horny?

Options
gatemplin
gatemplin Posts: 1,595
edited October 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Check this out. 12 Altec woofers horn loaded into the wall, me like. I have no idea what the other speakers are, maybe the black horns are also Altec. Pretty awesome listening room I'd say. Found this at HTguide.
M%20salle%20ecoute%202.jpg
Graham
Post edited by gatemplin on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Beautiful! Now I'm horny:D. Do you think the guy is married? LOL I love the way those woofers are part of the room.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Wonder what's behind door #1???

High cool factor there in addition to being practical, howevr, two things immediately strike me as being odd here:

1. The difference in distance of the horns and the woofers... unless electronically compensated for, it would have to create a time incoherence to some degree... No?

2. The toe-in of the horns relative to the listening positions... think I'd be dragging that chair halfway to the horns...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited October 2004
    Options
    The thing that strikes me is that it looks like the chairs are covered to quelch some reflections... but there's a hardwood floor... *scratches head*
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2004
    Options
    am I noticing acoustic hardwood there in the front 2 rows of wood? it looks like they have holes drilled or something. maybe that's the ports for the woofers :-P
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Looks awesome..

I thought they were in a barber shop for some reason!!:confused::confused::confused:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2004
    Options
    That looks pretty awesome to me. I love the way the little cylindrical room in the middle of the wall creates the horns for what y'all seem to be calling woofers.

However, I must wonder. All of y'all seem to like the setup very much, and yet the drivers are all horn-loaded. And yet, I would say most of you don't like Klipsch speakers because they're harsh. Now, am I making a wrong assumption when I assume it's the horns making the sound 'bright' and 'harsh'? Because if it is, how come you guys don't think these horns would produce 'bright' and 'harsh' sounds?

Just kinda curious here.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Well, we like horns because they are very low distortion. They dont have to be harsh although maybe some are(not saying Klipsch are harsh). Also I have heard Altecs which use the same if not similar horns to the ones in the photo.

Those are woofers which will produce bass and some midrange, not subwoofers if that is what you meant. They are Altecs, low Xmax with huge magnets for high efficiency.
    Graham
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Might not like their sound... So what?

Does not diminish the "mega-cool factor" associated with the concept of turning your room into speakers over putting speaker in your room...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    turning your room into speakers over putting speaker in your room...

hahaha! that is pretty cool

I think I get it.

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2004
    Options
    The mid and treble horns appear to be Altec based also. The smaller black ones look like 511s and the larger ones look like 1505s but appear to be made out of wood. Drool. It's hard to tell but I think there are also a pair of JBL bullets flanking each 511.

I can't tell for certain but the older gentleman on the right looks like it might be Bruce Edgar.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    As in "Bruce Edgar's Titan Loudspeaker"...
    quadral.jpg
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Yep. Man those Titans sound good. I almost bought a pair of his Slimlines but by the time I got my checkbook out of the car they were sold:( .
    Make it Funky! :)
  • organ
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Tour made a good point about timing. I didn't think of that. Unless the woofers are tuned pretty low, there could be a problem. I doubt the mains can dig below 60hz. Or maybe the rig is more high tech than we think:).

Audiobliss,
    Did you get to audition the RF-7 before purchasing your RF-35? I plan to get the 7's or something from the Heratige line in the future. But by the time I'm ready to upgrade, I'm sure the 'Reference Premier' line will be out. Now those look fantastic! I love my RF-35's. Not bright at all and dynamic and clean as hell.

Maurice
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2004
    Options
    organ
    I listened to the RF-7s before I got the RF-35s, but I never thought about buying them. Before the RF-35s went on sale because the store decided to no longer sell them, I could only dream of the RF-35s. I'm quite happy to be sittin' where I am. I did, however, really like the RF-7s when I heard them. I was listening to them with a Yamah (idk; one of the really nice ones) receiver, and I did the low-frequency test with them. Amazing.!!!

Reference Premier? Hadn't heard of that....

Good luck on getting some RF-7s; that'd be awesome!!

Also, I recently read that in January you were going to bi-wire your mains. How did that affect the sound?

Thanks!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • organ
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Audiobliss,
    That's cool. My dealer stopped carrying the RF-7 because there wasn't enough demand and in his words: "most wives don't want speakers that big" LOL. But I'm sure they could order some.

Here's a link I posted on the Reference Premier. I guess it won't be too long until they come out because the 2ch guys on the Klipsch forum are getting juiced up on the new line. http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=15528&highlight=reference+premier

I got to bi-wire them with some Monster cable. 16ga for the HF and 12ga for LF. It did sound better, especially the highs. And I *think* low bass improved as well. I know the mids had a cleaner sound and the speakers sounded more open. It was a small improvement from what I can remember.

It's been a while since I bi-wired them because I got some Polk Cobras from Madmax. A single run with them sounds much better than bi-wiring with Monster.

Have you tried playing around with placement and toe-in for your RF's? They're so damn picky. I finally found their best spot after about 8 months.

Maurice
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I think it's a really neat idea to say the least. That gets me is that the room is not only built to be the speaker, but the anechoic wall and ceiling angling is a very consuming process... I also see sound absorbing mats on the enechoic sides facinf forward, and, I beleive he has a odd collection of huge tubes lining the top of those shelves ?!?

It's an impressive peice of work!
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Good eyes... hadn't noticed the shelves-o'-tubes before... a few bucks there.

This 4-1000 POWER AMPLIFIER TUBE sold on eBay last month for $155...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Given how much time these guys have put into it, they my have been in the industry long enough to have collected those and not bought them.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Tru dat... Take my comment as either bucks spent or sales potential...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli