Look what Ups brought

Options
....and unlike Kevin, in promo condition.
hzuph5vcaat3.jpg
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Only thing is....I can't figure out where to slide in the pizza.

zbt1bgpq275a.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Bob packed this puppy to the hilt. This pre is also in like new condition.

ik04anu9tuok.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Pizza goes on the top bro get with the program....lol
    that is very nice Tony. So changing the old name to "tubeTony" ?

what tubes does it take? from the looks seems like 12ax-au maybe any 6sn7?
  • tonyb
    Options
    Mr. Bob Wagner , can't give the man enough accolades. A true gentleman and audiophile. He obviously went to extremes to clean this unit and pack accordingly. Much good karma is coming your way Bob. Thank you so very much and Merry Christmas to you and yours. Before anyone asks.....she's warming up right now.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    New toys are the best! That is a fine piece of pre. New system or putting it in the existing?
    I like pepperoni and extra cheese on mine.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Zawzige Peppas and Unyuns for me
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    Options
    I figure if I put a pizza stone on top....I might be in business. lol

For right now, I disconnected the receiver so I can have a direct path. Sonos to Cary dac, AP Crystal oval cables to the pre, AZ Matrix 2's to the Butler amp which sports 6SN7GT's. AZ Satori's to the Legacys.

Haven't figured out yet how to incorporate it into the HT. I can run another set of IC's from the front left and right preouts from the receiver to the pre, but I dunno what effect HT sounds would have on the tubes. Maybe I can have AZ make me some Y connectors to put on the amp and run 2 sets of IC's into that, one for the receiver and one for the pre. Any other ideas....which route would be better, worse ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Come on Tony we need a review, I mean you've had it a couple hours now..........atleast some initial impressions.

Finally, get to bust your balls about a new piece of gear :D .

I'm sure I've got some tubes here for you too! >:)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I figure if I put a pizza stone on top....I might be in business. lol

For right now, I disconnected the receiver so I can have a direct path. Sonos to Cary dac, AP Crystal oval cables to the pre, AZ Matrix 2's to the Butler amp which sports 6SN7GT's. AZ Satori's to the Legacys.

Haven't figured out yet how to incorporate it into the HT. I can run another set of IC's from the front left and right preouts from the receiver to the pre, but I dunno what effect HT sounds would have on the tubes. Maybe I can have AZ make me some Y connectors to put on the amp and run 2 sets of IC's into that, one for the receiver and one for the pre. Any other ideas....which route would be better, worse ?

Don't use it for HT, Y-splitters usually aren't a good idea if you looking for supreme playback quality. If there's no HT bypass, then not sure how to integrate it w/o some sort of small compromise.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    I run my AVR preouts to an input on my tube preamp then have a certain spot on the tube preamp volume dial that matches the rest of the speakers, only catch with that is you're putting hours on your tubes for HT duty too.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    Options
    I'm not worried about the hours on the tubes for HT use. Normally it's a movie every few months for 2 hours anyway. I usually might have a football game or something using the receiver way more often. It is however a line only pre, no volume control to speak of so I'm stuck using the crappy volume control on the Sonos. My goal too, was to remove the receiver from 2 channel all together. Looks like adding the additional interconnects to the pre may be the way to go for HT use.

Touché Brock, lol.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Congrats Tony...looks great!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Is it just a pizza joint or do you make gravy here also?

Nice pre. I know I'm liking mine alot, and, yes, Bob did an incredible job packing the one he sent me.
  • heiney9
    Options
    So does "Bob" have anymore of these? Lol
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Who is Bob and why does he have so many Joules?

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I did find a loose screw right out of the sealed factory box..... come on Cary

mww1y9xvb4to.jpg

But this is a nice looking piece....

t8bd6iypeqtc.jpg

I only have one more joule in the house and its a keeper for sure.

Happy you are happy Tony.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Merry Christmas to yourself Tony, I love the merry Christmas to me packages as they are awesome. That is a sweet looking/sounding preamp and should keep you happy for many moons Tony!
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Hey Wagner you should give Steve Witec a call from Cary and they will get that taken care of for you. He will get back with you Monday as its only the accounting depart,eat coming in today so it would be Monday to get your part. The reason I know this is that I have been on the phone with them as I just destroyed my SLP 05 on Wednesday and have been back and forth for advice. Was planning to keep that quiet lol.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Dare I ask....how the heck do you destroy a nice pre amp like the Cary SLP-05 ?

One screw eh Bob....not too bad but considering what that piece cost, I might be a tad upset myself.

Will do some listening tonight on the Joule and put up some thoughts tomorrow. Unlike others I know....cough....Joey.....cough.... Brock....cough.. PFB. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I do believe this is the first "new" major piece of equipment you have bought since I joined this place.

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nice piece Tony. You may need to upgrade your cabling too!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    Very nice pre, Tony.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I do believe this is the first "new" major piece of equipment you have bought since I joined this place.
    Nightfall wrote: »

No, not really. Sometimes I audition pieces, then make a decision. Lately it's been a battle to improve the HT side or 2 channel, and since the HT side gets less and less use, the decision was easily made. I don't always comment on stuff I try, especially if it's a dog and I don't want to offend anyone who may have it. Sadly enough, the only pieces I have bought in the last 5 years have been the Cary dac, Sonos, and a variety of cables. The speakers are staying. Down the road a dedicated audiophile grade music server is now top priority. Vinyl days are behind me, as well as spinning cd's.

