Entry level Speakers tsi100 or t50?

Options
I have a question. I am a rookie at speaker set ups so I don't know very much about this stuff. My main question is for my main left and right speakers should I get the t50s or would the tsi100 be just as good. I am on a budget and trying to get the best deal for everything. i am looking to eventually build up to a 5.1 set-up, but probably can't get it all at once, so which speakers should I get first. Mainly just looking for advice from people with more experience. How would you go about building your system on a tight budget?

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Tight budget, I'd go used off CL or Ebay...
  • ut_Jazz
    ut_Jazz Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks I had heard mix feelings as to whether floor standing speakers are better than bookshelf ones. And I was having to a hard time comparing the two. Do you have any other recommendations at that price point.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Question would be based on room size. If you have a small room I would go with the T50's and build around that.

If you have a larger room then I would start with the TSI's and move them to rear channels in the future, and replace the fronts with TSi Towers.

Welcome to Club Polk

IMHO patience is the best advice I can give, build the best you can in a budget with a better result....even if it takes awhile ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Well there you go...a seesaw

How big is the room?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    The T50's are one of the best sounding speakers out there in that price range. I personally think the T-series sounds better than the TSI-series. I would probably take the T15 over the TSI 100.
  • ut_Jazz
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. Right now it is a smaller room that it would be in. (hopefully bigger in the future though). I didn't think about the price of stands either so that is good to think about. Overall it seems like the t50s are very well liked around here.
  • ut_Jazz
    Options
    Hmm I haven't looked much into this TSx series I don't really know anything about them. My biggest problem is there is a real lack of places for me to test out speakers in my area. Does anyone else have an opinion on the the speakers Donner mentioned?
  • VoodooGTS
    VoodooGTS Posts: 62
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »
    The T50's are one of the best sounding speakers out there in that price range. I personally think the T-series sounds better than the TSI-series. I would probably take the T15 over the TSI 100.

I don't know that I would go that far. The AJ Pioneers are far better than the T15. The T50 is a different story though.

T15 did me well when I was using them. I'm selling them btw for $40 if you are interested. Just about 3 months old good condition.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    @ut_Jazz where are you located? @ken brydson mentioned used in his post. Have you checked the local Craigslist? You can often find some great used speakers cheaper than new.

What's local for you? Members on here can check your area and make suggestions.
  • patstock11
    Options
    I enjoyed my tseries speakers. Just replaced them, they sounded great for the price. Got 2 t50s and a t30 on long island if anyone interested
  • ut_Jazz
    Options
    I live in the Provo/salt lake area of Utah. I haven't checked Craigslist too much, mainly just because I don't have to much experience with setting up speakers so I'm worried I'll get tricked into buying something. But it's definitely worth a look
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    ut_Jazz wrote: »
    I live in the Provo/salt lake area of Utah. I haven't checked Craigslist too much, mainly just because I don't have to much experience with setting up speakers so I'm worried I'll get tricked into buying something. But it's definitely worth a look

I checked your local CL and the only thing I saw were some NHT speakers that I have never heard but read good things about. No Polks in your area.

https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/ele/5985099885.html

It's probably too far but there are some T15's and a center channel for cheap in Grand Junction. Only $40 for all three speakers.

https://westslope.craigslist.org/ele/6032470122.html

Good luck.
  • ut_Jazz
    Options
    @Jimbo18 thanks for your help and looking! I'll look more into those
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    It's probably a pretty good distance for you but those T15's and center are practically a giveaway.
  • ut_Jazz
    Options
    haha yeah its about a four hour drive one way. In my last semester of school right now and working, it would be a stretch justifying taking off a day to get them
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I would also suggest buying the best pair pair u can now and then slowly build around them. How about the s55? Run them on their own for awhile then add a sub (not a polk), then a center, then surrounds. That way you will be happy for a long time...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer