RTI- 5 or 7--Which is better?

2»

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Come on people lets ALL be nice here please.

Now to the OP post.

I have RTI8 speakers and don't have the bucks for an amp or the circuit to provide the power to it. They sound good on my mid range AVR's I have used on them.

Now as for the S60's. I had a good listen to them on a low end Onkyo (a 505 or 515) and they sounded fantastic even without a sub.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut wrote: »
    I was curious as to the peak to peak amperes rating of your AVR since you said it was decent, so I tried to find that information, but was unable to. Since your response to my legitimate question resulted in yet another attack I can only presume you have no idea what it is.

Why do you persist in being a hemorrhoid?
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    As I thought, you can't answer the question and you can't be civil.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

You see, while you were trying to prove me wrong, I had other things to do.
    I cooked a wonderful Pot Roast in my pressure cooker followed by bar-b-q pulled pork.

Then I log in and find you want trouble and conflict.
    I don't have time for you.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    Yet, you keep posting and still no answer. The only one that has shown a desire for trouble and conflict is you. Not unlike your MO on a multitude of other forums you post on.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Yet, you keep posting and still no answer. The only one that has shown a desire for trouble and conflict is you. Not unlike your MO on a multitude of other forums you post on.

How many other forums do I post on?
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4

Let us all be clear---I do not owe you an answer to anything.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

F1nut wrote: »

You see, while you were trying to prove me wrong, I had other things to do.
    I cooked a wonderful Pot Roast in my pressure cooker followed by bar-b-q pulled pork.

Then I log in and find you want trouble and conflict.
    I don't have time for you.

Your combination should sound great!
    Welcome to the forum, sincerely, and hope you will stay.

As with anything audio there will be all kinda different opinions, but most will usually only apply to the person giving the opinion. Do what your heart tells you to do and have fun!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    With that AVR only, I would of chose the A5s and ran dual Subs, then again you don't state if your doing HT and Music or a two channel system, never the less you already chose a great pair of speakers so get an amp so you can really enjoy them , and until the amp comes along be easy on the volume.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • K_M
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    With that AVR only, I would of chose the A5s and ran dual Subs, then again you don't state if your doing HT and Music or a two channel system, never the less you already chose a great pair of speakers so get an amp so you can really enjoy them , and until the amp comes along be easy on the volume.

You guys must listen really loud!

Even our bottom of the line AVR, can even run our lsi15's (which are a bit of a tough load) at fairly decent volumes without distortion, or overheating or any signs of strain.

I think it might be fair to say, that with our power amp there was a bit more punch to the bass and higher levels were more open and clean sounding, but that was at levels beyond what we would even normally use.

We did it in 2 channel mode, but with the AVR switched to 8 ohm loads, not 6 ohm, as many do, thinkging it will drive low ohm loads better, but which actually has a negative effect power wise.
  • When I watch movies I do a 5.0 config because of space constraints my Polk sub takes up too much room. For music I like a 4.0 setting, turning off the center and using my surrounds--Polk RTi4's. I think music sounds better with the center inactive.
    I have yet to run out of power or hit distortion in my system because the sound pressure get too loud in the room to overdrive my speakers.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • K_M
    When I watch movies I do a 5.0 config because of space constraints my Polk sub takes up too much room. For music I like a 4.0 setting, turning off the center and using my surrounds--Polk RTi4's. I think music sounds better with the center inactive.
    I have yet to run out of power or hit distortion in my system because the sound pressure get too loud in the room to overdrive my speakers.

Like I said, size of room and loudness level may vary a good bit from person to person, so in some instances it may never be detrimental.

My days of really loud music never really happened. Think that is more of a guy thing
  • F1nut

Yet, you thought we owed you answers to your questions. I know it will be tough, but think real hard about that one.

That said, the fact of the matter is your AVR or any AVR for that matter, simply does not have the capability to provide high peak to peak amperes. That you said yours is decent shows you don't know what that means.

Seems clear to me. I said, "a multitude."

With that, I'm out of this one.

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    K_M wrote: »

I think it might be fair to say, that with our power amp there was a bit more punch to the bass and higher levels were more open and clean sounding, but that was at levels beyond what we would even normally use.

