RTI- 5 or 7--Which is better?

Options
I am looking at these two about the same price.
Mostly used for HT but I want great for music also.
Need some advice here.
Running a Denon AVR.
Denon X1200W
Sony BDP S-590
Mains Signature S60
Center Signature S55
Surrounds Polk RTi-4

Comments

• barasn
    barasn Posts: 25
    Options
  • WVHillbilly
    Options
    Do the new Polk S series sound better than RTi's?
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    I am looking at these two about the same price.
    Mostly used for HT but I want great for music also.
    Need some advice here.
    Running a Denon AVR.

Two questions:

Do you have a good sub?
    What model is the denon, does it have preouts, and would you consider an external amp?

Okay, technically more than two, but the main points are that the 7s should put out a little more more bass, but will need more power to sound their best.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • WVHillbilly
    Options
    I have a PSW 505 and no pre outs on my W1200X. I'm not interested in adding any amps unless they are tubes. I have a small listening area and doubt my amps go beyond 10 Watts even on peak listening.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The A5's with a sub may be your best bet then.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    I have a PSW 505 and no pre outs on my W1200X. I'm not interested in adding any amps unless they are tubes. I have a small listening area and doubt my amps go beyond 10 Watts even on peak listening.

It's not about watts, it's about amperes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WVHillbilly
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Yes--I kmow it's about amperes--that is why I also have 2 old school H-K.
    When I picked the Denon, because it had more features than my H-K's,I was worried about dynamic sound and amperes---My Denon sounds pretty good. Much better than a Yammie I got rid of and much cleaner than an Onkyo I sold.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Listened to the A5's, 7's, and 9's when I bought mine. Was at Fry's, and used the biggest AVR they had at the time, mid-range Denon. The A9's sounded like a couple of censored words, no where enough power to drive them.

The A7's, the bass sounded muddy, and the mid-range sounded restrained. Again just not enough power. They tried to sound good, just couldn't quite get there.

The A5's sounded pretty good. They do start struggling around the lower 40 Hz range, so a sub is necessary.

Duel purpose rig, keep it minimal-AVR only, go with the A5's. Some people are happy with the A7's on upper end AVR's, but I don't think yours is quite robust enough.

• F1nut
    Options

Yes--I kmow it's about amperes--that is why I also have 2 old school H-K.
    When I picked the Denon, because it had more features than my H-K's,I was worried about dynamic sound and amperes---My Denon sounds pretty good. Much better than a Yammie I got rid of and much cleaner than an Onkyo I sold.

AVR's don't have much in the way of amperes, that's why adding a real power amp was suggested. Should you ever do that you'll hear what we're talking about.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WVHillbilly
    Options
    Since I've lived for 60 years and heard all kinds of systems I know what you're talking about and will say---Thanks for your advice and help--I pulled the trigger on a pair of S 60's.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • tonyb
    Options
    SIG 60's....on that 80 watt receiver ? Your not going to get the most out of those speakers for sure. That's why we confirmed the A5's as the better choice to match your receivers power. The S60's would benefit with more than that Denon can give.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Hope it sounds like you want.

If it doesn't, this may be the start of a new journey for you.
    Or, based on your room size, this may be all you require.
    Welcome to the club.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • WVHillbilly
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    SIG 60's....on that 80 watt receiver ? Your not going to get the most out of those speakers for sure. That's why we confirmed the A5's as the better choice to match your receivers power. The S60's would benefit with more than that Denon can give.[/quote

Thanks for your suggestion--don't be offended that I didn't buy what you thought would work for me. I actually wanted better speakers than the Rti-A5's.
    Since Polkies think the Rti is good for theater and not so much for music, I went with Cathy's (I think that's her name) endorsement of the S60, good for both theater and music. If I find my AVR to be too wimpy for these speakers, I can always go to accessories4less and buy a more suitable unit. Right now I'm buying the best Polk's I can afford--and I did get them for a great price, I'll deal with other issues as they come up.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    Options
    FYI, she is driving them with a powerful Sunfire amp, not an AVR. Big difference.

President of Club Polk

• WVHillbilly
    Options
    Hey--am I getting BASHED for buying S60 Speakers with an AVR you guys do not "Approve of" ?
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • WVHillbilly
    Options
    Some of you guys Take the Enjoyment Out of buying Polk Speakers. Everyone cannot afford Big 200 WPC amps and I don't see anywhere on the Polk website where that is a requirement of owning Polks. Most power specs of Polk Towers start around the same wattage ( 20 ). Some of you need to give people a break and accept that we all have different systems and different requirements with different budgets.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You've been given excellent advice, but in the end it's your choice. Just don't come back and say we told you so. Congrats on your new speakers!

