I use the PORTABLE/MCAAC setup on a junky Pioneer AVR to play music from PC

Is it possible to use the setup (calibration mic) jack on a Yamaha or Marantz the same way although it is not marked portable in the same way without messing something up?

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Ha! It sometimes pays off to hoard a billion useless cables. I found a male 3.5 to RCA spliter. Problem solved I think.
  • afterburnt
    Problem not solved ugh? I get a huge hum on all of the analog inputs. But I do have 2 more spliters to try when I go back. One of them is supposed to be double shielded, the other I don't know if it shielded at all. Do yooz think the shielding is the problem?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    What are you splitting?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    No, that jack isn't meant for music from what I can tell. If your purpose is to play music from a PC, use a digital out connection on the PC if you have one and go straight into the back of the receivers digital inputs.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2017
    USB out from PC to Emo Little Ego. DAC, headphone out to RCA splitter into AVR. It works fine going into the 3.5 portable ont front of an old Pioneer bot not to the RCAs in back of an old Marantz
  • afterburnt
    3.5 to 3.5 on Pioneer
    3.5to RCA on the Marantz
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    RCA hook ups are primarily geared for a line level signals. My guess would be delete the DAC which I'm also guessing doubles as an amp and see how it turns out.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2017
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    RCA hook ups are primarily geared for a line level signals. My guess would be delete the DAC which I'm also guessing doubles as an amp and see how it turns out.

I would have to use the PC's 3.5 out so wouldn't that send a cruddy analog signal straight to the AVR?

"The Headphone Output on your Little Ego delivers a very
    high quality analog signal, so you can also use it to connect
    your Little Ego to the line level inputs on preamps, pre/pros,
    external headphone amplifiers, and powered monitors."

• HzTweaker
    afterburnt wrote: »
    wouldn't that send a cruddy analog signal straight to the AVR?

Possibly. Check your cable. It sounds like its unbalanced.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • afterburnt
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    wouldn't that send a cruddy analog signal straight to the AVR?

Possibly. Check your cable. It sounds like its unbalanced.

It is just a splitter from 3.5 jack to L and R RCA

https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/dacs/little-ego
  • HzTweaker
    The little-ego is a headphone DAC. Perhaps the impedance from the hp DAC isn't an expectable amount for the AVRs inputs. Thus compromising your sound quality.