2 channels or 3 channels

LethalLee
LethalLee Posts: 27
edited October 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Stereo is great for music but i feel im missing out on the mono sounds on a center that stereo playback wont reproduce in music. 3.1 is the plan im taking cause rear speakers just mess up imaging making you feel more in a car than a concert. Plus the center wont ruin the stereo playback cause it wont reproduce left or right signals directly if i set my reciever to large speakers playing full range. Im just trying to get more of the sound i am missing out on. Just like in a concert where in the center of the front row u can kinda hear the real drums and vocals not from the speakers.

Maybe 2 subs one for each front channel :D 3.2

Now who agrees with me here? :rolleyes:
Post edited by LethalLee on

Comments

• Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited October 2004
    If this helps at all, I remember reading somewhere that when moving from mono, it was intended to go to 3 Channels, but because of limitation of vinyl, they could only do two.
    I wish I remembered the link...
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2004
    I probably wouldn't do it. Any decent preamp/receiver has a mono setting. Try this. Don't just let your stereo rig reproduce a mono signal through each speaker. Make it work for you. It seems like this might just be a case of front/main speakers that could be arranged better. A mono signal at the sweet spot between a pair of speakers should sound like a single speaker but with more body than most single speakers
    Make it Funky! :)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited October 2004
    Just curious, what are your mains?

- Trey
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • LethalLee
    LethalLee Posts: 27
    edited October 2004
    Pioneer VSX-D1S reciever with CS-V975 mains. Reciever in mode1 has 130w/rms for fronts and 40w for center and surrounds. This was top of the line stuff around 10 years ago. My CS-V975 drivers from top to bottom order for each speaker, 8inch midbass, 2inch tweeter, 5 1/2 midrange, 12ich woofer. Freq response 30-20k. Old school paper cone sound. Bass is so good i havent bought a subwoofer yet and rattles my roof gutters and garage door from the basement (rattling that actually is cool to see). Since the center would only get 1/3 of the power i dont think it would affect the stereo effect. I have listened to 5 channel music before and the rears seem to ruin the live performance. Disconnected the rears and heard 3 channel and got a full front sound. Then disconnected the center and found out a huge chunk of music imaging just gone.

My front have been arranged perfectly but its not going to produce that discrete mono sound.

Thanks Mjr7531 I really think when moving from mono it goes to 3 channels.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by gidrah
    It seems like this might just be a case of front/main speakers that could be arranged better. A mono signal at the sweet spot between a pair of speakers should sound like a single speaker but with more body than most single speakers
    Nicely put, giddy...

LL,
    Play with speaker positioning. A center stage image should not be an issue. If they don't, adding a third, mono speaker is not going to improve anything as there will be no blending with the L/R ch's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    i'm not familiar with much of this, but: maybe 5-channel music is recorded with only stereo sounds for the L+R channels, then all mono sounds for center... if that's the case, then removing the center would clearly take out a big chunk of the music...

lee might be talking about reproducing 5-channel music... if so, there should be a control to mix the 5 channels down to 2, and then it should sound like the vocals are right in the middle, with the rest of the stuff arrayed left and right...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2004
    No, I think he has a positioning problem , too.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by amulford
    No, I think he has a positioning problem , too.

Thats what I think as well

Heck, even my Pioneers with 3 dollar tweeters and 15 dollar midranges puts out a stellar soundstage
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.