New d.i.y. rca items at P.e.

Options
hotwheelman
hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
edited October 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
These look to be decent quality, would like to make a pair of I.c's to see how these ends perform. I also have a few pieces that I would like to upgrade the rca sockets on so I may just give these a try. Any ideas on what would be the best cable to use to make the i.c.'s?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=093-620&orefer=esf102104-093-620

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&partnumber=093-644&orefer=esf102104-093-644
"Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
"Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
Post edited by hotwheelman on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Beldon 89259 coax cable gets a lot of press in the DIY cable community. It's what signal cable uses in the Analog II.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2004
    Options
    You would pay 48 bucks each for those connectors? Seems really high to me IMO, when signal sells them complete for that... I like the idea of DIY but its for the price savings and fun of building em..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited October 2004
    Options
    The connections at either end, as long as you are comparing decent to decent (or greater), are not going to make much of an electrical difference (it would be negligable), and no audible difference. Personally, I would worry about the cable itself, or even better, spend that money on better equipment.

Just my fairly educated 2 cents :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Terminations are as important as the cable itself and could have a significant effect on the overall performance.

Just my fairly educated $0.02.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd pay that much for ends myself but.... My Kimber Hero's have WBT locking plugs and they are REALLY nice when swapping cables. A simple twist of the outer casing and they unplug effortlessly without straining the female plugs on the components.

Do they make a sonic difference? I don't know but once you lock them down, it makes for a very tight connection.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Locking RCA's should be industry standard. I agree, they are real nice and secure.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Locking RCA's should be industry standard. I agree, they are real nice and secure.

I like BNC the best!!!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    They are also very nice, but common folk don't know which end to stick in the outlet and which one in their mouth.....
  • bknauss
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai

Wouldn't mind that myself... but can we say "cha ching!"?
    Brian Knauss
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Options
    That's very true.
  • bknauss
    edited October 2004
    Options
    BNC would be best though. I've heard rumors/opinions/tests/whatever that they provide the best contact. Too bad they're only generally used in electrical test equipment.
    Brian Knauss
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Yes, and locking banana plugs for speaker leads... industry R-L spacing on the equipment too... much better than springpin, only better would be spade, and most bananna plugs can have that option too...

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.