President of Club Polk

• WVHillbilly
    Options
    You've been given excellent advice, but in the end it's your choice. Just don't come back and say we told you so. Congrats on your new speakers!

Really? That's a Left Handed compliment. So I didn't take the "Excellent Advice" and now you think I'm going to regret it. How long have you guys been on a High Horse?
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    Options
    Sigh.........

President of Club Polk

• WVHillbilly
    Options
    Sigh.........

Really, What is YOUR problem? A new forum member comes in, wants to talk about different Polk Speakers. he gets some information, from that information, he makes a choice that you don't like--so you and tonyb tell him what a dummy he is and how he's gonna regret his choice because you do not think he's smart enough to pair speakers with his existing equipment.
    So you "SIGH".
    No wonder Polk has a bad reputation in other forums.
    I came in open minded but have made this experience krappy for me--Thanks.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    Options
    I'm sorry you don't like the answers to your questions, but you did ask.

President of Club Polk

• WVHillbilly
    Options
    I'm sorry you don't like the answers to your questions, but you did ask.

No--you have it backwards---I did ask and took the advice into consideration and then made MY CHOICE, which you and your friend decided to flame.
    Sorry you "can't" like MY CHOICE without being an ****.

Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    Options
    Good luck to you.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    SIG 60's....on that 80 watt receiver ? Your not going to get the most out of those speakers for sure. That's why we confirmed the A5's as the better choice to match your receivers power. The S60's would benefit with more than that Denon can give.[/quote

Thanks for your suggestion--don't be offended that I didn't buy what you thought would work for me. I actually wanted better speakers than the Rti-A5's.
    Since Polkies think the Rti is good for theater and not so much for music, I went with Cathy's (I think that's her name) endorsement of the S60, good for both theater and music. If I find my AVR to be too wimpy for these speakers, I can always go to accessories4less and buy a more suitable unit. Right now I'm buying the best Polk's I can afford--and I did get them for a great price, I'll deal with other issues as they come up.

I'm not offended, you asked which was better, RTIA5's or 7's.....Gave you my opinion based on your situation. Obviously it's your choice.

Now it's your turn, don't be offended if some question your choice because we have your best interests at heart. Too many times we see the same scenario with people wanting bigger speakers but not powering them correctly. They turn up the volume dial and push the receiver to it's limits and usually fry a tweeter or crossover. The members are just trying to steer you away from making those mistakes and costing you money and aggravation down the road. Like you said though, in the end it's your choice, so enjoy the new speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WVHillbilly
    Options

I'm not offended, you asked which was better, RTIA5's or 7's.....Gave you my opinion based on your situation. Obviously it's your choice.

Now it's your turn, don't be offended if some question your choice because we have your best interests at heart. Too many times we see the same scenario with people wanting bigger speakers but not powering them correctly. They turn up the volume dial and push the receiver to it's limits and usually fry a tweeter or crossover. The members are just trying to steer you away from making those mistakes and costinge you money and aggravation down the road. Like you said though, in the end it's your choice, so enjoy the new speakers.

Thanks for your reply--I'm very much aware of powering speaking situations and under powered situations and clipping of amps which lead to frying of speakers.
    In my situation, I won't be trying to crank my speakers up to reference levels.
    Even though My denon is only 80 watts--it seems to have pretty good dynamics and decent amperage when compared to other AVR's I've owned. Denon and Marantz are the same company and while a Denon is not a Marantz--it's pretty close. If I find I really need more power I'll get a new Denon and sneak it in past my wife.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    Options
    So, what is the peak to peak amp rating of your X1200W? Note, I used the correct model ID.

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    @WVHillbilly

Welcome to the forum. The advice was good, but as stated it is your choice.

It appears you have enough knowledge not to "cook" the speakers/crossovers, but some don't and things turn south quickly. That is what the guys were trying to prevent.

You may like them with your receiver and then maybe some day try a amp and like them more or not.

It took me a while to get away from receivers and then it was another world.

Relax and enjoy the journey, can be a lot of fun.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Hi WVHillbilly,

What they were basically trying to say is that while the S60's will run on your receiver, they most likely won't operate to their full potential, which is enormous when fully powered.

So please be careful with the volume knob, and maybe plan to get a separate amp in the future, providing you have preouts on your current receiver.

You are in for a treat when you get them, I am loving mine! :)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • WVHillbilly
    Options
    So, what is the peak to peak amp rating of your X1200W? Note, I used the correct model ID.

If you're just here to pick,pick, pick, go somewhere else.
    I really do not need your negativity.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • F1nut
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was curious as to the peak to peak amperes rating of your AVR since you said it was decent, so I tried to find that information, but was unable to. Since your response to my legitimate question resulted in yet another attack I can only presume you have no idea what it is.

President of Club Polk