I know what my ears like, and more importantly what my wallet can afford, and those 2 usually don't match up very well. I'm sure many around here have that problem also. I won't waste money on stuff I know are borderline for me just for the sake of getting something shiny and new. Finding a decent 2 channel tubed pre on the cheap is harder than it sounds. Actually, above "decent", only because I've been spoiled, soiled, and sheet faced. ;)

The missing piece for me has always been a dedicated tubed pre, haven't had one in like 35 years. Moving away from using a receiver for that function has always been my goal. I just have a hard time settling for anything other than what I consider good sounding. Make sense ?

Mr. Wagner made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a pre he knew I'd like, and coveted for him to buy also. That Joule 300 has got to be the bomb. The Cary too, like I said any of them can be destination pieces.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Tony... I think you got pneumonia with all that coughing...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Congrats!!!!! That's awesome!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Its supposed to be a cold cr@py weekend anyway with a high of -2 Sunday. I say its the perfect weekend for some listening.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Why does my route bring me to the mid-west in winter? Darn cold up here.
    erniejade wrote: »
    Its supposed to be a cold cr@py weekend anyway with a high of -2 Sunday. I say its the perfect weekend for some listening.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Congrats Tony and RC both. Very Nice.
  • footwedge
    Options
    @tonyb

Guess you have supplanted your title "the enabler". Bet it sounds good to be an enablee. :p
  • tonyb
    Options
    I'm not above being the enablee. lol

Listened for about 6 hours last night with the wife so here are some initial thoughts. Recent memory taken into consideration, I'll compare to the Rhumba.

First off, The Joule LA-100 is replacing a mid level Pioneer receiver as the pre amp function. I don't think I need to dive too deeply into the sound improvements over that. Every aspect of the musical spectrum improved. There were somethings I was expecting, and some things I wasn't.

Considering the Joule has some age on it, and life of the tubes unknown, I was expecting a somewhat subdued sound with laid back highs and good mid bass. What I wasn't expecting was....the bass. Holy smokes was it good, mids all the way down into the lower registers. The Rhumba also had good bass, some of the better I've heard in tubed pre's but this just had another dimension of realism to it without being over blown or drawing attention to itself.

Matter of fact, none of the frequency ranges drew attention to itself, everything played in harmony from top down and the music just flowed. Not laid back, not too forward, just right. Lots of detail too, more than I was expecting, but I think the Rhumba had a bit more. I thought the Rhumba had a bit more separation of the instruments too but you'd never notice because everything just sounded so darn good.

The Rhumba also had good Prat, but so does the Joule. It has a boogie factor that simply surprised me from an older tubed pre. Given the years these were produced, I could now see how Joule made a name for themselves against the competition of the times. It just made you want to get off the couch and dance. I just didn't want to stop listening. There was no comparison to my old Sonic Frontiers, it was better all around. The SF had a bloom to it that could play well with certain songs and sound like mush on others. None of that here in the Joule, everything sounded great.

Not as good as the LA-150, but I'll be darn if it didn't carry many of the attributes. The rhythm and pace of this thing was stupid good, Bruno Mars sounded phenomenal . Never any strain in the upper registers, made some bad recordings actually sound better....but we all know bad recordings are bad recordings and you can only spit shine a t u r d so much.

Part of the problem I had with the receiver in the mix, was I thought somewhere in the chain I had a bad impedance mismatch, or just some not so good synergy. It wasn't hugely noticeable, but still bugged me. The Joule slid right in and made itself at home with it's new friends. So much so, my Butler amp seemed to have new life. It has this musical tension, like a lot of horsepower waiting to be used. The Joule let it breath more and showed the amp could do more than low level Barry Manillow crap.

I put the gain at about the 3 o'clock position and used the digital volume control on the Sonos. Only when pushed did I start to notice a bit of hash from that crappy volume control when the volume went way up. Lower volume details also improved. Before it seemed I had to turn it up to get the detailed presentation I wanted, not anymore. I had no lack of headroom to get to ear busting levels.

The manual states, this is a phase inverting pre amp. I however left things as is without switching the positive and negative cables on the speakers and it sounded just peachy. Also, I was expecting some hum issues given the age, dead arse quiet, and I mean not a peep. Someone along the line must have done work on this, all the caps and inside looked squeaky clean and almost like new.

Soundstage was wide enough but not as much so on the upper Joule products, then again much wider than the Pioneer. Needless to say, Tony is a happy camper with this piece. It has a sound that can please anyone, musical, fits right in with it's playmates, doesn't draw attention to itself, quiet as a church mouse and puts a smile on your face as soon as you hit play. Sure, I could ask for a little more of this or that in the musical spectrum, but your too busy just boogying to even notice. I've always liked the Joule sound, just never thought I would have one in my system.

Thanks again to Mr. Bob Wagner for thinking of me when he acquired it. The Joule isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's