Looking for a cheap iPad to run an Auralic mini

Options
That I don't have yet. I just need whatever the bare minimum is to control the Auralic. Anyone have one leveling their bed, I can trade enough one dollar bills to replace it?

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @la2vegas thanks for the headsup but I am looking for an iPad Pb for half that price.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,994
    Options
    Craigslist or eBay. I got a mini gen 2 for $120.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Thanks for the leads. Is an ipod touch just a little player? If it does the job I dont care what it is. Beside it is not going to be used for anything else, I wouldn't be caught dead using an Apple product in public!
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you want small unit you could also get an older iphone version 4 or 4s would be about $100 or so off craigslist. Just boot it up as an IPOD and don't use the cell portion of it. I use on for streaming Bluetooth to my stereo. Checking CL here in DFW they are easily less than $100. Only downside is the older phones are not supported by the new IOS. As long as you don't have an app that needs the latest IOS this should work/along with an older IPAD.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    I may have an iPod Touch, 5th Gen that my daughter no longer uses since she has a phone. If that will work for you (and you don't mind the back being metallic pink :o) I'll see if I can track it down and come up with a decent price. IIRC, it's in like new condition, and may even have a couple covers for it. I believe the iPod Touch is basically a smaller version of the iPad... maybe not as robust of a processor... I could be wrong though.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Actually, the IPOD touch is phone size without the ability to make a call. It will do texting, apps, web surfing and everything else a phone can do through WIFI, but it can't make a call. I have one of those 32GB that I still use in the garage. It's about 7 years old but still works.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Actually you can call too. The text plus app lets you call if you pay about a dollar an hour. Not sure if it's wifi issues or the app itself but I tried talking to @dromunds the other day with it and there were times we couldn't hear each other.

The newest iPod touch has the same processor as the iPhone 6. It's what I'll be attempting to use to control the Aries Mini. I also use it for listening to Tidal and Pandora at work and posting here. You can get a 16 gig for less than $200 brand new.

I do prefer Android to be honest but it's not bad by any means.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I got frustrated and order one from the apple store. It didn't cost too much I hope that I can use it for a remote for other things, otherwise I really don't have any use for it. Just the same this and the Auralic should solve my problems with getting all of my music to play anywhere that I want it.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    this mini is sure a bear to get connected
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Lovely! Wagner what kind of issues are you having?
  • WagnerRC
    edited March 2017
    Options
    i can hook up to the network for aurlic lightning but cant find the app to get it setup. it says go into settings and find aurlic lightning ds

edit

Go to iPad 's wireless settings and connect to the "AURALiC-Lightning” network.
    After you have confirmed that your mobile device has connect to ARIES network, please start Lightning DS.
    Go to Settings>Lightning Streaming Device and select the ARIES.
    Find 'Network Connection' section and choose the network you want to join.
    The ARIES MINI's LED will turn to white color and start flashing while it is trying to join your network.
    Make sure your iPad has gone back to the same network your connecting the ARIES to.
    Go back to Lightning DS.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    what you listed is pretty much how it is done. little tricky but I've always got the IPAD app to see the mini and control it.

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    Thank you for the offer of assistance. After several attempts to download ds at the App Store . The download finally installed. This was a very frustrating issue for this product. I have used several similar products over the years and never had this much problems. All will be fine now that the app finally downloaded. The documentation for this product is lacking in my opinion. Thanks again
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    The set up is not as easy as sonos. I got it up and running and it sounds good.
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Untitled-2.jpg
    This is the screen that I can't get to copy files to the internal drive. Any suggestions?
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    I can't get the mini to recognize my drive.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    The set up is not as easy as sonos. I got it up and running and it sounds good.

Yeah, I wish all these higher-fi gadgets was that easy. Sonos cornered the market on easy that's for sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    sent Chris the drive info. Thanks Skip.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    How was it not easy? Plug it in, follow directions in app, done for me.

• afterburnt
    Options
    Well in my case It says there is no music on the portable HDD that I am trying to use. It does read my backup HDD though, every single gat damned thing on it! I have run the setup many times and I never get to the place where I can transfer files to the internal SSD.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Not your fault, it's just driving me nuts, however that is a very very short drive.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    LOL
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    Options
    Bruce you at the correct screen in the app,

BTW that 8100 songs you see listed is probably from the SSD drive. you should be able to blank it out by clicking on initialize (if that is what your ready to do)

then the line above "INITIALIZE INTERNAL STORAGE" says from USB Drive and that is how you import the files from the External Hard drive you have plugged into the USB port closes to the power plug on back of the MINI.

it takes some time before you can see that it is actually starting to install those files ...for up to maybe 10 minutes you will see nothing happening but wait ....wait for it ....and give me a call if need :)

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• voltz
    Options
    BTW your screen shot shows me that you have told the MINI to use the internal HD, so those 8000 songs it has listed are on the SSD drive and you should be able to goto music library and play those files.

• afterburnt
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    BTW your screen shot shows me that you have told the MINI to use the internal HD, so those 8000 songs it has listed are on the SSD drive and you should be able to go to music library and play those files.

Darryl, that screen shot is of the instructions. I can not get that page to open at all so I can't transfer files to the SSD
  • voltz
    Options
    my bad :(

• WagnerRC
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Chris says the sea gate drive won't work in this application . The tidal voucher for my mini was used by audio advisor so they won't honor that either.

oh well.
  • Nightfall
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Is there anyway I can give Mr. Wagner my voucher?

Sign up for an account with the voucher then give him the login info? It looks like you have to redeem the voucher from within Lightning DS, I'm not sure if it ties the voucher to my hardware then?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,857
    Options
    Yet another reason I'm sticking with my CD/SACD players.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yet another reason I'm sticking with my CD/SACD players.

Buy Marantz SACD player get three free SACD's? I'm not following you.