Ripping to a NAS?? Taking too long??

Ripping can be time consuming and often is. I am filing my NAS which has 2 10TB Seagate iron wolf drives. 2-10's doesn't get me 20TB, as they mirror each other and now when I set up to rip a batch, (and the batches are usually no less than 100 and often more) I set up both laptops and have at it. Twice as fast and no issues doing it. Just passing it along as ya never know who else is at it on my level......BTW my level can be summed up with one word

INSANITY!! :)

Happy Ripping

THJ
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    You only have 10TB? I am up to 76TBs as of today... >:)

On a more serious note, I can relate. I added 2 Blu Ray drives to one of my servers so that I can rip 3 Blu Rays or DVDs or CDs at once. Has made a big dent in my recovery work from losing one of my drive arrays a few months ago.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    76TB eh........That sure is a lot of storage.
    I bet you have a copy of Suburban Commando in there somewhere...If not, you should ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

On a more serious note, I can relate. I added 2 Blu Ray drives to one of my servers so that I can rip 3 Blu Rays or DVDs or CDs at once. Has made a big dent in my recovery work from losing one of my drive arrays a few months ago.

And I thought I was insane, but on the real...when you actually get to having 10TB's worth of Albums ripped in FLAC, do get with me on the network sharing that we're able to do with the NAS route. Looking forward to trying that!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Ironically, I bought a netgear nas last week. It was so damn slow I sent it back. It's software sucked, too.

This week, I bought a synology nas and used the same 3 3TB iron wolf drives and it is blazingly fast.. I'm running raid 5. The software suit is pretty good.

Im using JRiver for ripping and media server.

I have questions on how to playback dvds and blurays, but that's for another thread.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Tell me more of this thing you call "ripping music" to NAS......curious... ;)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited March 2017
    THJ - on a mission to rip every cd known to man, just in case B)

I sure hope you don't discover a problem with your rip configuration, or discover some preferred option. That's annoying even with just the 12 I got on the deal from Columbia House.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Just remember - RAID is not a backup.

That's alot of time and data to lose without a backup scheme in place that works.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • ZLTFUL
    Nobody ever claimed RAID was a backup solution. It is simply redundancy in the event of hardware (drive) failure.

But there isn't really a cost effective consumer level backup solution for multiple TBs of data.
    I checked with Amazon and Google for cloud backup options for my current data and the cost is quite literally tens of thousands of dollars *A MONTH*.

In my work environment, we have 14 days of backups of all of our prod hosts along with 90 days worth of backups for our file servers. But even that isn't cost effective in a consumer environment because we are talking multiple UCS environments dedicated *ONLY* to backups.

Most consumers aren't even worried about backup of things like movies and music. Most consumers are worried about pictures and financial records and the like. All of our photos, documents, home videos and the like are saved to a NAS on site and also to a USB drive once a month that is stored off site in a safe deposit box. And honestly, that is quite a bit more than the average consumer is going to do.

But it all boils down to what works/is affordable/meets the individual's needs on a case by case basis.

As annoying as it was to have to re-rip ~600 Blu-rays, it was all relative in the grand scheme of things.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • msg
    Some people do think RAID is synonymous with backup, unfortunately.

Maybe my math is off, but Amazon Glacier for 76TB looks like around $300/mo? Sounds like your data is mostly static, so, not sure you need S3 for infrequent changes, and with Glacier I think you only pay more for retrieval, which you'd only be doing under catastrophic failure?

I know someone who uses CrashPlan. Unlimited, not sure of the subscription fee, but supposed to be affordable.
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Scott....I have seen Ryans home server setup. Most startup app developers would kill to have it.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    RYAN is renting space to the NSA, the Clinton foundation, The Democratic & Republican National Conventions.......

Wait a minute.... I see a pattern...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    There is also a second consideration @msg and that is network bandwidth. Transferring that much data with a 5Mbps upload limitation (unfortunately, fiber options won't be available where we are at for at least a couple of years) is painful.

