How to play a Mac 3.5" floppy disc?

I have a Macintosh 3.5" floppy disc that is formatted in Mac DS/DD arrangement. What would I need to add to my current Mac computer to be able to run this?
Thanks for any assistance.
Cheers, Ken

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Thanks, I sent him a PM...!
  • txcoastal1
    nbrowser wrote: »

I think its the old outdated MAC format that is the issue
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    edited February 2017
    nbrowser wrote: »
    txcoastal, if he's running a Mac all he would need is a floppy drive to read the disk. Apple hasn't dropped floppy reading from OS-X however they have dispensed with the drives.

However, the 800K Macintosh format (also on DSDD diskettes) needs a special floppy drive with a variable speed.

USB/Floppy Drive
    Data Transfer Rate: 250 Kbits (720KB) / 500 Kbits (1.44MB).
    Number of Cylinders: 80.
    Rotation speed: 300 rpm, 360 rpm recording method: MFM.
    Media: High Density (2 HD) or Normal Density (2 DD).
    Acerage Latency Time: 100 MSEC (1.44MB mode) 83.3 MSEC (720KB mode).
    2. Can not Work with OS X El Capitan on a 2015 MacBook Pro.

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    Is this for lossless playback? Redbook may be matching toward outdated, but you're digging WAY back... :D
  • It was a well thought out program that analyzed speaker placement and predicted frequency responses. It was called Visual Ears or The Listening Room and it was easy to use and was really helpful. I used to have people give me the dimensions of their room and then I'd figure out where the best speaker/subwoofer placement should be and then give them the measurements. But I don't have the old Mac to run it any more. I found one data retrieval company that will convert it to a more modern format but they have a $175.00 minimum charge.
  • txcoastal1
    Ouch

• That's what I said.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Is it just the disk that's the problem, or is it the software, too?

Will that piece of software run on your newer Mac if you can just get the disk's contents onto a flash drive?
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • To the best of my knowledge the program works fine the last time I tried. The difficulty is that the 800k double discs require a variable speed player and the correct software to run the player. There's nothing that can be added to a more recent computer that can accomplish this. You have to use an older Mac with the older player. I've a friend (wife's friend actually) who is a certified Mac-tech that is able to look at it.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Just read up on that format. Significantly old machine needed to read that disk!

I've got an ancient iMac with OS old enough to read it, but no drive that's capable of feeding it to the iMac!

I hope your wife's friend is able to put you in business.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0