Bass and Treble controls

michael_w
michael_w Posts: 2,813
edited October 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Is there a technical way to adjust the bass and treble controls on my 2 ch system or do you just fiddle untill you like it? I'm running a nad c352 along with lsi7's and an athena sub. For the most part I just use the button that skips the tone controls completely but I'm wondering if there is a spify way to callibrate to sound better. Thanks for any ideas and info.
Post edited by michael_w on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2004
    What are bass and treble controls? I can't find them on any of my preamps.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • michael_w
    edited October 2004
    These are not from the exact model of my integrated amp but it has basically the same knobs. Hope that clears it up a little.....

edit.... argh pic didnt show
  • michael_w
    edited October 2004
    hope it works this time......
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    edited October 2004
    Just keep that little button pushed in and all will be well.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited October 2004
    "Just keep that little button pushed in and all will be well."

Yep...tone addiction is tough beat but it looks like you're well on your way to recovery!
  • michael_w
    edited October 2004
    Lol ok thanks for clearing that up for me.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Effin' purists. the lot of you... :)

michael,

It's all up to what your ears tell you... Pushing in that lil' button does not guarantee what you will hear on your system in your room at your listening position is a "flat" frequency response.

Tweaking the sound of your system through judicious use of the tone controls may be necessary to compensate for room acoustics, electronics, source material or even, dare I say, your speakers... It's what the tone controls are there to do, or at least attempt to do.

Often tone controls are abused. Most common is jacking up the bass to get the window rattling impact of rap bass lines or heavy metal. Again nothing wrong with this, if it pleases the listener, but nothing is free and adding excessive bass increases the demands on the amp and can start breaking gear.

So tweak away, but be sensible and attentive.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    So tweak away, but be sensible and attentive.

Lol....oops

I just had a friend over today and while Mom was away, we turned my system WAY up!! Had my RX-V1400 up to about -8 with the bass all the way up and the treble all the way down. We had the woofers on my Klipsch RF-35s MOVIN'!! I mean, the travel must have been pretty close to an inch!! I love towers....

Just as a qualifier, I'm not at all advocating listening to music like this; we were just testing the equipment. :D Sometimes I really enjoy gettin' the floor to shakin' under my feet. :D:D:D:D

I usually run it on 'Bypass'.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2004
    The bass/treble control on my NAD C160 pre looks exactly like yours. I bypass mine but if there's a bad recording, I'll adjust. According to NAD, the bass and treble knobs work on the most extreme highs for treble and lows for bass in order to keep the mids pure.

Maurice
  • michael_w
    edited October 2004
    Thanks again for all the replies. Now I know that its just fiddle till it sounds good. As for audiobliss .... when I turn my bass way up like that I find that it doesn't sound overpoweringly bassy it just makes it sound all muddy and crappy, although I know the feeling of being home alone and just having fun shaking the walls (I do it myself quite a bit). Thanks!

Michael
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    Just as a qualifier, I'm not at all advocating listening to music like this; we were just testing the equipment. :D Sometimes I really enjoy gettin' the floor to shakin' under my feet. :D:D:D:D
    Don't puss out on these things.......ENCOURAGE people to give their systems a workout.

Not only do I want to enjoy the workout of my system......I want my neighbors to enjoy it as well....... :D
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2004
    My rig gets worked alot. That way I don't have to dust the drivers...;)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Somehow I knew that would be the case anthony... :)
    Originally posted by michael_w
    .... when I turn my bass way up like that I find that it doesn't sound overpoweringly bassy it just makes it sound all muddy and crappy, although I know the feeling of being home alone and just having fun shaking the walls (I do it myself quite a bit). Thanks!

Michael
    I'd put this in the "abuse" category I mentioned... but if it floats your boat...

Do be careful though as increasing the bass demands increases the power demands and you move ever closer to the dreaded land of Clipping...

You play... Your tweeters pay..
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • michael_w
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Somehow I knew that would be the case anthony... :)
    I'd put this in the "abuse" category I mentioned... but if it floats your boat...

Do be careful though as increasing the bass demands increases the power demands and you move ever closer to the dreaded land of Clipping...

You play... Your tweeters pay..

Yeah I don't do that for the simple reason that when I jack the bass it sounds like crap. My integrated amp also has a little switch that I can flick on called soft clipping. It limits the output of the amp so that it stops itself from clipping (may still a little but cuts down on it hugely) but that never seems to be a problem because I never get past 11 o'clock with tone controls flat.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited October 2004
    I can put my bass on -12 and still knock pictures off the walls. Eff going in the +

Whatever floats yall boats I suppose :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.