Backblaze offers unlimited backup storage with unlimited versions for $95 for 2 years. A viable option...IF I was talking about a few hundred GBs to a couple of TBs.

• msg
    Oh yeah, from what we've discussed of it, impressive to say the least, absolutely. It's more robust than what some technical small businesses I know are running. Not to say protecting that data is impossible or even impractical, though. Ten 8TB USB 3.0 WD MyBook externals would cost around $2100. Not exactly cheap, and not even ideal, but for static data, disk storage may make more sense than hosted, since the break even point would be reached in a matter of months. Or even just bare disks and a dock, never mind a finished. enclosure.

As Ryan said, it all boils down to loss tolerance. The greater the tolerance for loss, the less protection required, and the lower the cost.

For you guys, though, I'd recommend grabbing a free trial of WinRAR, and hit Ebay for some new old stock floppies, and have at it. You should have your data backed up right about the time John finishes ripping the last cd on the planet.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited March 2017
    Seed drives. Multiple runs as necessary.
    Come on, man, there's no excuse for no backup. you know better :)
    (I say this as I troubleshoot today my secondary backup disk for offloading Acronis snapshots. Out of the blue, starts throwing errors.)
    There is also a second consideration @msg and that is network bandwidth. Transferring that much data with a 5Mbps upload limitation (unfortunately, fiber options won't be available where we are at for at least a couple of years) is painful.

Backblaze offers unlimited backup storage with unlimited versions for $95 for 2 years. A viable option...IF I was talking about a few hundred GBs to a couple of TBs.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • tophatjohnny
    Sheez....and all I was doing was trying to share a quicker way to rip to the NAS units :) but I'm a new comer at it and will always consider myself a beginner with it all and love to learn new things. I started the ripping like many do..with a basic USB hard drive and through many hours of testing this format VS: that format, I have my settings honed in now to what I know beyond any doubt to be the be highest level possible without compromising quality of the recordings. That recipe is something best left to the individual that is on a similar journey. As for backing up...my NAS is only a 2 Bay unit and the drives mirror each other, meaning if one drive fails (heaven forbid) the other drive still has all the files and I would just need to replace the failed drive. In the case and again (heaven forbid) my home goes up in flames, there will be far more worries than my music to deal with. On another tip for backing up files, Synology offers it's users a free app that is cloud storage so looking into that soon. Like I said I am a beginner and on a quest to build one heck of a music library that already is pretty tough and growing like a weed!!

Rip on brothers.

BTW the program I found through a member here is Easy CD converter and I did pay for the program. Very user friendly and I just love it. That's all I can share at this point.
  • ZLTFUL wrote: »

No one looks over your shoulder when you do the backup. Everyone is looking over your shoulder when you do a restore.

We setup with onsite for speed and offsite for redundancy. Using redundant UltraStores locally and Amazon Glacier. The way we are setup with the redundancy, if we have to revert to Glacier we are looking at a problem that is going to take time to get back up and running by the time the bulk tier option becomes available for us to start pulling down data.
  • msg
    I hope none of what I've contributed comes across as preachy or rigid. Not intended to. I typically write in a lighter style, but there's only so much you can do to lighten up this kinda stuff. Should probably have added more smileys or somethin', but they start to look pretty teenage-girl-adolescent after a while, and I only do that on Fridays. Wait... #$%*.

DR (disaster recovery) is a huge concern in IT these days, given vastly lowered tolerance for downtime and expectation of high availability, with budgets that don't always allow for this. Problem is, people generally don't like to spend money on expensive just-in-case doomsday stuff. It's not sexy. It's boring, and people think it won't happen to them, or they'll have new stuff by the time it's a concern. Maybe, maybe not.

