What is this gear ?

Options
Okay, so I'm searching for the movie "The Trial" on line, and came across this clip on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t_-xdHDbeA

In Anthony Perkins' apartment, at about the 50 second mark, there's a shot of his little stereo setup, and it's been driving me nuts trying to figure out what models the components are (Yeah, I know, "Well, that's a short trip !" B) ).

Here's a screen capture of what I'm referring to:

as34xgw27izy.jpg

At first I thought, hmm, those look like some early Advent grills but then I looked at the Bose-looking, triangular satellite smaller speakers and got to wondering: Huh ?

Anybody have a clue ?
And while I'm at it, for extra bonus points, what about the receiver and TT ?

DISCLAIMER: Bonus points are not redeemable for anything of financial value. My neighbor lady will appreciate some answers, though. My responding to her inquiry of "Hey, you're up early ! How's it going ?" with "SHUT UP ! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M CONDUCTING RESEARCH HERE ? seem as if ..... well .... I'm not sure, but she may have been crying as she ran back into her house. :o

NOTE TO SELF: Don't conduct research with the laptop on the back patio

Sal Palooza

Best Answers

• onearmrog
    onearmrog Posts: 16
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Looks like AR speakers a Newcomb amplifier and Gerrard turntable.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,271
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm going to accept your answer, onearmrog. I don't know if it's right, but it's better than my guess. :D

BTW, welcome to the "Let Us Help You Spend Your Money" forum. :D

P.S. Cables matter.
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited January 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    Definitely a Garrard, like this Type A (which is actually a changer), perhaps?

089.jpg
    source www.alliedcatalogs.com (1961)

Not sure about the amplifier -- certainly willing to believe it's a Newcomb.

Haven't really thought about the speakers yet.

Is this movie "The Trial" some sort of adaptation of Franz Kafka's novel of the same name?

Answers

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    You may be right onearmrog, at least on the Newcomb amp, didn't some of those come with the record player on top? Might have to call in the expert, DocH on this one.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    My first thought was Garrard turntable
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    That TT, the more I looked at it reminded me of a distant cousin who had that very TT way back in the day. She was an Elvis Presley freak enthusiast who had every pressing of Presley vinyl ever made.

The amplifier is definitely NOT a Heathkit (I'll emphasize that I know it's NOT) but every time I look at it the name "Heathkit" pops up. I'm not sure why that is.

You're correct that "The Trial" was based on Kafka's work. It basically involves some poor schlep (Tony Perkins) who gets arrested and doesn't have a clue what he was arrested for. Good movie.
    I think I was looking that movie up because the issue of "rendition" was of interest at the time and ...... I'll just leave it at that. o:)
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Nope, definitely not a Heathkit. I have a rather embarrassingly large collection of 1950s/60s Heathkit catalogs, so I am pretty "up" on their hardware of the general era.

If (?!!) one is suitably motivated/bored, it might (??!) be worth plowing through advertisements & editorial content of back issues of Audio and High Fidelity magazines available from the phenomenal resource at www.americanradiohistory.com in search of the precise amplifier model (assuming, of course, it's a 'real' amplifier and not just a prop deliberately disguised for the movie).