pics!
    w3atwcfqc0d1.jpg

More to come :p
    gh3h7adzyish.jpg

Tell me about it. I was supposed to get this morning. Now they are telling me 2pm.
    Love that Duc Scrambler! Give us a ride report after you've had some time with it!