Your second paragraph pretty much sums it up, more punch to the bass higher levels were open and clean sounding, which most refer to as clarity. I don't understand you so you don't use that power amp of yours or do you? I listen to movies at reference levels just like at the theatre I don't worry about damaging my babies as the have an amp to provide them what they need.

The OP will be fine as long as he don't go overboard on the volume those reference series that he got will be fine as long as the volume stays at a safe room filling level, but if he does get an amp for them he will experience what you are trying to or not trying to convince him you always seem to contradict yourself. To the OP enjoy those speakers.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • K_M
    K_M wrote: »

Your second paragraph pretty much sums it up, more punch to the bass higher levels were open and clean sounding, which most refer to as clarity. I don't understand you so you don't use that power amp of yours or do you? I listen to movies at reference levels just like at the theatre I don't worry about damaging my babies as the have an amp to provide them what they need.

The OP will be fine as long as he don't go overboard on the volume those reference series that he got will be fine as long as the volume stays at a safe room filling level, but if he does get an amp for them he will experience what you are trying to or not trying to convince him you always seem to contradict yourself. To the OP enjoy those speakers.

I have had that same thing happen when I tried to quote someone several times.

I know I am quoting properly, so maybe a forum bug@!
  • K_M
    Yes we normally use 2 different Power amps, but we have (this is embarrassing seriously) literally 3 set ups in each of our houses. I started to list our stuff ,but got tired doing it, not a great numbers and name person.

The AVRs we have we use in bedroom/office systems.
    But we pulled one out and hooked it to our main living room system just to see how it would be, as we never heard it in any room other than bedroom

We were a bit shocked it was better than we thougth, was all.
    it is some cheapo Yamaha, (yes forget number again) but it was really okay sounding!
  • K_M
    edited March 2017
    Gonna chill to some larry carlton now. I can barely hear as it is, very sick still, but soon my meds will have me dozing off again!

Yet, you thought we owed you answers to your questions. I know it will be tough, but think real hard about that one.

That said, the fact of the matter is your AVR or any AVR for that matter, simply does not have the capability to provide high peak to peak amperes. That you said yours is decent shows you don't know what that means.

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya
    Just stay away from me and the Forum will be a nicer place.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    61bpd5k41lg4.gif

President of Club Polk

• Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    edited March 2017

WVHillbilly, I see you have already met our resident board troll. Just don't feed him by responding to him, and he will go away.

Post edited by Kurt300 on
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited March 2017
    I very much doubt Jesse has "disturbing psychological issues". Also, I've never seen him say a word about his post count to a new member nor discuss how his post count makes him feel. The advice he gives people is actual advice and help, your use of quotations around help insinuates that he's purposely giving false information to people and that's just not true. This seems like quite a bit of made up information in an attempt to take a stab at him.

Edit: I'm not talking to my invisible friend. Kurt300 edited out a bunch of slander while I was typing.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    Just ignore kurt, everyone else does. I have to admit though I am amused at the fact I've been under his skin for years. I bet he even dreams about me...... :D

President of Club Polk

• Hey--am I getting BASHED for buying S60 Speakers with an AVR you guys do not "Approve of" ?

Read the whole thread and didn't see any bashing done. Neither tonyb or f1nutt. They were still giving you advice. A question was asked and an advice was given. Congrats on the new speakers and welcome to club Polk.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    edited March 2017

Why do all your posts eventually turn into a p*ssing match? You ask a question, you get excellent advice, you do the OPPOSITE..and then you cry. You will definitely see that the advice here was correct, eventually. As far as the forum being a nice place, it was.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • Maybe not the right place and o well if it isn't but I just wanted to thank f1 nut and the rest for there opinions when I bought my 9s, I bought a parasound 750a on top of the receiver, if I find a good 1500 or 2200 I would consider buying one and use the 750 for the center or somewhere else, been off for a while but had to say thanks.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    msCritter1 wrote: »
    Maybe not the right place and o well if it isn't but I just wanted to thank f1 nut and the rest for there opinions when I bought my 9s, I bought a parasound 750a on top of the receiver, if I find a good 1500 or 2200 I would consider buying one and use the 750 for the center or somewhere else, been off for a while but had to say thanks.

Probably better to start a different thread than to put it here, or add to your other posts. I take it your enjoying the additional parasound ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable