Replacement 6 1/2" drivers MW7202 (RTi-70 mids)

Options
These are the blue-cone mid drivers for some RTi series speakers, in my case RTi-70's. Looks like they are long since gone from everybody's stock. Any suggestions for replacement drivers?

Best Answer

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Check eBay.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• William Ross
    Options
    Thanks F1nut. I got the replacement driver from an eBay seller yesterday;which solved that problem - but the same driver in the other speaker has some distortion issues. Also one of the tweeters is suspect, and both of them sound pretty harsh. I will probably wind up parting these out; it's a shame because the cabinets are in great shape.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Without knowing the history of your speakers, if you have owned them from new or bought them used in good working condition and all these failures are recent I'd suggest you look at what you're driving them with as well as the level you are playing them at. Perhaps you'd care to shed some light on this.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• William Ross
    Options
    F1nut sorry for the delayed response. To answer your question, these were bought used and the problems were definitely preexisting. I've only played them for a few minutes using a quality receiver at low volumes.
    The driver I initially replaced is toast, but the second one might be repairable. The coil has parted from the spider. Resistance (measured at the speaker terminals) matches the eBay driver (which is fine) so maybe there's hope. I'm going to try to fix it with some slow cure CA.
    If that doesn't work, I may pick up a pair of RT35i's (under $75 used) which appear to have very similar drivers (MW7200 in the RT35i's; the RTi70's use MW7202). I might just pick those up and swap components with the RTi70's. That would also tell me if there is a problem with the tweeters or if they are just naturally harsh.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Those drivers will have different specs. You'll need to find the proper drivers.

That series is inherently bright, which works for HT, but not so much has for music.

President of Club Polk