Thinking of ditching the home theater.

Options
13»

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Long time no see Phil. Good to see you posting again.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I find both my HT & 2 channel to be quite enjoyable. I can't see myself ditching one over the other. Both formats get quite a workout & are enjoyed on a daily basis.

Dang Phil...all this happiness and sunshine, can't you be grumpy about somethin', like the rest of us ? :)

Hey Tony...those days of arguing about cables, amps, tubes vs SS, power cables, etc., etc. are long over. I'm now quite satisfied in kicking back & enjoying my dual systems & how well they both perform...of course the knowledge I've gathered over the years as a Polkie member was instrumental in assembling my systems. I'll leave the arguing to the newbies & Jesse. Lol!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Long time no see Phil. Good to see you posting again.

Hi Cathy...still here just a bit more mellow now. Old age kicking in I guess.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I find as my hearing diminishes (legally deaf sans hearing aids), I prefer HT as the loudness immerses me versus critical listening of 2chan.

It's a sad story for another day....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    Oh. Youch. I had no idea and I am so sorry to hear that.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    What?

:p
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    :) Glad to see you can laugh about it, sir.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Thought I would update this guy, I am keeping my subs, and front stage. Lsi are sold, amp is sold, and I'm going to sell my marantz pre. I picked up a nice little ( not so little) pure class A integrated to hold me off for now. Going to pick up a receiver, and pocket the extra cash. And after my trip next month will invest in focal aria surrounds or bookshelves to match my fronts. These are easy to drive, so a receiver will do them justice. (Thinking pioneer again).

I just can't part with these big bad **** PB ultras.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I know what you are saying about buying movies, and watching once. I try and rationalize that I will watch a movie more than once when I buy it, but many times that doesn't happen. I even have over a hundred unwrapped Blue Rays that need to be watched. And I am now finding myself buying the 4K UHD version of the unwatched BR. LOL.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I love buying movies, I have about 500 blu rays, and dozens still in wrapping. At 5-8 bucks a pop you can't go wrong.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sounds like someone's not into buying movies. Why spend $85 bucks to take that clamoring clutch of Hatchlings, your significant other and yourself to the theatre when you can watch the Bluray in UHD or 3D and save yourself $55 as that disc only cost you $30 plus the popcorn and beverages are a lot cheaper?

If the significant other, yourself and the clamoring clutch of hatchlings deem the Blu ray not worthy of a second viewing, and instead of adding it to your collection pass it on to other family members or friends and let them get some enjoyment out of it. Your still up $50 bucks or more.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mikeyb128
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Although I'm downsizing my theater for now... as it doesn't fit my lifestyle at the moment, my system sounded much better than any theater, I would say it was more on par with the IMAX. I would take that any day over the high priced movie theater with crowds of annoying people everywhere, especially the clamoring clutch of hatchlings. Not to mention I can pause the movie to pee, and drink all the beer I want.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    The problem with drinking all the beer I want when watching a movie is having to listen to the wife say, what your pausing the movie again so you can go pee last time I watch a movie with you, depending how long the movie is and how many beers I've had it can happen a time or two :(
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Alright, here's where my downgrading got me. I did keep the theater in the end. But I did downsize. Picked up a new SC 85, a focal aria center (open box), a used oppo bdp 93, and a new pair of focal aria 705's for surround duty. I got a smokin deal on everything, and I have to say, it sounds really good! It's been about 6 years since I've used a receiver under its own power, I've always had separates. I'm liking it actually, these elite receivers mean business, it runs these focals effortlessly.

r5nerx6vkc7n.jpg

I did keep both PB ultras. Just couldn't do it.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Hey Mike, check this out. $400 USD off

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/focal-aria-905-black
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Oops I wrote 705, meant 905... I got mine in the black piano finish for 700 plus taxes. Canadian funds of course. I bought a demo pair, and the shop in Ontario sent me new in box for the price of the demo pair!

Thanks for the link by the way. Great price!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Are you wall mounting them? Got any pictures yet? B)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Not wall mounting, just on some book shelf cases in the back of the room. I will take some pics tomorrow. Have hit the hay here soon.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    edited February 2017
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I think think I think would hazard to say that if none had a budget restriction or space restriction, it would likely be both.
    That's where I stand, 2ch first. Leftovers for ht.
    Joey, what about the fella with the crazy expensive Rockport theater? Do you think that is a dual system....Or maybe with that kind of money they will have a crazy 2 channel room also? The music/theater compromise for the wealthy! Damn!
    http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7501-Seaton-Submersives-amp-Rockport-Arrakis-amp-Mira-Grands

382422_10151073670369208_369150600_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=4952246236c6ba00ba06d593060e5e85&oe=59412EEE

That guy is near me, I think he's getting a divorce so he has to sell the gear. It's crazy. That's a dual system at its finest.

Whole 'nother level man... We are but peasants.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Alright, here's where my downgrading got me. I did keep the theater in the end. But I did downsize. Picked up a new SC 85, a focal aria center (open box), a used oppo bdp 93, and a new pair of focal aria 705's for surround duty. I got a smokin deal on everything, and I have to say, it sounds really good! It's been about 6 years since I've used a receiver under its own power, I've always had separates. I'm liking it actually, these elite receivers mean business, it runs these focals effortlessly.

Nice!

My SC-87 drives my 806V's really well. They just do such a good job at HT and music, awesome dual purpose system.

I want to get my ears on those Arias, but the 2ch system is going to be my focus for the next couple of "upgrades".
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Nice!

My SC-87 drives my 806V's really well. They just do such a good job at HT and music, awesome dual purpose system.

I want to get my ears on those Arias, but the 2ch system is going to be my focus for the next couple of "upgrades".

I had a mix of focal and Polk lsi, and now that everything is focal Aria it sounds very good, definitely exciting for home theater. And 5 channels is working really well in my room.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    l9liwpsnk1t6.jpg
    uju8l0ckip7f.jpg

2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    0htv2olbj26c.jpg
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    edited March 2017
    Options
    These little bookies are fantastic! Please excuse the dust on the back shelf. So dry and dusty here.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    Mikey,

I like your set up
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound