Tuning PA D4000.4?

Just got my stereo installed and need to tune the amp. I'm a noobie at it.
Head unit Kenwood KDC-x797
Polk:
I've got a PA D4000.4 amp
Front doors DB+ 652 components
Back doors DB+ 652 coax

Subs 2 db1240 dvc powered by a JL JX500/1

Help me turn the dials to make it sound great.

Thanks

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    The dials aren't the only thing that make it sound good. You really want to make sure you HU is set correctly too. First make sure your tone controls are all set neutral, make sure "loudness" is set to off. Now turn your sub amp all the way down and set your 4 channel to 1/4th volume.

Put on some tunes and turn the head unit up until you hear distortion, this is the point where your HU naturally distorts mark that down. Turn the head unit down until it sounds good again and then slowly turn the gain on your 4 channel until the speakers distort again then back it off a smidge. This is the gain level you want your speakers at. Same basic process for the sub gain.

For setting cross overs on the sub just turn the volume really low and the low pass filter all the way up, put your ear to the sub and start lowering the low pass freq until you hear nothing but the kick drum and bass. That is set. The high pass filter I have on my speakers is set to 120Hz sloped -12 Db. You might not have a slope option but that is where I set mine.

After that you can mess with tone controls on your HU to perfect the sound.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You Can Tune a stereo, but You Can't Tuna Fish
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Awesome, I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the info.