My 2.3 TL rebuild (and so the journey begins)

Options
I finally got my set of dream speakers about 2 years ago, the 2.3 TL's for $700. The speakers were in great shape both cosmetically and mechanically , about an 8 or 9 out of 10. About 30 years ago I remember looking at the larger Polks (1.2 and 2.3's), I was dreaming and drooling, but they were well out of my price range. So I settled for a set of 2A's for $855, which was still a lot of money, and they served me well till I replaced them with the 2.3 TL's Anyway I started the upgrades to the 2.3 TL's this week, which will include Larry's rings, Black Hole 5, Dynamat Extreme, Armacel, and Loctite Powergrab.

First was to Powergrab the speaker magnets and caulk any seams inside the speaker cabinet. I found the 6 oz tube at Home Depot was better than the cartridge and caulk gun for fitting inside the speaker cabinets

Magnets firmly secured
x7v8u53xpxok.jpg

All inside seams sealed
y7cqcd61xlkr.jpg

While inside I found one of the braces unglued from the back wall. Powergrab to the rescue
49zeemqwr3af.jpg

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,173
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Welcome to CP. Nice speakers. I read through your post about power grab for the magnets but what type of sealant are you using for the cabinets? Edit: Duh, you used powergrab LOL. No sure if that's intended for the MDF but what do I know.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    I think you're also supposed to put a bead of sealant around the underside of the magnet where it meets the basket. Someone will chime in soon whether that needs to be done.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Drahthaar
    Options
    Thanks michaeljhsda2. I used the Loctite Powergrab for both the magnets and the inside of the cabinets. Its amazing how strong the Powergrab is on the brace that was loose. Also the underside of the magnets was done, it just doesn't show up well in the photo
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,173
    edited February 2017
    Options
    B) Nice work. I need to do the Powergrab on all the MW's on the 1.2 TL's. Hoping one day to hear some 2.3TL's.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Nice - these have always been on my list, alas I just don't have the room for them!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Drahthaar
    Options
    Next was on to the Dynamat. I was surprised how long this actually took. I made a template out of some card stock and then traced the pattern onto the Dynamat

For the MW
    hl0f8engi1z5.jpg

Also for the PR
    waxh1hmnmxf6.jpg

One down eleven more to go
    p7yqa0svtpep.jpg

I found using a wallpaper roller was great for smoothing out the Dynamat. Thanks for letting me borrow that Hun.
    2e9yb4w1sk9b.jpg

Finished product, a labor of love
    ljx4n80h3z4f.jpg

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Looking good.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Great job.
    Keep it going!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Couple of things.....one does NOT need to cover the entire surface of the steel baskets. A strip on every spoke is more than enough. To the OP, be sure to check and tighten the end cap nuts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Drahthaar
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Couple of things.....one does NOT need to cover the entire surface of the steel baskets. A strip on every spoke is more than enough. To the OP, be sure to check and tighten the end cap nuts.

Yea, I got a little carry away with the Dynamat, but hey, it was my first time. On the end cap nuts , I went ahead and pulled the nuts and washers off and made a gasket out of Armacel to go under the washer, then tightened everything up nice and snug. Later that day I went back over them a second time and re-tightened them . The best way I found was to peal the paper backing off the Armacel, stick it to the washer, then it slides very easily onto the stud.
    ze5sj63l07od.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    That'll work. I used a different type of gasket and added lock nuts.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Drahthaar
    Options
    Next part of the speakers rebuild was new gaskets. I cut the Armacel into 7/16"W X 19 3/4"L strips for the MW's. The length gives you a little extra to play with. The Armacel is very easy to work with and lays perfectly flat while its being applied. The length for the PR's will be different from model to model.z1kkf3lmd0a7.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    I think you'll be shocked to find that after compression your new gaskets will look exactly like the stock ones, so unless the stock ones are damaged, why bother?

President of Club Polk

• Drahthaar
    Options
    It's is amazing how thin the original gaskets are. So your saying the new ones will compress to the same thickness as the old ones?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yes.

President of Club Polk

• Drahthaar
    Options
    On to the next part of the project, installing Larry's rings, thanks Larry. This is pretty much straight forward. Mount the template on with c-clamps, I found having a clamp on each side of the hole being drilled kept the template from raising up. Using a 9/32 bit just go slow and don't force it. Also if your worried about blowing out to much of the backside that is being drilled, mount a small block of wood held with 2 c-clamps behind the hole being drilled. This will give a cleaner hole.
    ivhn8tlwabo3.jpg

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Couple of things.....one does NOT need to cover the entire surface of the steel baskets. A strip on every spoke is more than enough. To the OP, be sure to check and tighten the end cap nuts.[/quote

I've noticed almost everyone uses way more Dynamat than needed. When I was selling it, the display they provided was two gong like plates hanging side by side with a little bat to hit them with. They were about 10" circular plates. One had a small square of Dynamat maybe 1" square stuck on it. That's all it took to not ring like the raw plate. I got sick of people playing with it and threw it away but it did show not much is needed. Point is, a little piece on each leg of the baskets is all that's really needed. And covering the back plate and/or wrapping the magnet is a complete waste. Over using it isn't hurting anything other than your cash flow and probably gives a feeling of a job well done so knock yourself out. Hell, double layer it if you want to really feel you're accomplishing something. But like F1nut said, a little strip down each leg is all it needs.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Options
    I likem allot.....Looks great and lets face it ! if you were going to pay someone good money or you actually bought these speakers from a manufacturer already done, you'd expect a professional job like this if you opened them up and had a peekaboo . I say mass load those speakers .
  • Drahthaar
    Drahthaar Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks ptrooper it was a lot of work, and I was pleased with the results
  • Drahthaar
    Drahthaar Posts: 48
    Options
    Lastly on the check list was cutting and installing the Blackhole 5. Mine was cut on a bandsaw with very little dust or waste. I cut 4 inch wide strips, by 27 inches long, for placement from the top of the highest MW speaker to the bottom of the lowest MW speaker. Repeat also for the SDA effect speakers. Next I cut 3 inch wide strips for the tweeters, long enough to create a ladder effect between the two vertical strips behind the MW's
    4d0j5dfodork.jpg
    tlcex2h1okxh.jpg

• F1nut
    Options
    FYI, there's no back wave from the tweeters.

President of Club Polk