My most recent DIY speaker builds.

From left to right Solstice from Parts Express, Zaph Audio SR-71 from Madisound, and XLS Encore from GR Research.
The Solstice was a knock down cabinet kit, I had to assemble the Cross-overs and used ClarityCap for the highs and Mills resistors instead of the supplied Dayton. Finished with red oak Veneer and Briwax teak furniture wax. The front baffles are done in a piano black.
I built the cabinets for the SR-71's, actually the ones the XLS Encore are in first and then had a bunch of MDF left over and wanted to build something different. So I built the multi faceted front baffle cabinets and did a piano black finish on them.
I had the XLS encore in another project which I gutted and then just put them in the old SR-71 cabinets.
These kits are a real value for anyone with experience woodworking, they are a great way of getting excellent speakers that would cost way more than the initial build cost.

DSC03054_zpsmidsxmkz.jpg
P1020885_zpskksldcnj.jpg

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Good job man! Very rewarding projects.
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    Thanks, yes they are. Everyone that has listened to them has been thoroughly impressed. They use all Seas drivers, the Solstice use all Morel and the XLS use Peerless. here are some more pics.

24464779032_5e51b27193_z_zpsanijwmtz.jpg
    P1000161_zpspebcq7gs.jpg
    P1000145_zpsmzqnutfg.jpg
    P1000132_zpspfjcptqh.jpg
    P1000127_zpsxbnejzgq.jpg
    P1020852_zps6ynpprm0.jpg
    P1020835_zpso0x3socz.jpg
    P1020837_zpsffzn3bcn.jpg
    P1020856_zpseckee1g1.jpg
    DSC03101_zps4bxzef76.jpg
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Sweet!
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Nice work!

What did you use for the gloss black?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Very nice work indeed zarrdoss, would love to get my ears on all of them.
  • zarrdoss
    edited November 2016
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nice work!

What did you use for the gloss black?

Thanks, Its a real pain, I used Zinsser shellac primer to cover the raw MDF then sand spot putty more primer more sanding then Rust-Oleum black lacquer and clear. Then wet sand with 1000 grit then 2000 grit. Then used tuttle wax heavy rubbing compound and a buffer in a drill then medium compound then polish and then a final hand polish. A real pain but worth it in the end. The XLS are the same process but just to black paint.
  • zarrdoss
    Very nice work indeed zarrdoss, would love to get my ears on all of them.

Thanks, They all have thoroughly impressed the hell out of me. Especially the Solstice, some of the best speakers I have heard period. They dig deep too, I have not needed a sub with them. The SR-71's are no slouch either, get really low for a bookshelf into the mid 30's. The XLS Encore are just a wonder that a kit that costs less than 200 bucks with assembled cross overs can sound so good.
    I have probably bought my last brand name speakers, well my last anything for a while, This DIY hobby is very addicting.
  • Nice to see someone else here into building! Very addictive.

I've had more fun (and learned SO much more) designing & building (and spent less $$) than I ever could have buying commercial speakers.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Beautiful work, I am always tempted to try building some, I haven't since college, and you can imagine the results from those days. Sounded pretty good considering, but looked like hell!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Very nice Kevin... love it..
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Room treatments! Something a lot of folks here could use. Nice!
  • zarrdoss
    Thanks for the likes and comments. I accidentally deleted this, its the first picture first post.
    Yes room treatments, I was never a believer until I tried them, now cant imagine going back. It would be like going back to using my receiver to power my speakers instead of a separate amp.

DSC03054_zpsdi1sej8m.jpg
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Very, very nice! Great work!
  • I built a pair of Soltices too, and friends are all impressed. But, I've got to stuff that port hole in the rear, because I think they are a big 'one notey' on the bass. I veneered with waterfall bubinga and they look gorgeos - although I'm still rubbing on Tung oil.
  • zarrdoss
    Pics? I haven't noticed anything but smooth accurate bass from mine. They do dig surprisingly deep though. Do you have them too close to the rear wall? I have mine pulled out about 18" from the rear wall. I had them closer but bass was too much. I don't feel the need for a sub with these.