Proper Fuse for 5Jr's?

rharrison
rharrison Posts: 2
edited October 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Looks like the place to post this question. Couldn't find the answer on the vintage specs sheet at Polk.com. But, don't lambast me too much - my wife always tells me I'm terrible at finding things...

SO: what are the specs for the fuses that sit in the terminal cups for my newly acquired 5Jr's? They came with one missing, and the other was a 32V 20amp fuse. I'm a civil engineer, not an EE >>> But, I'm pretty sure that a 32V20AGC fuse is way off from spec.

I've attached a photo. Any thoughts on these things?

I paid $56 for them, plus about $17 in shipping.

Haven't heard them yet. I want to put in the proper fuses first. I'm itching, though. Any help thrown my way would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks.
Post edited by rharrison on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2004
    When I got my 5jr's from a thrift store, they had 250v AGC1A fuses in them. Both were blown and I replaced them with the same as what came out of them. But mine could've been wrong, too. In addition, the tweeters were blown, but I sold them to hotwheelman and he was able to fix them.

Enjoy your 5jr's, I know I did (and still do!).
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • rharrison
    rharrison Posts: 2
    edited October 2004
    Thanks for the info.

One of the previous threads regarding SDA's listed some specs for a 3/4Amp 4.5Volt fuse. The tweeters were a different model, though.

That sounds like it's getting close to spec.

I'd rather use an undersized fuse, at this point.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    The "speed" of the fuse is very important. Not positive, but I do not believe that the voltage is a critical parameter...

Ones in my Mon 10's (different tweeter... mine are Peerless; yours are SL1000's) are 1 amp 250V fast blows. The manual calls for a 1 amp fast blow; it does not specify a voltage.

Call Ken S. and request a copy of the Owner's Manual.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2004
    Yeah, that was the other thing I forgot to mention.... Mine are fast-blow fuses.
    Ludicrous gibs!