YPAO

Options
I ran YPAO for the first time and I need input. It sets everything to large. Now I understand that after running YPAO we should go back in manually and set it to small crossed over at 80Hz. I have 2 subs. Is this correct?

Secondly what should I change my EQ to? It set it to Flat but I'm unsure. Should I leave it?

Anything else that I'm missing?
Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Well, you have pretty large speakers there (RTiA9s), which are more than capable of handling full range signals. But there are opinions that in HT, all speakers should be set to small, crossed at 80Hz, no matter their size.

Correct? It comes down to what sounds good to you, and what your primary listening habits are? Not trying to be snarky here, I set my RTi10s to large, and the others to small - that seems to work out fine in my (mostly) HT rig.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Thanks for the response. It seems like my subs are turn off when I set the front 2 as large. Is this suppose to happen?
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    When I was running my Rti8 I set them to small, I currently run my 703s and set them to small too and I xover at 60 for both even though YPAO x them over at 40.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    I have two settings after running YPAO on my RX-V1800
    1) Fronts=Small, Bass=Sub, Xover at 80Hz: TV, Movies
    2) Fronts=Large, Bass=Both, Xover at 80Hz(for center and surrounds): multi-channel music

When I go 'old school' for 2 channel, the AVR gets turned off.

Try it.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Ok. I went back inside and set everything to large and found that I needed to turn on extra bass through my yamaha preamp to turn on both subs. Thanks guys.

• polrbehr
    Options
    Thanks for the response. It seems like my subs are turn off when I set the front 2 as large. Is this suppose to happen?
    With a Denon, I believe the setting is LFE + Main, this should send the signal to both the mains and the sub regardless of speaker size.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• codycatalist
    Options
    I set my RTA11TLs to Large but cut out anything below 60hz and blend my sub in with the cross over point at 85hz. Just my $.02
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    With a Denon, I believe the setting is LFE + Main, this should send the signal to both the mains and the sub regardless of speaker size.

Yea I've upgraded to a Yamaha cxa5000 a while back. For yamaha it's the "extra bass" setting for anybody else who has this problem.

• polrbehr
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yea I've upgraded to a Yamaha cxa5000 a while back. For yamaha it's the "extra bass" setting for anybody else who has this problem.
    Gotcha, I was going by the Denon in your sig, now I can stop looking for YPAO in my Denon menu... LOL

• dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Lol. Time for me to change it.

• dalylaleahthor
    Options
    Done. Didn't even realized how much things have changed.

• Bourneismyname
    Options
    I have a question using YPAO on Yamaha receiver (Sony subwoofer) Instructions say turn up subwoofer frequency cut off knob all the way up before testing. Doesn't say anything about the volume, but after running the YPAO test.... do I turn down the cut off knob to around 80?... can't really tell on this. It doesn't say if I should in the manual. Receiver crossover is set to 80.... even though it sets it to 110. Running "small" 5.1 all speakers. I read to leave sub knob cut off all the way up because receiver will do the work at 80.... even though I notice a bit of difference if I turn it. I keep the volume on sub 3/4 up.
    Long story short, manual doesn't say to turn down frequently knob (crossover? Knob) after test.
    Thanks.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Yes, leave the crossover knob turned all the way up. Your AVR takes care of it.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    If you calibrated it with sub volume at 3/4, you're probably ok leaving it there. I usually start mine around 1/2.
  • VoodooGTS
    Options
    Setting all speakers including tower speakers to small is the correct way?
    Getting the Signature S55 tower speakers, S35 front, and s10 rear with a PSW505 sub.

First time ever getting tower speakers but not to familiar if set up is any different.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The 'correct' way is what sounds best with your setup.

Try it both ways.

For movies - ok, sure, be safe: set towers to small.

For music - what sounds best is up to you.

AVR settings are more like 'guidelines'
    5af1800dbd18b30ced7a98fd63f0fe1f411091a0da880f6bf4dcdd967cce8270.jpg

Arrrr.... :p

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.