My personal [unsolicited] perspective is that if your data is in any way important to you, there are options for varying levels of protection. Doesn't have to be all or nothing, and it doesn't have to be the best on the market. There are ways to get there with a little time and creativity. I've had failures of my own - more than a few over the years - that forced me to look at my own DR coverage. It can happen to anyone, and it's something I'm seeing more and more often, especially with a lot of people switching to notebooks as primary computers over the years. They get bumped and jostled about; mishandled. Well guess what? That's one of the worst things for a mechanical hard drive and one of the reasons notebooks fail prematurely. SSD (solid state) has become more affordable and is coming on strong and making that less of an issue. Anyway, as Ryan details, he's got a solid plan in place for protecting only his most important data. Everyone can and should at least be doing this much.

In your case, John, if not backing up that data anywhere else, maybe you can consider having a spare disk on hand - the exact same model as what you're currently using. When rebuilding a RAID array, there's heavy read/write operations between the disks. The concern here is for failure of a second disk under the rebuild process and losing the array entirely. Not as big a concern for newer hardware, but in older disks, last thing you want is to be feeling relieved about catching a bad disk, and then have a second disk pop under the read stress in rebuilding the array. Definitely a good idea to look into cloud. We've talked about this, so quit avoiding it :) Seems to me the best time to start this is when you're in the early stages of amassing data so it's more manageable, otherwise you'll end up like Ryan and break the internet for everyone in trying to backup his library.

Re: the importance of same disks - This can be rare, but sometimes there can be issues with disk firmware mismatch, and it can corrupt the array. This is why I recommend having a spare disk on hand of the exact same model and firmware. Just depends. Consumer RAID systems may not be as picky, but some enterprise stuff is. Err on the side of caution, I say, but I'm paranoid.

Sorry for the length/rant. DR is something I'm passionate about. Trying to help prevent people having to suffer the horrible regret of not being protected against hardware failures, and to share that DR isn't just for big business anymore.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Erik Tracy
    edited April 2017
    The misconception of mirrored RAID as a 'backup' doesn't protect your data from file system corruption or human error (as in oops - why did I do that - which happens).

In a mirrored RAID configuration - whatever operation happens on the primary disk happens to the mirror disk. You delete a file, then it's deleted from the mirror.

RAID mirroring protects you from a disk failure to give you continued access to your data - it enhances 'availability' and reduces downtime to your data because the mirror will 'take over', but it is NOT a "backup".

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2017
    msg wrote: »
    Sorry for the length/rant. DR is something I'm passionate about. Trying to help prevent people having to suffer the horrible regret of not being protected against hardware failures, and to share that DR isn't just for big business anymore.

To me, the best protection, the best way to avoid dealing with DR, is to have the physical media as the backup. Those worried about the internet going away or EMT blasts, ;) Hardware failures and corrupted software, losing your files in some fashion.....none of those things would be a concern if....you had the physical media.

Speaking music files, other data files is a different story.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Erik Tracy
    But if one's collection approach is downloads - there is no physical media.

I get your point though - I'll never give up my physical media....ever.

• tophatjohnny
    I plan to pick up a couple of SS Drives and a whole new NAS unit before too long and before I do that I will have all my files saved to the provided cloud from Synology. Wasn't going to say that just yet as I'm still building my library and this project will take me a while before I get to the transfer. Then I'll just put the current NAS into storage. Couldn't imaging where I'd store 13K + cd's????????
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited April 2017

Back-up is definitely an issue once you accumulate a library of that size.

Post edited by Gatecrasher on
  • msg
    Your enclosure looks a little flimsy.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

Dell chasis?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Gatecrasher
    edited April 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Dell chasis?

Addonics: http://www.addonics.com/

2ynlztd.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Dell chasis?

Addonics: http://www.addonics.com/

No fun....you took out the pic of the box
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Gatecrasher
  • txcoastal1
    3gpi8wtz109o.jpg

• txcoastal1
    Hehehehe
    4tnymy1fl4j8.jpg