Anyone Collect 45 RPM Picture Sleeves, 45 RPM Singles, Colored Vinyl, Picture Discs, and EP's?

Options
Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
edited March 2017 in The Clubhouse
I was digging through some of my old stuff today and found a box of 45's I hadn't looked at in a long time. Back in the 70s up to the early 80s I used to collect 45 picture sleeves and had quite a collection. I only have a small box of them left but there are some very cool releases in it.

In the days before digital music, whenever a single was released the record companies usually only produced a few thousand picture sleeves. The rest of the 45's had a plain paper sleeve so if you wanted to get a picture sleeve in the stores you usually had to grab one in the first couple weeks before they were all snatched-up.

Here are a couple. The sleeves show some wear after 40 years or so but the actual records inside have never been played and are in mint condition.

The Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Women / You Can't Always Get What You Want (1969)
mkfx3q.jpg

oadbp4.jpg

The Beatles - Love Me Do / P.S. I Love You (1982 Re-Release)
jaxt2d.jpg

30vzy2t.jpg

If anyone else has any 45 picture sleeves, colored vinyl, etc. from the era feel free to add to the thread!

I'll be adding more from my collection.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    The only ones I have are much older.
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The only ones I have are much older.

Post 'em up!

Here's another one of mine. Unlike most of my 45's, it looks like I played this one a few times.

Mitch Ryder (and The Detroit Wheels) - Sock It To Me-Baby! / I Never Had It Better (1967)

2nlrbk1.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I had a few... wonder if any survived. I'll dig around when I get home.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    I actually unearthed one of my two big boxes of '50s 45s (from my father's broadcast days) today -- looking for Something Else Entirely.

I actually managed to find what I was looking for, too (that is so rare an event as to be almost unknown, actually) :)
  • dee1949
    dee1949 Posts: 1,425
    Options
    ... i have about 10 Elvis albums and single covers. from my brother. NO records.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    62pz4ul67won.jpg
    xn2p3c963tmm.jpg
    rp10py8upd6a.jpg
    9p4mbs5g4pwk.jpg
    88u2mwhhuq7y.jpg
    jb5c3x6ltxrx.jpg
    dqwqwxr5i8dv.jpg
    slxkmmll19d5.jpg
    5f6acwt7o3qj.jpg
    b0pm9or7r65a.jpg
    yo797ca3ifla.jpg
    ao3ttyhc8cvb.jpg
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Here is some on the wall that leads down to the basement. My basement used to be my music room until I got married and had to convert the basement. I still have around 1000+ 45s for my jukeboxes. I had 7 of them but again did the marriage thing and down to 4
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    damn ernie, no wonder we don't have any, you got em all, really cool
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • Gatecrasher
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Wow! Lot's of cool picture discs there erniejade.

313k61l.jpg

xegcpv.jpg

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
    Options
    I want the Beavis and Butthead album !
  • dee1949
    dee1949 Posts: 1,425
    Options
    ... awesome collection. pass off your passion to your offspring
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    Here's a cool picture disc single I bought in 1982.

33m962q.jpg

2r3ku3l.jpg
  • erniejade
    Options
    Well shoot the stray cats and clash picture diak I do not have!
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    Yeah I saw them both in concert several times back then. Two of my favorites.
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    Here's another cool one from the "Serious Moonlight Tour" in 1983.

I saw him twice that year. Once at the Captial Center in MD and a second show at Hershey PA.

5b9s07.jpg

wqu0eo.jpg
  • erniejade
    Options
    Cool!! one of the blue 45's on the wall is blue jean
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    Very cool, I am both a 45 RPM and LP collector. I don't display them, I sure as heck play them. Cool stuff in this thread :smile:
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • erniejade
    Options
    The colored stuff plays good but, the picture disks are not for good sound quality. Many came with stickers saying this has a lower quality. They were more for looks.
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    I never saw any picture discs with those stickers on them but I believe you that some are like that.

I've played a couple of mine over the years and didn't really notice any difference but I usually don't play them. They are too nice to play.
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    Some more 45 picture sleeves....

33wxe1j.jpg

sfj67a.jpg
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    here is my Runaway's Picture disk
    lysuumqisqnx.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • erniejade
    Options
    Wow. The runaways. Joan Jett,
  • erniejade
    Options
    e5ii6o937aoi.jpg
    nk1kpsbcth8m.jpg
    spy3vcmbgle4.jpg
    zccnedcotw9i.jpg
  • erniejade
    Options
    A couple of close up of the warning / sticker.
  • voltz
    edited March 2017
    Options
    love the styx one, I have several Joan Jett & 2 patty Smyth's and several Pat Benatar's & Linda Ronstadt! and Lita Ford was in the Runaways too.
    I been collecting the women picture disk!

Ernie I think its always what you have!

I picked up a couple of the Killers picture Disk like Cougar Town! cause it looked cool :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• erniejade
    Options
    If you look close at the clash pic, in the black box toward the bottom it also says it.
  • erniejade
    Options
    I forgot about lita in the runaways.
  • voltz
    Options
    Can you say "Cherry Bomb" B)

• erniejade
    Options
    vfww1hg37f0c.jpg

Linda.