Rehabbed JTR Triple 8s and stands

A couple of months back, I came across a great deal for a set of JTR Triple 8s to be the LCR for my HT. Since I am doing a dedicated theater and a dedicated 2 channel room, I was looking for something much more dynamic than the LSis I was running in the HT setup.
Don't get me wrong, I love the LSis and most likely will end up keeping the LSi7s for my second set of 2 channel speakers but the JTRs just do everything home theater better.

So enter the JTRs...I have known Jeff for years (owner of JTR...we had done motorcycle track days and racing together for years before I knew about his speaker business) and always admired his products but never admired the cost. Having heard them, I accepted that they were worth it. But I always passed them by when shopping for dedicated theater gear because they were just simply out of the price range I wanted to spend.
And there is a reason...he uses high quality pro and consumer audio drivers and crossover components in his designs and his subs have gone toe to toe with the best in the business. In fact, his 4000 LFU has the highest measured db at 10hz Data-Bass has ever recorded.

Anyway, I came across a fantastic deal on a matching set of 3 Triple 8s and jumped on it. They arrived and were in great shape but the grilles had been mauled in shipping and the textured finish Jeff uses is a bit too glossy for my tastes.

So I went to work stripping the cabinets and coated them with a couple of coats of flat black latex paint. I also replaced the grilles and replaced the t-nuts with hurricane nuts and new screws.

fxlzvcn8udx7.jpg
664qgfng3bdt.jpg

For the stands, I wanted to have a matching set of 3 for when the theater was finished and they would be placed behind the screen. I also wanted the tweeters to be at the same approximate height as the LSi15s.
So off to Lowes to buy some pine and poplar. I also filled them with ~30lbs of dried play sand each so that they are very stable and mostly inert.

iu115dcc825e.jpg
7dc6v69t719s.jpg
c05ppn3vcxh0.jpg
wqpkoa31mp17.jpg
w2z5swdlb6k8.jpg
kvtomehp26h8.jpg
3odg5rmt88vq.jpg

For now, I will be running the set in my living room. They are far more efficient and dynamic than the LSis. They have considerably more impact and the sound stage is every bit as good and as engaging as the LSis. For music, I find them slightly harsh but then I expected that.

Overall, I am very happy with the results and look forward to getting them, along with my 6 DIY Sound Group Volt 8LXs (surrounds), 4 DIY Sound Group Volt 6LXs (Atmos) and 6 Stereo Integrity HT18D2s up and running in the theater when it is completed later this year.

cvv50z5zukvb.jpg

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    OMG FLAT BLACK PAINT!!!! Where did you find such a treasure!

Actually I'm jealous and will have to get out to your finished HT to experience it at some point......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Looks awesome so far. I'd love to hear it when you have everything completed.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I love it! Super nice job B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Soon, my friend......there will be a proper film viewing chamber to let them come to life. B)

See y'all soon, buddy.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Looks good Ryan me and Hannelore just might have to stop by and check out the grand opening of the multiplex once you get it up and running. I hope Russ will show up.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    That looks great! I have to say after owning lsi, I'm done with hard to drive speakers, all the extra amps, interconnects, and space it takes up. I've heard the triple 8's and I was left very impressed (home theater that is). I found them slightly harsh for music as well, but the guy was using emotiva amps to run everything, but for movies they were dynamic as hell.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Did you get rid of the Denon Ryan? It appears like a Marantz took its place.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • EndersShadow
    Bought it off @aboroth00 last year
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • lightman1
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Looks good Ryan me and Hannelore just might have to stop by and check out the grand opening of the multiplex once you get it up and running. I hope Russ will show up.

I'll be in Des Moines at Ryans for a little over a week. February 16 is D-Day.
    It would be good to you both again. ;)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Yeah went from the 4100 to a Marantz 7702.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Man that looks really sharp I like it!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Very Nice
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Looking good Ryan, great work...as usual. The Triple 8's look like a BEAST of a speaker!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    When do we get a glimpse at what is actually happening with the room?
    Inquiring general contractors who are planning on building their own home are more than curious ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • lightman1
    mrbiron wrote: »
    When do we get a glimpse at what is actually happening with the room?
    Inquiring general contractors who are planning on building their own home are more than curious ;)

Put a sock in it, Fred. It seems that I have been forced into a soft form of "Build out my basement".
    They feed me well. If you can provide the same......I'm more than obliged.
  • ZLTFUL
    LOL. Yeah, I have been taking pics and working on a build log that will eventually turn into a build thread for the whole basement.

• EndersShadow
    Does it include a section of swearing in regards to moving a server heheheh...
  • ZLTFUL
    No comment.