Best pair of FULL (extended bass) range speakers under $1000 or less.

Options
2»

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    @D2Lo If they are anything like the Mythos ST or STS, I bet they would fit the bill.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    I don't think the Mythos are under 1K a for a used pair yet. I should put them on my radar for a listen tho.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I had a good listen to some of these def Techs, AWESOME is all I can say. My friend just sold his dirt bike so he can get some.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »
    pkquat wrote: »

IMO the 1C's and RTA11's do very well for good qualiry sound for the price. Although I am noticing the RTA11's to break up some when pushed.

Its like they become muddy, and overload far easier than a good sub.

Not knocking on them but, to do Deep and loud, you need Big size woofers and lots of excursion.
    This confirms what I thought. The saying "There's no replacement for displacement" fits for speakers too. Finding good tight bass that doesn't lag the upper frequencies is tough, as is sub placement.

D2Lo wrote: »
    ahem, may I suggest:
    Which DT speakers are you referring to? The BP9020 only have an 8" sub. I haven't heard them, so I might be surprised. I have not been a fan of the BP sound in the past. At times they can have what I call that "Bose" room filling sound, that can help liven some recordings, but can also add artifacts.

BP9080x. BTW, Bose? Them's fighting' words :smile:

https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/bp9080x
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Thanks for the links, few things I like....the upgraded crossover parts/ the snap on ability for adding Atmos speakers to the top. Don't like....why do they keep insisting on aluminum dome tweeters ? Some may like them, but I never warmed up to them. All in all though, seems like a lot of speaker for the money.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    It's always bugged me that Definitive doesn't publish -3dB specs. You know darn well those 9080x have nearly zero usable output @16Hz. Years ago I owned a pair of BP30, which had a similar ridiculously optimistic spec'd lower limit. Very Bose like in that regard.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    I have always found DT speakers fatiguing after about 15 mins of realistic volume listening. Could be the aluminum tweeters, or it could just be me. I also disliked the "sock" cover, vs an actual grill. They are well made though, and sport some impressive specs...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    It's always bugged me that Definitive doesn't publish -3dB specs. You know darn well those 9080x have nearly zero usable output @16Hz. Years ago I owned a pair of BP30, which had a similar ridiculously optimistic spec'd lower limit. Very Bose like in that regard.

Polk used to do that also though.

Remember speakers being rated at 16hz-30,000hz.......
  • tonyb
    Options
    Specs mean little to me, other than a general guideline. A quoted spec will have little to do with your own in room response because every room is different. We all don't live in special chambers that these specs are taken from. They will offer you some guidelines as to how a speaker will perform though, in given genre's you may like. Over all, it takes more than speakers to deliver good sound imho anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • D2Lo
    Options
    3rd year in a row Definitive has won the CTA TechHome award for best speaker. I'm not a big awards guy, but winning three years in a row is pretty cool. This year we won for the BP9080x.

rzndslierjd5.jpg
  • D2Lo
    Options
    Hey Skip, I'm the CDO for all of Sound United's brands, product design as well as what we call Brand Design or marketing creative, which is packaging, print ads, video art direction... so if something looks bad its my fault :smile:

The Polk design language aligns to the Polk sonic signature which is very warm, life like, a little more well rounded. So the design language uses warmer tones, woods, even when we do blacks there is wood grain in it. Drivers have warm metallic coatings and metals have warm titanium finishes.

Conversely, the Definitive sonic signage is very bold, strong, and the aluminum tweeters lend a little more coolness to the sound, so the design language is much sharper, more rectilinear, architectural, monolithic and bold.

This is shot of the running inspiration board we have in the studio for Definitive.6kcsmmivl1ha.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Saying that big SDA's get muddy is due to whatever you are driving them with. Get the right amp and the bass rivals just about any sub. Just ask anyone that has heard my rig.

Polk used to publish the overall AND the -3dB frequency specs. Something I wish they would do now.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,332
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Saying that big SDA's get muddy is due to whatever you are driving them with. Get the right amp and the bass rivals just about any sub. Just ask anyone that has heard my rig.
    I have heard his rig and I can attest without question, Jesse's statement is spot on.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Out of all the SDA's I owned I liked the bass from my SDA SRS 2 the best. It went real low.
  • K_M
    Options

Polk used to publish the overall AND the -3dB frequency specs. Something I wish they would do now.

Yes I am quite certain you actually believe that.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Just ask anyone that has heard my rig.

A well tamed "pool" of bass.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options

Yes I am quite certain you actually believe that.

I do.
  • tonyb
    Options
    No way Russ, no way you were around a pool of bass and didn't whip out a fishin' pole. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Options
    Once again she goes down in......cs529h3y8j2k.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• littlewoodboats
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    No way Russ, no way you were around a pool of bass and didn't whip out a fishin' pole. :)

You will be lucky if a fishing pole is all he whips out. I have heard the stories. The horror, my God the horror.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Maybe not in QUANTITY but in deep, musical, quality bass absolutely. Even my little 2B's had a wicked rumble.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • K_M
    Options

Not me, you are the one making grandiose statements.

Rivals ANY subwoofer huh?
    Again, have you heard Just about every subwoofer to make this kinda statement?
  • F1nut
    Options

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I see.

I said,
    ...... the bass rivals just about any sub.

Furthermore, two other folks here backed up what I said and there are other members past and present that would as well. In addition, I've heard any number of other members SDA's powered with nice amps, none need a sub. Conclusion is either you don't have the right amp or you like unnatural bass creating an unbalanced sound, which is fine, but it should be obvious that your thoughts on the matter do not jive with a lot of other SDA owners.

As for grandiose statements, look in the mirror.

One final comment. Please stop trying to one up me as you don't have the wit, intelligence or knowledge to do so.

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    Options

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit I see.

I said,
    ...... the bass rivals just about any sub.

Furthermore, two other folks here backed up what I said and there are other members past and present that would as well. In addition, I've heard any number of other members SDA's powered with nice amps, none need a sub. Conclusion is either you don't have the right amp or you like unnatural bass creating an unbalanced sound, which is fine, but it should be obvious that your thoughts on the matter do not jive with a lot of other SDA owners.

As for grandiose statements, look in the mirror.

One final comment. Please stop trying to one up me as you don't have the wit, intelligence or knowledge to do so.

Well sounds like you are in good company...You got a few guys on the Polk forum to agree with you!

And sounds like you found the best speaker ever made!

I think that say more about SDA owners, than SDA speakers. Figure it out.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options

You don't even know me.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    So hot, it burns mice ! (And yes, I stole that)

anigif_enhanced-buzz-22692-1360640820-1.gif?no-auto
    Sal Palooza
  • K_M
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

You don't even know me.

You took that from a song...... :p
  • jawhog
    jawhog Posts: 444
    Options
    Already mentioned, but I had 11tls for a long time and finally sold them when they just were too big for the room I had them in. I'm not sure anything I've had since has quite captured the magic of what they were able to do.