Review Of SVS SB-NSD-12

cfrizz
cfrizz Posts: 13,415
I received this on Wednesday afternoon and put it into the system. I used the LFE connector and set the gain dial half way as suggested by SVS.

I started out gently by playing it with music for the rest of the week. I had to turn down the volume on my Polk since I had it up to compensate for only having one sub.

It is very subtle with music, and unless a very bass heavy song comes on, you almost wonder if it was playing, but it was working just fine.

Well last night I decided it was time to really give it a workout with some action movies.

First up was the first Ironman. When the first big explosion came I jumped when it went off! When he came stomping out of the cave, I felt every stomp, in the final battle and they took off for the sky, I felt the blast off vibrations through the floor and my chest! :o:D

Next up was Skyfall. Hearing the train rumbling towards and crashing through the wall nearly made my ears pop, and all the explosions with the car & house were spectacular. Though I'm still devastated about losing Judi Dench as M :'( I will say they honored her nicely with a terrific sendoff.

This morning I put on my system, and I can honestly say the bass for music is no longer subtle! :o:D I guess the sub has now been broken in. LOL! I'm going to work it even more today with The Avengers, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and any other of my adventure movies that strike my fancy.

I'm delighted to have a second sub back into my system and having everything leveled out as far as the bass goes.
Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Good for you Cathy...glad to hear you're enjoying the svs!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Congrats and enjoy the new sub Cathy.
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    Congrats - I have the PB-10 NSD from SVS - love it - enjoy your new toy.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    . Congrats Cathy this means you won't get invited to any Christmas parties in your apartment building....you know that right ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Yeah Tony I know, they're all jealous! But then again, I won't be inviting any of them to hear my terrific system.

I can't wait to get the S60s, but now I'm starting of thinking of getting a Blu ray player.

$hit upgradeitis seems to have struck. But I'm determined to get the speakers first, then maybe see if anyone on here is interested in parting with their Oppo.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Congrats on owning a great sub! I've been an svs fan for years... I've had about six roll through my house. I remember when I ordered 2 pb ultras, hooked them up and blasted a movie... I was like... that's it?!! After about a week of play they opened right up, this has been my experience with all svs subs, those drivers take some time to "loosen up". I also find people perceive the clean bass of these subs as a lack of bass because they are used to what I call noise makers. Entry level subs make a bunch of noise, all svs subs are clean, deep and have great impact. I
    Promise you they get better with more time on them.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Cathy, don't forget to post in the official svs owners thread. Welcome to the club