Emotiva xpa-1 vs Parasound a21 for Rti A9

Options
I read on this forum that parasound and Rti speakers make a good pair. I'm trying to find an a21 with no success. Could get a pair of xpa-1 for the same price. I guess parasound make better amps, but monoblocks from Emotiva could at least sound close to a parasound a21? I also read that more power almost don't increase the db, so id like to know if there's another benefit to have more power than have more db. Thank you.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    First off, welcome to the forum. When you add an amp to your system it is not to go louder. It's for better dynamics, better hits on the bass notes and possibly a less fatiguing top end....if matched up right with the rest of the gear. Parasound and B&k amps work well with Polk speakers and are the most we usually suggest. They also happen to be the best budget amps on the used markets. There are of course other brands too, but those 2 are going to be your least expensive. McCormack amps would work well too. Think of it like a garden hose, without an amp your thumb is over the end of the hose, with an amp your thumb is removed.

Also don't forget cabling. Beside the speaker cables, you need 2 RCA interconnects to hook up an amp providing your receiver has the preouts to do so. Don't go with Walmart stuff, get your cabling from brands that work well with Polk Speakers too. Audioquest, Morrow, Kimber are just a few, or you can go higher up the food chain to brands like MIT, Acoustic Zen, Harmonic Tech, Wireworld, and so on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Agreed with @tonyb

Parasound seems to be popular in these parts. I have heard them on my system and I feel like they do give some warmth while keeping things dynamic and not sluggish. I don't have experience with Emotivas but their reputation is somewhat ehh.

With regards to cabling... you choose your poison. I'm an AQ fan so you can climb the ladder there or just get some good solid AZ.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    The XPA-1's are awesome, but I can't speak for the other Emotiva amps. I currently use a pair with Polk lsim705's and previously with the a9 (rti12). They are crystal clear, provide powerful but refined low end, with just a touch of sparkle on the top. I have been using mine for two years and have not been disappointed with their performance in any way. The class A mode is also a nice addition, although with the rti12 and avr frontend I couldn't hear much difference. The lsim 705 and Emotiva pre-amp in the mix the 60 watt class A is beautiful with both my digital and analog sources.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • joblo
    joblo Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advices!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Audio Advisor has the A21 and there's a used one on Amazon. That's as far as I looked.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    If this is for 2 channel there's a Musical Fidelity A308 integrated amp for sale here that'll blow your sack back. If you're looking for HT use there's a Musical Fidelity A308 power amp on eBay.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    Hey...you stole my line Jess. LMAO

Agreed about the 308 though, nice piece for the coin.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    I do not own those exact models, but I do own an Emotiva XPA-2, gen 2 and a Parasound 2250 V2. My Emotiva is definitely on the bright side. My Parasound is pretty neutral and much more natural sounding. I found myself backing off on the high midrange/treble with the Emotiva, but I have been content with the tone defeat in its proper place with the Parasound. Just my opinion, but I am very sensitive to bright speakers and there will never be Klipsch in my house :)
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited January 2017
    Options
    All else being equal my ATI stereo amp is "brighter" than my XPA-1 Gen2's. Now I will say that the XPA-1's are very transparent and easily showcase the sound characteristics of various sources, pre-amps, and cables. If you find the XPA-1's a little rich on top, they will respond well to warmer cables and such. Contrary to Emotiva's reputation around here I initially found my lsim705's top end a little rolled off on the Emotiva, and tried a couple of different cables until it was more my flavor. Additionally, the XPA-1's actually did a fantastic job taming the highs of the rti12's/a9's.

Realize though my experience may not be yours, as our ears and room acoustics, as well as associated gear may be much different. Also consider how much floor space the big monoblocks consume and how it may place your speakers in locations that are not ideal, not to mention having each plugged into a separate outlet. The implementation of the Parasound my be much easier, and allow for optimal positioning of your a9's, which can have a greater impact than choice of amps.
    Post edited by jeremymarcinko on
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • joblo
    Options
    Thanks again for your suggestions. Keep trying to find a parasound a21 but here in Canada its hard to find because they stopped selling them here a couples of years ago. And most of them available only ship in US. Ill take a look at the A308. But id prefer buying amps that are in the used Canadian market to save the custom fees that are around 20%, the extra 35% because a canadian dollar is worth .74$ right now and the shipping charges that are twice the cost, which represent 70$ more for something that weight 70 pounds.

Here in Canada theres alot of Bryston on the market. A parasound a21 sells for around 2000$CAN while the bryston 4B STT sells for about the same price. Many like to compare them with parasounds on some forums saying that they prefer the a21 because they are almost half the price. I guess its because Canadian amps are cheaper in Canada and the same apply for US amps in United States. Anyone know if the brystons could fit well with rti's?

Is there any way to predict if a speaker-amp pairing is good without hearing it? For exemple, some amps give very clear highs, warm mids etc... what those rti likes to have?

BTW i really appreciate the time you guys take to help me when you don't have to.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    From my research, you can't go wrong with bryston amps either.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Or look for the older HCA series of Parasound amps, slightly warmer than the Halo's imho and they run on the used markets around 4-600 bucks. Click on some audio shops up there in Canada, some will have used or demo gear for sale in their drop down menu's online.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Or look for the older HCA series of Parasound amps, slightly warmer than the Halo's imho and they run on the used markets around 4-600 bucks. Click on some audio shops up there in Canada, some will have used or demo gear for sale in their drop down menu's online.

Yep this right here.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.
  • joblo
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions ill take a look :)