Flowering Quince...

Options
Yep2
Yep2 Posts: 1,335
edited February 2017 in The Clubhouse
c3y1y7hsbvdp.jpg
Mine is looking pretty rough (old).
There is one a few miles from me that is FULL of blooms!
I've enjoyed mine for 10 years.
If I'm not mistaken, they come in different colors.
I'd like to have more off this one...
I don't have a clue how to transplant a plant?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Spring has sprung.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Does it have seeds?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Cuttings from a shrub are very easy, you can work up the soil nearby, bend a branch to the ground, cover with soil and a brick or something to hold it down, and in a few months, snip between the ground and shrub, and it will have rooted itself.

Also you can take wet peat moss, wrap it around a stem, wrap in aluminum foil, then saran wrap.

A google search will tell you the best time, but early summer gives you plenty of time to do these cuttings, replant, and re root in their new home before frost.

BTW, many old tired shrubs can be rejuvenated by cutting the old thick unproductive wood out, and after a quince blooms is a good time to do it, would not hurt a bit if you got a bag of cottonseed meal, pound foot deep holes around the shrub and pour the cottonseed meal in, its a great slow release nitrogen, I believe you can save this shrub as well as do well with cuttings, your property will be painted.

Forsythia is a really nice shrub to plant near or with quince as they bloom at the same time

good luck
    scott and deb
    Post edited by scottyboy76 on
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • F1nut
    Options
    Better check, the good stuff doesn't have them. >:)

President of Club Polk

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Spring has sprung.
    Spring has sprung.
    The Grass is ris.
    I wonder where
    The birdies is.

I'd credit my late grandfather with that one, but I think he stole it from Ogden Nash... :)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Spring has sprung.
    Spring has sprung.
    The Grass is ris.
    I wonder where
    The birdies is.

I'd credit my late grandfather with that one, but I think he stole it from Ogden Nash... :)

That was nice, and a lot nicer poem than the one my grandfather left with me
    Here I sit all broken hearted....well you know the rest
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Scottyboy has the right of it.

This shrub flowers & fruits only on new wood.
    Cut away about 1/3 of the old wood, right to the crown. Do this once a year for 3 years. It's called "rejuvenation pruning".
    It should be done between autumn & leaf-break in the spring, while the plant is dormant.

You can start new shrubs from softwood cuttings in addition to the "layering" method described above. Decent HOW-TO at:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/flowering-quince/flowering-quince-propagation.htm
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    Better check, the good stuff doesn't have them. >:)
    2 days until I got that, swear to god

humpty dumpty was pushed
  • MrSandman89
    MrSandman89 Posts: 10
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Wonderfull! Your flowers look wonderful! My wife would love them, she's crazy about flowers. Thanks to her effort we have the most beautiful garden from the neighborhood. All our neighbors envy us. We got some rare flowers also, like the Lady's Slipper. But what I love the most isn't this flower, I love the Angel’s Trumpet. They're so beautiful. When they bloom, all our garden fills with color. I think I might be a fan of the bell shaped flower.