Chicks and paint.

gwh
gwh Posts: 1,451
Picked up a Mythos 5 set up this morning from a yard sale for $150 and someone has painted over the aluminum finish .... wth?
I'm going to Google it but any advice from fourm members on removing the paint without dulling the aluminum finish would be appreciated I have no clue on the type of paint used and I hope they did not rough up the surface before applying that crap.

G8p78bjuabqu5.jpg
srzbq55m3r9b.jpg
1tftht5nhi4r.jpg

HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It appears they tried to make the sides look like leather. Good luck with that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Previous owner probably got a great deal on black paint.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Polkie2009 wrote: »

Welp, so much for my laptop screen -- festooned with my beverage now, it is.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    It's on the backside.....leave it alone

Festooned.....seriously Mark....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Polkie2009 wrote: »

Welp, so much for my laptop screen -- festooned with my beverage now, it is.

I would have done the same, but then I realized the finish is only a dark charcoal grey... Like the hunt for sasquatch, the search for the fabled "black" paint continues.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    I love this place.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Hope they were nearly free. Either bury them with curtain or in dark room for an HT system.

Or you can lightly sand to try to clean them up, primer them, and then go with a hammered metal look. Other than that....gar---bage
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Hard chrome them that should be cool
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Can try a nice wall paper. Hello Kitty is supposed to be pretty popular.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I mean really Mr. Hardy. Festooned?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mrbiron wrote: »

That's what she said.
    Festooned.....seriously Mark....

I've been trying to alert you peoples for some time now as to who the real troublemakers are !
    ..... yes, it's all starting to become clear now ......

Sal Palooza
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited February 2017
    mrbiron wrote: »

That's what she said.

LOL!!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Hard chrome them that should be cool

:)

PS I'll have you all know I looked up festooned in the dictionary before I foisted it upon this thread. "Decorated". It means decorated. :)

-- and, yes, I did foist "festooned" on you. My work is done here.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Foist or last, Doc.....we're all winners here.
    nyuknyuknyuk
  • mhardy6647
    That was good, that.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2017
    Speaking of hard chromed loudspeakers -- it's always kind of bugged me that the Gale GS401 loudspeakers were actually pretty darned good. I think that even I, aesthetically challenged as I am, would draw the line at having a pair of these in my house (well -- maybe in the basement).

Gale401front-copy.jpg

401.2-400x400.jpg

Just -- eww.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Dang I had my hopes up when clicking on this thread, Chicks and paint had me at Hello.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I have to warn you, Mr. Hardy, keep it up and you'll soon be foisting yourself on your own petard ! :o

Those speakers were very distinctive. Their bookshelfs, the Gale Storms, were aka "My Little Margies".

...... okay, not the best, but it's Sunday after all. It's my weak end.
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2017
    I have to warn you, Mr. Hardy, keep it up and you'll soon be foisting yourself on your own petard ! :o

Those speakers were very distinctive. Their bookshelfs, the Gale Storms, were aka "My Little Margies".

...... okay, not the best, but it's Sunday after all. It's my weak end.

Full point for the first bon mot; half-credit for the second one (which was more of a pun, albeit a pretty darned good one).

:)

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Give them a light sanding then coat them in this:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-11-oz-Black-Rubber-Coating-Spray-11203-6/100131010

You would be amazed by this stuff. Very easy to work with. They might look half decent after.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• A citrus stripper would be the best method that might protect the metal underneath. It would also be the only way to lift paint from a brushed surface without damage.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Back i the Day (t.m.), if we had some doors, etc that were heavily coated with old paint, we'd use a product called BIX stripper.
    If you had a not-delicate, not-expensive piece of wood furniture you needed stripping, BIX would do the job.

Now, I don't have a clue as to how it would interact with metal.
    But carefully and lightly brushed on, it turns into a paste-like substance that is easilly picked off with a putty knife. Wipe the wood down with damp cloth, and voila !

DISCLAIMER: now don't go getting the Marie Antoinette desk out of the attic that you had evaluated on The Antiques Road Show for $150,000 and go slopping on a gallon of BIX.

BIX, Inc ( or whatever they're called) does a lot of paint removal up in NYC in older buildings. Might be worth contacting them. I'd look up the effect of BIX on metals, but I'm lazy.
    P.S. when using BIX, follow directions and wear protective gloves. It will take off fingerprints. o:)
    Sal Palooza
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited February 2017
    Rustoleum aircraft paint remover would take that paint off in just a few minutes if it is polished aluminum underneath. It won't be without mess and the aluminum finish will be bare. Given the quality of the paint job it is unlikely the paint was put on after prepping the surfaces. At least bare aluminum would look better. A new finish like Plasti Dip mentioned above is another option. That is available in dozens of colors including various metallic colors for automotive uses.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Marine/Aircraft stripper (I use a different brand) is designed to remove epoxy paint without damaging the aluminum surface. It would have no problem removing whatever that mess is.

Caution: it is extremely powerful stuff that will burn your skin, so you need to wear heavy duty stripping gloves.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    tonyb wrote: »
    Dang I had my hopes up when clicking on this thread, Chicks and paint had me at Hello.

I was disappointed, too. ;)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    rx42y1oxk84q.png
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    v1koimb2q7yc.jpg
    s67ab50k5byx.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    3610695526_8bb06e318f_z.jpg?zz=1
    Well, probably dye. I hope. If they're not dyed, they probably died. :(