Cutting the cord opinions - Phase 2

Options
OK, so now that I've managed to basically chop my Optimum bill in half by going with DirecTV, I've been wondering about also doing away with Optimum Voice for my telephone
service as well. I have 2 lines, one for personal and one for business, but they are both VOIP lines and use the existing RG6 cable and modem. But the cost of both lines is about $35/month, and I've been thinking about trying a MagicJack. So my question is, does anyone here use MagicJack (or something like it), and are there any shortcomings about them that reviews don't tell you? It seems too good to be true, from what I've seen BestBuy has it for $39.99 which includes your first year, and it's $35/year thereafter.

Any and all opinions welcome, thanks.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• Paradoxex
    Options
    I've used Ooma for the past year and a half. It's a similar setup - ~$100 to set up and then $3-$5 a month in taxes. Service depends on your internet connection, but my wife and I have used it to work from home with no complaints. You can always test it out before porting your number.

We've found it simple to set up and easy to use, as long as you don't need to call people when the power is out.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    +1 on the Ooma. I've had it for about 5 years now.
    I have the premium plan which adds $100/year for features the wife & I want & need, but for a basic system there's no need to get that.
    Excellent voice quality & reliability.